PDA

View Full Version : My 2021 Show - TX Pyro

esgrillo
07-11-2021, 10:02 AM
Finished the video for the show...

Well it was my year for the smoke. I have a lot of cameras running so I was able to a lot of editing to keep a pretty decent shot most of the show. Finale is super smokey though. I did a little PIP during it to show the carnage lol... its pretty funny with the amount of crap that was coming down near the shoot site.

I added one quickplug 18m this year that I used the ethernet outputs on for single shot slices. I have been using my 72m with slats at each platform so all 3 slats would fire with each cue on the 72m. This new set up allowed be to be more efficient with that 72m as I used the 18m for all the single shot slices and sweeps. You can see 6 of the cues used when during stairway to Heaven when I did sweeps. You can see the 6s mini slats during the set up portion of the video mounted to the front of my slat racks.

I made shirts for my set up crew this year... 10th year we have been doing this... Check out my attempt at humor on the back of the shirt... "If we run you run" ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5gTM8YJTB4&t=813s&ab_channel=TXPyro

Birdman
07-11-2021, 11:07 AM
Another awesome show. Shame the smoke got so thick but still....awesome!

ssmith512
07-11-2021, 11:40 AM
Time to invest in some 42" floor fans! LOL!

Despite the smoke, loved the show!

Jay_
07-12-2021, 08:34 AM
As always, another amazing show Ed. Love the single effect, particularly the comet work. The fine details like that are what continue to set you apart. Stairway was fantastic, and I have to say "something like this" was completely awesome with all of the little details in there. Love the slices with the mine chasers...again fantastic.

Hate that you got smoked out, but it happens to most of us at one time or another. I got smoked last year, and I have seen other shows get completely ruined by the smoke. You prevailed exceptionally well considering the conditions.

Also loved the finale, with the bangs spraying left to right. Ill bet your neighbors that didn't come to the show were not too fond of them though :)

I have a question, your patented comet/mine combos..do you wire those together, or do you give the comets and mines their own slats or own mods?

Lonely Bros Pyros
07-12-2021, 09:44 AM
Great show! I liked the different music choices as well.

esgrillo
07-12-2021, 12:35 PM
Jay, thank you.

Each of my tube style racks (Craig Co Style) has a dedicated mod. I have 8 of those.

I also have 3 40 shot Big Time Pyro racks racks using slats and fired with 1 36M. When you see 3 mines/comets going off the same time on the main 3 platforms, that is usually the one doing the work.

I also have 5 20 shot Big Time Pyro racks on slats running off an 18m so when a 5 shot set is going off on my 3 main and 2 small platforms that is usually firing.

Its just a little cheaper to use the slats vs a bunch of other mods even with the drawbacks of the added cables. The 25m cables are HEAVY and really fun to clean and roll up lol.

barehm
07-12-2021, 04:23 PM
that was crazy... very well done, sir!

mikepete777
07-12-2021, 04:59 PM
Great show, always like watching them.

Kooooou
07-12-2021, 06:15 PM
Excellent show all around even with all that smoke! You could've projected a movie against the smoke. Love the shirt verbiage too.

Scotty Rockets
07-12-2021, 07:22 PM
Great job as always!

jtfannin
07-12-2021, 07:39 PM
Great job Ed. The smoke gods were definitely up to a little mischief but with so many camera angles you got the upper hand.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-13-2021, 01:56 AM
Once again Ed shows why he in the backyard pyro king! Excellent song choices. Excellent choreography. Impeccable timing. Beautiful incorporation of flame, strobe, and lighting effects to accent the pyro. Simply awesome.

Way to go my pyro brother! Once again you knocked it out of the park!!

Jay_
07-13-2021, 08:41 AM
Jay, thank you.

Each of my tube style racks (Craig Co Style) has a dedicated mod. I have 8 of those.

I also have 3 40 shot Big Time Pyro racks racks using slats and fired with 1 36M. When you see 3 mines/comets going off the same time on the main 3 platforms, that is usually the one doing the work.

I also have 5 20 shot Big Time Pyro racks on slats running off an 18m so when a 5 shot set is going off on my 3 main and 2 small platforms that is usually firing.

Its just a little cheaper to use the slats vs a bunch of other mods even with the drawbacks of the added cables. The 25m cables are HEAVY and really fun to clean and roll up lol.

Thank you Ed, that was exactly what I was looking for. Been shooting with the cobra for several years now, but still haven't realized all of its flexibility. The light bulb is slowly starting to come on, but I still have a ton of learning to do to maximize what I can get out of what I already have.

Yeah, about those cables...I have a tub with all of my cables in it. I have 25 and 82 footers in it and it weighs probably around 120 pounds. Hell I have an 82' DB 50 cable that I bought by accident (expensive accident) that weighs around 30# by itself. Bad thing is that its still in the plastic...never been used and I have never bought the 36 shot slats for it.

esgrillo
07-14-2021, 08:13 AM
Thank you Ed, that was exactly what I was looking for. Been shooting with the cobra for several years now, but still haven't realized all of its flexibility. The light bulb is slowly starting to come on, but I still have a ton of learning to do to maximize what I can get out of what I already have.

