PDA

View Full Version : A fan's review of a "professional" fireworks show

MontanaMike
07-05-2021, 02:22 PM
We couldn't fire our own show this year, so my wife and I decided to go to the "largest fireworks display" in our state. There are three or four displays in the state that claim that title, I'm not sure which one is truly the biggest, so we went to the one nearest to us. As expected, it was pretty big. They claimed to be firing about $70,000 in 1.3 product.

Beyond the impressive quantity, sadly, they broke just about every rule in the fireworks-display book.

1. It started off well -- the show opened with a volley of shells, followed by two girls singing the National Anthem, which was very good, especially when the lyrics got to "the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air", they shot three red comets followed by a burst of salutes, which I thought was VERY cool.

2. Unfortunately things went downhill from there. After the anthem, a long (at least 10 minutes) reading was played, which was hard to hear from our seats. I think it had to do with the events leading to the national anthem being written. It was probably at least 15 minutes from the time the first volley went up to the beginning of the actual main body of the fireworks.

2. From there, it got worse. The pacing was horrible. They stopped the show at least four, or maybe five times, to make announcements, ask for donations, beg for applause ("Do you want to see some more???" or "Make some noise for all of our volunteers, they're doing this for you!!!" etc.) Each break was two or three minutes long. The strangest was the fourth time they stopped, they asked for a "moment of silence" for a fireman who had died. Now I'm all for honoring the dead, that's great, but "DURING" a fireworks display? They should have had the silence BEFORE the show started, would have been way more effective and moving.

3. The music was terrible. They played slow country songs, something with bagpipes I didn't recognize, and of course "God Bless the USA" which was fine the first 10,000 times it's been used, but jeeeez I'm sick of that song. At one point they started playing a song, and it cut off and changed to a different song. There was no synchronization to the fireworks, it was just background music but I longed for some rock'n'roll.

4. There was too much sky puke. The show was way too long. For the majority of time, it seemed like they were just randomly firing stuff. The show was electronically fired, but apparently not scripted. The overall show lasted OVER AN HOUR from the time the first shells went up to the end of the finale. It is the first ever show I've seen where I was beyond ready for it to be over. I was relieved (instead of sad) when it finally WAS over. Even the freaking finale was probably at least four minutes.

This show draws about 30,000 people annually (to a town of less than 10,000 people) and as disappointed as I was in it, I suppose there were a lot of people who loved it and thought it was awesome. But, somebody needs to tell the organizers that Quantity doesn't always mean Quality. They could have done a show twice as good with half of the product. Usually upon leaving a good fireworks show I have an immediate desire to see another one, but in this case, I have about zero desire to see this particular show again, which is something I've never said about a fireworks display. Maybe I was just over-hyped about this one, because I've been hearing about it and wanting to see it for many years and this was my first time seeing it.

MontanaMike
07-05-2021, 03:49 PM
As an aside, when I say they "broke every rule in the fireworks display book" I should note that they didn't break SAFETY rules -- the show just suffered from design and pacing, but it was safely fired.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-05-2021, 05:10 PM
Sorry to hear you had a bad time. I guess one of the side effects of being what Dave calls an "advanced pyro-technician" is that you know how things are supposed to be done. So when they don't conform with your norms, it's quite disappointing. That's unfortunate too as I'm assuming you had to pay to be disappointed.

MontanaMike
07-08-2021, 12:31 PM
It was free admission thankfully, but we did have to drive 108 miles each way to see it. My wife is not even a pyromaniac like me, and she didn't like it either.

esgrillo
07-08-2021, 01:31 PM
we all become a little pyro snobby I guess after taking the time to put together shows lol... I would have been thinking the same as you

Salutecake
07-08-2021, 04:20 PM
Sounds Very Disappointing MontanaMike! The Music part is always hard - played to many times or not knowing the song in either case people loose interest -both mistakes in my mind. Do all the begging, announcements and such if appropriate in the beginning. I can easily put a pause in a fireworks show to let the ooh's and ah's out, I think people need that, but that's just a pause. I know what you mean about sky puke but that can be relative. Length, I could probably watch fireworks for about an hour, every night, lol, and the experts say no more than 20 minutes, I think a good to great show is 35 to 40 minutes. So the 70,000 in product???? So I could be off on this but a general rule of thumb for pricing a pro show use to be 3 to 4 times the product. So what you or I would pay for a 3" shell 5 bucks a piece, a 4" shell I'll saw 8 bucks -- 5" run about 15 6" about 35. and that's what we would pay, I don't know what they pay for them wholesale. If you used all 5" (which I doubt) you would still be shooting over 4500 shells, at 70,000 of product, that's a lot!!!!

Engineer Cat
07-08-2021, 04:47 PM
A few years back my town advertised a PRO fireworks display to take place in our largest park. So of course I went to check it out and I was disappointed after the first 5 mins. There was nothing PRO about it. Every single cake was 1.4 and I did not see any racks in the setup. They just drop cakes all around and lit them by hand.

If I had the proper credentials I could of received a permit from the town and did the same thing. I would of called it an "advanced pyro-technician" show, not a "PRO" show. Now there are other towns in the area that do PRO shows and they are legit.

I am lucky though as I'm 10 mins from Manhattan NY so I can always go watch the Macys fireworks when I'm not shooting my own stuff.

MontanaMike
07-09-2021, 03:42 PM
If you used all 5" (which I doubt) you would still be shooting over 4500 shells, at 70,000 of product, that's a lot!!!!

Well.... they probably had at least 70 large 1.3 cakes, maybe more. They had one of the USA flag units, and a "candle" piece about 10 feet tall that went off during the "moment of silence." And I have no idea how many mortar tubes, hundreds for sure. The shoot area was too far away to get good pics, but they had just about every size of shell up to 6" for sure. And of course, a lot of salutes that went up before it all started.

In their promotional bits, they were advertising "around 15,000 shots" which I assume was a count of the mortars + all the shots in the cakes. It was definitely a shit-ton of product.

Mattp
07-10-2021, 11:52 PM
Sounds like an odd event for sure…whenever I go to a public display.. I find myself trying to name all the effects I see now.