PDA

View Full Version : Think I bit off more than I can chew!

chssteakjedi
06-28-2021, 02:09 PM
I've always been a fan of fireworks. I remember how awesome it was when I was a kid and I love watching the faces of my children watching fireworks as well. This year I connected with a friend of mine and purchased in bulk to help save a bit of money as compared to going to the local stand. I went with all 500G cakes this year before I jump into anything larger. We're splitting the cost across multiple houses in our cul-de-sac to make it a bit more digestible as well. So far I have the following from SFX Fireworks:

4 - One If By Land
4 - Two If By Sea
4 - Lady Liberty
4 - Color Rush
4 - Comet Storm
4 - Spectre
4 - Whacky Tobacky

I'm going to be running everything through a P1200 that my friend is letting me use. I'm becoming a bit overwhelmed at how to stage and sequence them for the best show as well as music. Any suggestions for a newbie? Thanks in advance!

barehm
06-28-2021, 02:12 PM
My two cents: don't worry about advanced timing and matching it to music right now. Especially if you're just lighting the visco. Pick a music theme and play some background music - maybe that's patriotic songs or some fun pop music that's upbeat. Just remember it can get loud and not to pick too many quiet songs!

GyroPyro420
06-28-2021, 02:17 PM
I've always been a fan of fireworks. I remember how awesome it was when I was a kid and I love watching the faces of my children watching fireworks as well. This year I connected with a friend of mine and purchased in bulk to help save a bit of money as compared to going to the local stand. I went with all 500G cakes this year before I jump into anything larger. We're splitting the cost across multiple houses in our cul-de-sac to make it a bit more digestible as well. So far I have the following from SFX Fireworks:

4 - One If By Land
4 - Two If By Sea
4 - Lady Liberty
4 - Color Rush
4 - Comet Storm
4 - Spectre
4 - Whacky Tobacky

I'm going to be running everything through a P1200 that my friend is letting me use. I'm becoming a bit overwhelmed at how to stage and sequence them for the best show as well as music. Any suggestions for a newbie? Thanks in advance!

wikifireworks is your friend for finding timing of cakes for your shows. I hjave a cobra firing system so I can't really inform you with your p1200 system.

chssteakjedi
06-28-2021, 02:23 PM
@barehm - I just plan on playing music in the background. I won't actually try timing it this year :)

@GyroPyro420 - That link is super helpful. It helps me visualize things much better!

RalphieJ
06-28-2021, 02:36 PM
@barehm - I just plan on playing music in the background. I won't actually try timing it this year :)

@GyroPyro420 - That link is super helpful. It helps me visualize things much better!

Please don't blare the music at 11 on the dial.

barehm
06-28-2021, 03:01 PM
One other note - 4 of the same thing in a sequential show might get boring; even if you don't do them back to back. If you have two firing positions, two at once can help. Otherwise, you might consider buying more product and storing some for next year. No matter how hard I 'try' not to build up extra cakes, I always have 50-75 stashed in case of... emergencies? :)

ssmith512
06-28-2021, 03:03 PM
Just have fun with it!

I wouldnt worry about any particular sequence or order. Just send them up randomly. The crowd will love it.

My 1 suggestion would be to at least save 2 of the whacky's and 2 of the color rush for the "finale". Fire one of the whacky's, then 2 seconds later fire the other whacky and 5 seconds later fire both color rush at the same time (or as close to the same time as you can). Will be nice crowd pleaser to end a great show IMO.

Arles
06-28-2021, 04:14 PM
SFX has some very cool stuff, I'm a fan. (Although I went in hard for American Wholesale this year)

Even if you don't have a Cobra, I would suggest getting Cobra's Show Creator and using the Beta version. Once you're familiar with it, it really helps you visualize the timing of everything. I used to do it on a spreadsheet and the Show Creator software makes it much easier.

chssteakjedi
06-28-2021, 04:38 PM
SFX has some very cool stuff, I'm a fan. (Although I went in hard for American Wholesale this year)

Even if you don't have a Cobra, I would suggest getting Cobra's Show Creator and using the Beta version. Once you're familiar with it, it really helps you visualize the timing of everything. I used to do it on a spreadsheet and the Show Creator software makes it much easier.

This is just what I was looking for! Thank you!

Scotty Rockets
06-28-2021, 11:05 PM
Just a few tips... most important is your opener and finale. You want to open hard and fast, impress them, same for the finale. Your body section, I would showcase certain effects throughout, have peaks and valleys in your show changing up the tempo throughout. Remember the big picture, fill from the ground, mid section and sky with effects. Finale should end without stragglers, which is actually difficult to do with cakes, but try you best.

Engineer Cat
06-29-2021, 12:38 AM

Does the show creator provide a script in the form of an excel sheet CSV file once you got your show locked down? I currently download videos of the product I'm going to use, put them in a video editing software to setup where I want them in the song and then manually review the time I have for each effect, adjust for any fuse or break timing and then enter it into a spreadsheet. I then upload that to my Firelinx.

Birdman
06-29-2021, 07:20 AM
Does the show creator provide a script in the form of an excel sheet CSV file once you got your show locked down? I currently download videos of the product I'm going to use, put them in a video editing software to setup where I want them in the song and then manually review the time I have for each effect, adjust for any fuse or break timing and then enter it into a spreadsheet. I then upload that to my Firelinx.

Yes, you can export the show in CSV. There's lots of other helpful features that you may find useful as well.

R. Derrick
06-29-2021, 08:04 AM
I'm a newbie so I hope to be able to help you in the future! Last year I did my first "show" it was long fuse like you're doing (I think). We didn't have music and I think that would've added to the enjoyment. Everyone had a good time nonetheless, and there was quiet time in between a few cakes which only led to the anticipation of what was going to happen.. you could see the fuse still going...

Good luck with your show, I'd like to see it, if you record it.

Engineer Cat
06-29-2021, 04:39 PM
Yes, you can export the show in CSV. There's lots of other helpful features that you may find useful as well.

Does it have a good majority of consumer products to choose from or does it favor certain brands? I'd hate to buy it just to find out most of the stuff I can get are not loaded into the software.

Arles
06-29-2021, 05:04 PM
Does it have a good majority of consumer products to choose from or does it favor certain brands? I'd hate to buy it just to find out most of the stuff I can get are not loaded into the software.

It doesn't come with anything loaded, but you can import from Wikifireworks or add your stash yourself. Some of the information on Wikifireworks is incomplete, so I've found that unless it's a well known cake, I just add it manually because I often end up having to look up the video anyway. It's a one time set up and isn't hard. You'll want to have at least the duration and a video for each item that you can find on Youtube. I believe you can demo the software for free. I think it's a very slick program that I couldn't do a display without.

Birdman
06-30-2021, 09:12 AM
I add all of my product manually. It only take a couple of minutes once you get the hang of it.

Here's a realy short highlight video:

https://youtu.be/NudJNHNczOk

esgrillo
06-30-2021, 08:42 PM
Whacky Tobacky is a great NOAB... nice and high. I use them in my finale every year. If one of your cakes is pretty low, shoot that at the same time... it will make a nice effect.