Yeah, about those cables...I have a tub with all of my cables in it. I have 25 and 82 footers in it and it weighs probably around 120 pounds. Hell I have an 82' DB 50 cable that I bought by accident (expensive accident) that weighs around 30# by itself. Bad thing is that its still in the plastic...never been used and I have never bought the 36 shot slats for it.

Jay, since you have some cables already, definitely a good move to get some slats... the 25M cable is way more $ than the slats with covers.

WithReport
07-14-2021, 09:36 AM
Nicely done. Sorry about the smoke - that was our situation last year - it just hung in place and blocked much of the higher shells from views. You did a great job in editing with the cameras to get the show presented on video. And as always, you did an amazing job. I'm sure I've said this before and I'll likely say it again. Watching your videos on YouTube years ago was a big inspiration to step into attempts at backyard pyromusicals. And congrats on the 10 years of great shows. We look forward to more.

cutch316
07-14-2021, 05:33 PM
This is one of the best shows I?ve ever seen. Great job!

Mattp
07-15-2021, 02:54 PM
Amazing Ed!!! Beautiful stairway segment.. and yes all those single shots is ridiculous.. and stresses me out just thinking about the amount of time and labor that goes into it.. LOL .. crazy long bump bear run too ? and ya.. weather can definitely suck ? but awesome show..

esgrillo
07-16-2021, 12:05 AM
Amazing Ed!!! Beautiful stairway segment.. and yes all those single shots is ridiculous.. and stresses me out just thinking about the amount of time and labor that goes into it.. LOL .. crazy long bump bear run too ? and ya.. weather can definitely suck ? but awesome show..

Thank you sir. Yeah the single shots are really time consuming to set up... I guesstimate about 5 minutes each for unboxing, making sure you pick the right one, match, noodle/zip, set angles, and terminate to mod/slat With 500+ of them any number times 500 is a lot lol.

I had 3 sets of 10 fast fused bump bear going off every 15secs on the main platforms. Lasted about 50sec I guess.... so smoky at that point :(

esgrillo
07-16-2021, 08:17 PM
Once again Ed shows why he in the backyard pyro king! Excellent song choices. Excellent choreography. Impeccable timing. Beautiful incorporation of flame, strobe, and lighting effects to accent the pyro. Simply awesome.

Way to go my pyro brother! Once again you knocked it out of the park!!

Thanks Rick. Much appreciated

esgrillo
07-18-2021, 08:19 AM
This is one of the best shows I?ve ever seen. Great job!

cutch316, thanks, much appreciated.

esgrillo
07-19-2021, 04:55 PM
Great job Ed. The smoke gods were definitely up to a little mischief but with so many camera angles you got the upper hand.

jtfannin thank you sir..... yeah mother nature had some fun with me this time smoke wise... always a rain issue but this one was new

Salutecake
07-20-2021, 11:51 AM
Great Show esgrillo!!!!!!!!

I had a bit of a smoke problem my self, my only salvation was, just as soon as the smoke got bad for us, the 1.3 stuff starting going off, so a bit higher and a cleaner canvas.

May I ask how many total cue's you used?

Again Great show.

Arles
07-20-2021, 01:41 PM
Amazing as always. I've "borrowed" many things from your shows over the years. Thanks for sharing your work and expertise.

What causes the smoke to be worse than other times? Is it a certain temperature and or humidity combination at the time of the show or is it an effect of the products being warehoused or transported in less than ideal conditions?

mguerra
07-20-2021, 02:34 PM
Smoke is worse with less wind to blow it away, worse if the wind blows toward the audience, worse with cakes. The best wind is a light wind blowing away from the audience. If only we could control it...

esgrillo
07-21-2021, 06:35 PM
Smoke is worse with less wind to blow it away, worse if the wind blows toward the audience, worse with cakes. The best wind is a light wind blowing away from the audience. If only we could control it...

Like Michael said. This is the first time in 10yrs I had a significant problem with smoke. Usually it blows away from the audience and gives a clear view from that side. I ended up using the back side camera more than usual this year for the video because it was almost dead calm. I rained earlier too so the humidity sucked too. Bad combination, but hey I can't complain since I have been fortunate other years.

esgrillo
07-23-2021, 09:00 AM
Great Show esgrillo!!!!!!!!

I had a bit of a smoke problem my self, my only salvation was, just as soon as the smoke got bad for us, the 1.3 stuff starting going off, so a bit higher and a cleaner canvas.

May I ask how many total cue's you used?

Again Great show.

Thank you sir. There were 582 cues in the show. I counted up with the slats there were 940 matched items total.

Salutecake
07-23-2021, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the response esgrillo! Looks like I'll be off buying some more modules, lol. If the math works out I think I have 504 mods and maybe 20 slats. Maybe for next year. again thanks for the info and response.