PDA

View Full Version : Very Disappointed in Dominator 76mm Mines

gecko2015
07-05-2021, 02:00 AM
I purchased 8x 76mm Dominator Mines this year (2 Gold Blink and 6 Red to Blue) - ALL but one blew out it's bottom plug upon ignition nearly canceling it's intended effect. During the show, I noticed they were very unimpressive but wasn't sure why. Last year, I used consumer-grade mines that were significantly more impressive in their aerial report and 'thump' produced. It wasn't until cleanup I noticed ALL but one 76mm mine blew out it's bottom plug upon ignition and that was why it produced a significantly downgraded effect; being most of the energy was directed into the ground and not in the air. I don't have any pictures of them after they were shot, but the bottom plugs of the 7 were completely blown out and the ground underneath them was burnt. They were tightly zip-tied (2 zips) to Big-Time Pyro's comet racks and I don't believe that had any part in their failures.

They were also stored in a dry/warm garage for only about 3 months prior to the show with no moisture. Has anyone else experienced this with 76mm mines from Dominator? I don't know if I just got a really bad batch or there might be something I'm missing. Regardless, it's really put me off on using them in any future shows due to the high failure rate I had this year with them.

Any ideas?

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5817&stc=1m http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5817&stc=1

Mattp
07-05-2021, 09:39 AM
I would imagine if this was a common problem.. no one would use them .. most likely you got a bad batch ? can?t think of anything you could?ve done wrong to cause this ? sure sounds like a problem at the factory? maybe bad glue .. or no glue/staples ??

tmwjr
07-05-2021, 10:30 AM
I had this problem with the flower brocade ones in the same rack last year. I didn't have the problem in a wooden rack. They had the cork looking plug. I don't think there's enough support in that rack.

tmwjr
07-05-2021, 10:31 AM
For a different show I slipped some 1x4 under them for support and didn't have the problem.

Jay_
07-05-2021, 10:44 PM
That?s crazy, I was going to post the same thread but reverse about my 1-4 year old dominator stuff that performed flawlessly while my s/o 76 stuff either broke low, caught fire, or in the case of one of the gold flitter fountain just exploded. Mine had all been stored in dry but humid conditions like yours, just for longer.

Sorry about your bad luck. I shot several dom 3? mines, but all of mine went as intended. They were all 2 years old

displayfireworks1
07-06-2021, 09:00 AM
I'm still playing catch up, let me take a minute to answer this. I can't speak for any company but in general I'll answer. In the past I have had 1.3 failures and received replacement products. You just need to document it in some fashion. When the show is over get your phone and take pictures of product that blew apart of did not perform well. We all have cell phones that can take pictures.
Not that this is what happened in your case, my experience has been most E-Fire displays have errors. Most times the audience never notices. Or if they notice they forget about it quickly LOL Most of these 1.3 distributors I know of will make good on defective product. Sent those pictures and emails to where your purchased, see what they say.

gecko2015
07-06-2021, 09:43 AM
I had this problem with the flower brocade ones in the same rack last year. I didn't have the problem in a wooden rack. They had the cork looking plug. I don't think there's enough support in that rack.

I noticed they all had cork plugs as well. The plugs were stapled in from the sides. Judging from the comments on here, it seems like you're right. It may have been caused by them not having support on the bottom as others have also said they typically add if their setup doesn't have one. Very interesting! If that's the case, sounds like I'll be keeping an eye on any mines I might receive in the future with cork plugs and plan accordingly.

I appreciate the responses.

mikepete777
07-06-2021, 12:41 PM
Bummer, hopefully was just a fluke

Birdman
07-06-2021, 03:34 PM
Almost all of the bases blew out of my mines that weren't in racks. I'm pretty sure they all fire though. I haven't analyzed my video that closely yet to say for sure.