PDA

View Full Version : I am officially nervous/anxious/curious/excited/a bit stressed

ssmith512
06-28-2021, 03:17 PM
....all at the same time LOL!!

First time Cobra user (I have played around with it and am comfortable and familiar with it - just never shot a full "show" with it)
First time I have scripted a show
First time I have used MJG ignitors
First time I have poked cakes
First time I have setup a sound "system"
First time I have used Audacity and created a soundtrack and mixed/merged/modified audio files
First time I have synched fireworks to music (tried to at least)
First time I have ordered wholesale fireworks and had them delivered from out of state
First time I will have 1.3 product in a display (very little of it 99% of the product is 1.4 or 1.4PRO)
First time I am setting up a multiple location site (Left - Center - Right)

I have jumped in with both feet.

Been planning / scripting / tweaking / changing / adding / changing / tweaking / changing /planning (well you get the idea) for the past 9 months - because I am freaky obsessed like that. I have notes and reminders and timelines all written up. I have been falling asleep every night now for the past 3 weeks going over setup/what I still need to do/etc.

It'll all be OK,........right?!?!?! :D

Anyone else starting to get those butterflies in your gut?

Kooooou
06-28-2021, 04:12 PM
Have fun with it and hope it all goes as scripted! No butterflies here but I am more worried about another 5 hour rain delay (setup time lost) like I seem to have every year, or worse a fire ban.

Engineer Cat
06-29-2021, 01:29 AM

First time Cobra user (I have played around with it and am comfortable and familiar with it - just never shot a full "show" with it)
First time I have used Audacity and created a soundtrack and mixed/merged/modified audio files
First time I have ordered wholesale fireworks and had them delivered from out of state
First time I will have 1.3 product in a display (very little of it 99% of the product is 1.4 or 1.4PRO)

Been planning / scripting / tweaking / changing / adding / changing / tweaking / changing /planning (well you get the idea) for the past 9 months - because I am freaky obsessed like that. I have notes and reminders and timelines all written up. I have been falling asleep every night now for the past 3 weeks going over setup/what I still need to do/etc.

Hahahah you got it bad. It's all very exciting. I purchased a Firelinx firing system a month ago. So I'm scripting my first show to music on it July 3rd. I've been planning the show for a few months before I decided to buy a pro firing system. I couldn't rely on the Chinese one I've been using for years. And it was time to advance as I outgrew that system pretty quick.

I don't have butterflies but I am in the middle of changing some timing of shells. I realized tonight while getting ready to fuse up shells that I only have 1, 20ft roll of quick fuse left. Thought I had more. My show is a short 4 1/2 mins but I have 26 shells that need to be airborne fairly quickly for the final blasts and I don't want to use MJGs for all of that. The good thing is pretty much everything else will be poked which is what I want to keep my MJGs for.

I realize that "I" will always know if something didn't go off or not on time but no one else is really going to give a shit. They will enjoy it so why get myself worked up over something that apparently I can't control no matter how many months I work on it. ;)

Rick_In_Tampa
06-29-2021, 01:44 AM
I get that you have butterflies. It's normal. Just make sure you test fire your script to make sure it runs start to finish. If it works, that's 99% of the battle right there.

BMoore
06-29-2021, 10:08 AM
Wow, that sounds like what is normally a 5 year or longer progression crammed into one show! Good for you! If it were me I'd wire the whole thing up and run through your script popping matches just to make sure it's working the way you think it should. I think part of the fun of this is there is really no dress rehearsal. Until you fire your show there is really no way to know if it is going to go the way you envisioned. Chances are there will be some issues, but your audience will probably never even notice.

Scotty Rockets
06-29-2021, 10:18 AM
I have been doing this for 20+ years, If you are not worrying and all that, then there is something wrong with you, LOL.

