PDA

View Full Version : Firework manufacturing in the USA

Engineer Cat
07-08-2021, 01:28 AM
I don't know much about this which is why I'm asking.

I'm assuming the reason why China has such a command on fireworks manufacturing is because of the cheap labor. Yes they have hundreds of years of firework making under their belts but it seems strange that over time some of those expert builders didn't migrated to the US and bring that specialty here.

With our fascination with guns, how do we not have some serious USA fireworks manufactures pumping out consumer product like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory? The consumer market was almost 2 Billion dollars last year. I would think someone in the USA would want to take a big bite of that market by making fireworks here. We make something like 9 million guns a year here. How about they make 4 million guns and 5 million firework. :)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/business/the-largest-supplier-of-american-fireworks-is-from-china/

Engineer Cat
07-08-2021, 02:27 AM
https://www.americanpyro.com/industry-facts-figures

Icooclast
07-08-2021, 08:08 AM
i am also assuming that it's the cheap labor and not having to pay for such accessories to keep employee's safer. i don't recall ever seeing the chinese factory workers wearing masks (unless it's post covid) imagine breathing that powder in daily or or all that card board? but the cheap labor is likely the main reason (just a guess)

Mattp
07-08-2021, 09:12 AM
pretty crazy to see from 2108-2020... US consumer fireworks consumption practically doubled... and yes i would have to think alot if not all.. has to do with regulations and labor costs... but if china keep upping their regulations and shipping costs... at some point it may be beneficial to just have companies start making them here

Fox One
07-09-2021, 11:15 PM
And if there is simply no way we can even come close to competing with China on the price of fireworks using domestically produced items, could we at least maybe see American companies have their production outsourced overseas in areas where they can be competitive to China in terms of wages? I would imagine that there's lots of developing Asian nations in the vicinity of China that would love to see some factories go up in their countries. How about Vietnam? How about the Philippines? You could certainly have items manufactured there cheaper than here at home. And nations that are currently more friendly toward us would benefit. Why are we giving China all of our business? All we are doing is financing their massive military build-up that is aimed squarely at us. The Chinese aren't the only people in the world that can make fireworks. Even countries where fireworks haven't been traditionally made can be taught. It is time we find new sources of lower cost goods that won't play shenanigans with us, screw us over with tariffs and use the profits to build up a military machine intended to someday topple us.

Arclight
07-10-2021, 01:22 PM
I know that e-match and safety fuse are made in Mexico. That seems like start.