PDA

View Full Version : safety question for hand firing salute shells

MixedBreed
07-02-2021, 10:53 PM
Hi guys like some others I'm somewhat new to the game and I'm trying to be safe so I need some advice. I have 12 display shells (2" salutes) that I want to use as part of a finale and also some single or doubles in between.

Its going to be on the beach in mostly soft sand (wide open area with nothing/nobody else around and close to the water).

I'm trying to figure out the best way to hand fire the salutes. I have six 2" fiberglass tubes for the salutes (could not find hdpe in time). I also have a 12 shot wooden angle rack with dr11 1.91" hdpe tubes for consumer shells.

So what's the best way to fire these salutes out of the 2" tubes? If I swap out 6 tubes in the rack, the 2" tubes take up less space because the outer diameter is smaller than the 1.91s...so they fit kind of wobbly in the rack next to each other. Is is still safe to fire out of the rack like that? Can I shoot 6 at once or in sequence and the rack would hold up? The rack is from pyroboom so I'd like to think its built pretty solid.

Should I bury each of the 6 tubes in the sand instead..I assume then it wouldn't matter if I did 6 at once? Should I use the bucket method..I have a 35 gallon bucket that could actually fit all 6 in at once.

Thanks for the advice.

Engineer Cat
07-03-2021, 01:17 AM
I'm really not qualified to comment on this as I don't posses a Type 54, but by reading posts from those that do have a Type 54, I would think burring them in the sand is the safest bet. Why bother with sticking them in a 35 gallon bucket when you have access to a 5 million gallon bucket called the beach. I would just burry the tubes leaving a few inches above the sand so you don't accidently kick sand into the tubes.

I figure everyone is busy this weekend so you might not get a quick reply so I offered my 2 cents. LoL

If it was me, I'd dig.

Mattp
07-03-2021, 07:37 AM
Not sure what type of rack it is… if they are all jammed in next to each other.. than you want them snug.. but if each tube has its own slot.. a little loose is fine… I’ve never used 2” before.. but I thought the od was supposed to be the same as 1.75…which can be confusing when next to each other.. but yes burying in the sand is also a great way to go… just need to make sure the bottom isn’t sitting in water

vegassalute
10-04-2021, 09:47 AM
Burying in dry sand is good, providing it's tight. Also, as you undoubtedly know, the racks should be perp to your audience in case (God forbid) there's a failure and the racks fall, they won't fire in the direction of your spectators. Be careful and best wishes on your show. (If the show already happened, I hope it was a great one).