SystemXpert
06-29-2021, 10:52 AM

Yes......with the exception of the 1.3 product, I am in the same situation! Now...I am watching the weather...hoping for the best!

mguerra
06-29-2021, 04:47 PM
:eek:I get this recurring dream that it’s sunset but for some reason I haven’t even started setting up yet. Then somehow I’m in a building and freaking out about the ceiling being in the way. Then I’m standing there staring at the product but frozen and can’t figure out which product to choose nor how to set it up. Suddenly the firing system is not my Cobra but some weirdo WWII looking radio that I have no clue how to operate. And it goes on..
Yes, I get nervous as hell starting about a week out, and of course at shoot time it always works out fine:D

randomrobot
06-29-2021, 05:05 PM
I'm still on visco and stressing a little. I've got everything pretty much charted out but this year I lost my workshop area so I'll be doing everything the night before and storing it in the back of the truck under the carport under tarps. Suppose to get some rain so ugh. I really enjoy watching YouTube videos of each cake, timing them out, calculating the fuse, fusing everything. Last minute on finding pipe and getting my rack out together isn't helping either. The one inch shells I wrapped in 1/2" foam to fill the tubes is another stressor. Hoping the go off ok and don't just tumble all over the place. Anyways, it's the final countdown! I love that we can set off an arsenal of explosives in the middle of the neighborhood. What's more 'merica than that!

displayfireworks1
06-29-2021, 06:52 PM
ssmith512 and Engineer Cat jumping into the game big time. One with a Cobra and the other with a Firelinx. Scripted displays and all. Not sure what system SystemXpert is using. I think it is all just great. I know everyone will all be busy on the day of the shoot. Find someone to get some daytime setup pictures. Would be nice for me to see, especially on the Firelinx.
The anxiety gets its best in the last 5 minutes before shoot time when using a fireworks firing systems. Reading this brings back a memory for me from back in the day when FireOne had 20 different connections to the main , the computer the time code radio , the power supply etc. LOL I was one of three barges in the river in Pittsburgh where the three river meet at "The Point" sitting in this little plywood shed surround by a mass of wires and racks in total darkness. I heard my time code on the radio and saw the computer shot clock start. When that first shot went off and I heard the audience cheer, it felt so great. I am hoping you all experience that good feeling and a sense of accomplishment when that moment occurs for you.

Engineer Cat
06-29-2021, 10:52 PM
ssmith512 and Engineer Cat jumping into the game big time. One with a Cobra and the other with a Firelinx. Scripted displays and all. Not sure what system SystemXpert is using. I think it is all just great. I know everyone will all be busy on the day of the shoot. Find someone to get some daytime setup pictures. Would be nice for me to see, especially on the Firelinx.
The anxiety gets its best in the last 5 minutes before shoot time when using a fireworks firing systems. Reading this brings back a memory for me from back in the day when FireOne had 20 different connections to the main , the computer the time code radio , the power supply etc. LOL I was one of three barges in the river in Pittsburgh where the three river meet at "The Point" sitting in this little plywood shed surround by a mass of wires and racks in total darkness. I heard my time code on the radio and saw the computer shot clock start. When that first shot went off and I heard the audience cheer, it felt so great. I am hoping you all experience that good feeling and a sense of accomplishment when that moment occurs for you.

Thanks Dave, you have been a huge help in advancing my pyro skills. Your videos and this forum is the best place to go for people like us looking to advance. You point us in all the right places to learn more. My next step is joining a club.

I will absolutely be uploading photos and video of the setup and show.

SystemXpert
06-30-2021, 03:26 AM

I am using Cobra and thank you for kind words of support! I’ve never met you, but I have watched many of your videos. You bet I will be posting pictures soon. I might end up shooting Friday night July 2nd due to yucky weather forecasts here in South near the Gulf.

barehm
06-30-2021, 10:22 AM
add my name to the list of new cobra users. I work out my anxiety by dry running my script every night before bed :).

Engineer Cat
06-30-2021, 01:22 PM
add my name to the list of new cobra users. I work out my anxiety by dry running my script every night before bed :).

:D
Hehehe I do the same with the Firelinx. I'm so ready!

ssmith512
06-30-2021, 04:36 PM

Yep. Me too!!

MontanaMike
07-01-2021, 03:41 PM

Outside of the 1.3, you described my first year of electronic firing exactly. In fact, I remember using that exact phrase "We are jumping in with both feet" to my firing partner, Keith. He said, "Ya think??"

Our first year we had 4 modules, Audiobox, wholesale product in case lots, the whole bit. It went off perfectly.

It's gotten to the point now where I enjoy the run-up to the show (planning, buying product, fusing, doing the script) almost as much as the show itself. So now we're at 8 modules, all of which have been upgraded to Lipo and quickplugs, and now I'm planning our 2022 show because we got canceled for this year (due to extreme drought/dryness).

But the bottom line, as others have said, the time to worry is if you DON'T get the pre-show butterflies. These are performances, so we get just as nervous as a musician going on stage. The only difference is our stage is the night sky.