PDA

View Full Version : E-matching strobes

ssmith512
07-02-2021, 05:34 PM
Greeting fellow pyros!

Quick question regarding e-matching strobes - as this is my first. The strobes I got are not e-matched from the factory, they just have visco fuse. Am I correct in thinking that I can simply expose the head of an MJG and tape it directly to the black powder slurry on top of the strobe to e-fire it? Thanks in advance!

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5812&stc=1

joewad
07-02-2021, 06:42 PM
I'd wait till someone with experience with this answers your question but (no experience here) it seems like it takes a lot of ignition to start its propagation. And a MJG initiator may not have enough horsepower. If you have enough time an extra strobe and MJG I'd go to test mode.

Okimarine
07-02-2021, 06:53 PM
I would just cut the fuse closer to the strobe and attach the ematch directly to the shortened fuse.

displayfireworks1
07-02-2021, 07:30 PM
This is one of my unlisted video from 2017. You can view it here. What you need to know is that black paste looking stuff has a surface that will light the strobe. Anywhere on top of that now dried paste is flammable. In this video you will see me place an electric match directly on top of the black dried paste and it will light. Between 2017 and 2021 I get better results adding black powder under that tape and electric match , or adding strands of quick match and/or even quick fuse under the tape and electric match. To quote my now deceased old Italian pyro friend "Add lots of Fire Dave"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_sgw3nZP3E

hatsgoods
07-02-2021, 07:30 PM
tape the ematch to the black slurry mix on top of the strobe. thats what ive done for last few years with storbes. just like daves video but i leave the shourd on

Mattp
07-03-2021, 07:26 AM
I had the same issue … the “pro” strobes I ordered only had fuses … so I tested and did this just yesterday.. it worked fist shot… but I actually popped up that black slurry… comes right up… then put the igniter in.. then put the black slurry on top.. and taped it up… guess it was unnecessary,,, but it worked just as well

ssmith512
07-03-2021, 08:57 AM
Perfect!! Thank you Dave for posting that video - just what I needed to see. Thanks Kelli and MattP for confirming!!

vegassalute
10-04-2021, 09:49 AM
This is one of my unlisted video from 2017. You can view it here. What you need to know is that black paste looking stuff has a surface that will light the strobe. Anywhere on top of that now dried paste is flammable. In this video you will see me place an electric match directly on top of the black dried paste and it will light. Between 2017 and 2021 I get better results adding black powder under that tape and electric match , or adding strands of quick match and/or even quick fuse under the tape and electric match. To quote my now deceased old Italian pyro friend "Add lots of Fire Dave"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_sgw3nZP3E

Totally agree. Ever since I saw one of Dave's videos on this topic (several years ago) I almost always add some BP into my buckets and junctions. If nothing else, it give me peace of mind that the fire will seamlessly xfer. To failures thus far.

Rick_In_Tampa
10-07-2021, 05:43 AM
I know I'm coming to the party late, but that's how I do it too. I gently tug on the visco fuse so it slides out, then I pull back the shroud and slide the initiator through the same hole and center it on the black slurry. Tape it off and you're done. Never had a problem getting them to light.