View Full Version : How long does it take to setup a show?

PyroFL
07-07-2021, 01:44 PM
I remember seeing a hot post about this so I thought I would keep track so I would know what to expect next year at this level.

We were a new crew and 3 of us had done 50-60 cake fuse changing shows but this year it was a lot different.

- New to Cobra system
- Poking cakes
- And 400+ mortars more then we normally do

From unloading the rental truck, cutting tops, building boards, wiring racks and single shot racks to pushing the go button on my 18R2 it was 236 1/2 man hours. This doesn?t include clean up, scripting, editing music or Researching fireworks.

Am sure we can cut the time down to 190-196 man hours next year ... maybe a little more.

Here is what we setup:

4 Fire Machines
506 Mortars
136 cakes
148 single shots (comet & mines)
50 slice

The math came out to 10.7 hours per 1 minute of show.

I am thinking next year we can cut 1 1/2 - 2 man hours off per minute of show time.

So to answer this debate a month ago it depends what size show you have, what level the pyro crew is, chain fusing or using a electronica system and if it?s a 1.4, 1.4Pro or 1.3 show.

Food for thought for next year planing and setting time to get it all done.

I way under ESTIMATED and now we have the numbers for next year.

PyroFL
07-07-2021, 01:55 PM
Forgot

25 Final Racks/9 on a board of which 8 of them we fused to be single shot racks when we needed them

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5863&stc=1

Fox One
07-08-2021, 05:19 PM
Long enough to drain an entire cooler full of Powerade usually. I need to get smart and buy a canopy to put up for shade over the spot where I am working. Maybe even bring out a big fan of some sort. It is pretty brutal setting up all day out in the July heat/humidity with no shade and working against the clock. I don't mind most of the other work though, such as poking cakes, fusing shells, etc. It is definitely time consuming to the max and slow work. But it gets spread out over time and can be done inside in more comfortable conditions. But you know what, the only part of the effort I seem to hate is next day clean-up. There is no fun in that at all. It is like when you were a kid, it was always super fun to put up the Christmas tree, the lights and various decorations because you were anticipating the coming holiday. But taking all that stuff down and returning it to storage once Christmas is over is no fun at all. Haha.

PyroFL
07-08-2021, 05:29 PM
Yes yes yes!!! On the pop up tent and fans!!!

Heat index was 102? here in FL most of the day which is no fun at all

I will be changing up 1/3 of my show next year which should cut my time on setup day in half or less.

We ended up with 5 blower fans and a tent this year after we got beat up in the sun last year

Anyone, know how do you make the post photo bigger not a thumbnail?

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5870&stc=1

morrison2951
07-08-2021, 08:15 PM
Just click on the thumbnail photo.... it will open up to full scale.

AJ Rhino
07-09-2021, 08:32 AM
364 days. starting on July 5th, every year.

mguerra
07-09-2021, 10:25 AM
I consider the shade canopies to be mission critical. We always have at least three if not more. I poke, match, and store 1.4G cakes well ahead in my barn. I have a tolerance for transporting matched 1.4G product, many people will not. I label the matches for mod and cue. I try to load the product in my van or trailer by station. I can drive to station A and unload it, then to station B and unload and so on. It's much faster and less tiring than distributing the product out from a central spot. Depending on the shoot site and the security of the area, I may set up some or all of it the day before. That includes the canopies, fire extinguishers, work tables, 1.3G racks and any 1.4G product, wired in to modules, I feel safe to be left overnight. Bag the product and the modules for rain and dew, tarp if you wish, pull the batteries out of the modules. Most sites aren't secure enough but when you can do it it saves a ton of time. Sometimes I do it at night, out of the sun. If you have to do everything the day of, try to start pre dawn, as early as you are willing to get up, it's cooler and gives you all day so you aren't scrambling at 8:30 or 9:00! You might even get to eat and enjoy guests and family.