PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Lipo Battery storage

ssmith512
07-10-2021, 10:48 AM
How do you all go about discharging your Cobra lipo batteries to storage voltage for long term storage?

jdels
07-10-2021, 11:32 AM
How do you all go about discharging your Cobra lipo batteries to storage voltage for long term storage?

I just looked into this this morning. From Cobras website:

The COBRA module only charges the LiPo battery to 85%. By doing this, the battery can withstand higher charge cycle quantities, and you don't run the risk of reducing the overall charge cycles by storing it at a 100% charge. For optimal storage, we recommend discharging the battery to about 50%; however, if you do not discharge the LiPo, you will see a negligible impact on charge cycles and battery life performance.

I thought about rigging up a light bulb and checking voltage until they hit 50% but after reading that I think I'm just going to remove them from the modules and store separately from the hardware.

Mattp
07-10-2021, 11:08 PM
In that same maintenance Manual they also say for the LiPo batteries no need to remove them … of course no harm in doing so… but cobra states it’s unnecessary… but yes recommend drawing them down to <~50%

Rick_In_Tampa
07-11-2021, 01:17 AM
I don't remove them. I just store them in the garage with the firing modules. I live in Tampa so it doesn't get down to 0F in the winter either.

Birdman
07-11-2021, 11:52 AM
I fully charged my batteries for the 4th. My plan is to not charge them again until next 4th. I'll probably use them one or two more times for small shows plus testing scripts etc between now and next 4th. That should> it doesn't seem there's much to be concerned about.

On a side note, I use the 9v batteries in my other mods to replace my smoke detector batteries each year and get new for my mods.

ssmith512
07-12-2021, 05:10 PM
Thanks friends.

I am very heavily involved in electric RC (helicopters) and have been around LiPo's for a long time. Pretty standard practice to discharge our LiPo's to 3.85V per cell for storage at the end of the flying day. I have some fancy combo chargers/dischargers for them that I used to get my Cobra LiPo's to storage charge voltage, was just curious what others did who might not have LiPo experience like I do or the equipment to charge/discharge/monitor them.