PDA

View Full Version : The joy of living in an HOA

Rick_In_Tampa
06-26-2021, 11:20 PM
So a resident posted a message on our HOA FaceBook page last week asking if there will be a fireworks show this year. I usually don't respond to that because until last year, fireworks were illegal and I didn't want to give our HOA board morons time to give me trouble. Last year though, our Governor signed a new law making it legal to shoot fireworks on the 4th of July, New Year's Eve, and New Years Day. So thinking I was safe, I responded to this person and told her yes! There will be a fireworks show on the 4th at 9pm.

Then today this showed up in the mail:

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5795&stc=1

Besides looking like it was written by a 10 year old, the coward didn't have the courage to sign their name. They were trolling my FaceBook page where my alias is "Luke Skye" and they saw a picture I posted saying I was ready for the 4th, and Ed Grillo replied and said his garage looks similar. So this fool that wrote the letter is threatening to shut Ed down too. Lol... I know Ed's going to lose just about as much sleep over this as I am.

This person claims there are military vets with PTSD that live in the neighborhood who are against my fireworks shows. Yet in all the years I have been doing them, I have yet to hear from any of them asking me to not do what I do. As someone that has spent the last 40 years working in and for the military, I think I've earned the right to celebrate the 4th of July for 18 minutes that evening. That doesn't mean I am not empathetic to anyone with PTSD. I just don not believe that what I do and where I do it and the length of time I do it is an unreasonable intrusion into their lives.

It's just a shame people have to deal with idiots like this that feel they speak for an entire group of people. Anonymously at that! :mad:

tmwjr
06-27-2021, 12:51 AM
:(...light it up:D

Jrmiller2015
06-27-2021, 12:57 AM
By the time a Sheriff is dispatched and arrived you will
More than likely be done shooting anyways and for the record even in states where it’s illegal the sheriff can only do something if he sees you light it.. prior to moving where I live now I had all kinds of issues with one neighbor when the rest of the neighborhood was either at my BBQ or had their own and watched the show.

It’s still unfortunately illegal in ohio lol but I now live away from anyone �� most of the old neighbors make the trip and help cover cost etc. we had the whole Veterans thing brought up as well and the only ones in the neighborhood helped set up and or pay for stuff

There is always those people though when we went and picked up our order this year we had a lady at the gas station tell us we should donate food to a pet shelter instead and should consider the animals. Unfortunately this hobby comes with more of an opposition than most lol

tmwjr
06-27-2021, 12:58 AM
Also, I have so much to say about PTSD and avoidance. Avoidance is one of the reasons that PTSD becomes a disorder. I could go on and on..this is my area of expertise.

We cannot expect everyone to adjust their lives to meet our needs. It's life. Have a great fourth Rick!

Engineer Cat
06-27-2021, 01:00 AM
It's just a shame people have to deal with idiots like this that feel they speak for an entire group of people. Anonymously at that! :mad:

Sounds to me this person knows they have ZERO control of the situation and are doing all they can to scare your out of your show. If this person called the Sheriff they would of been told he has the right to shoot off fireworks on the 4th of July. I highly doubt they told this person they will have a deputy in waiting if the state legalized fireworks on that day.

I think you need to add some more shots to that show :)

Rick_In_Tampa
06-27-2021, 01:50 AM
This is what the Florida statute says about using fireworks:

791.08 Use during designated holidays; exemption.?
(1) As used in this section, the term ?designated holiday? means:
(a) New Year?s Day, January 1;
(b) Independence Day, July 4; or
(c) New Year?s Eve, December 31.
(2) This chapter does not prohibit the use of fireworks solely and exclusively during a designated holiday. This section is not intended to provide for the comprehensive regulation of fireworks as described in s. 10(5), chapter 2007-67, Laws of Florida, or to supersede any local governmental regulation relating to the use of fireworks as provided in s. 10(5), chapter 2007-67, Laws of Florida.
(3) The Legislature does not intend for the application of this section to supersede any prohibition against the use of fireworks contained within a legally executed and properly recorded declaration of covenants or covenant running with the land of any homeowners? association pursuant to chapter 720. However, a homeowners? association, through a board of directors, may not promulgate rules that attempt to abrogate a homeowner?s right to use fireworks during a designated holiday or under general law.
History.?s. 1, ch. 2020-11.

I'm no lawyer, but it looks to me like even if the HOA had rules saying you can't use fireworks, they can't stop you from using them on designated holidays. Is that how you guys read it?

Rick_In_Tampa
06-27-2021, 01:58 AM
:(...light it up:D

I plan to! Fool neighbors or no fool neighbors.

As for the PTSD reference... As a military vet that spent time in the Gulf during the first Gulf war, I deeply resent this person using the PTSD label to pursue their own agenda. PTSD is no joke and should not be brought up when there is no legitimate claim. I've been doing this for too many years now. If there was someone with PTSD that is harmed by my show, I'm sure I would have heard about it a long time ago.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-27-2021, 01:59 AM
Sounds to me this person knows they have ZERO control of the situation and are doing all they can to scare your out of your show. If this person called the Sheriff they would of been told he has the right to shoot off fireworks on the 4th of July. I highly doubt they told this person they will have a deputy in waiting if the state legalized fireworks on that day.

I think you need to add some more shots to that show :)

I think you are correct on all points! This morning I was playing with the script, and I actually did add more effects. lol...

Rick_In_Tampa
06-27-2021, 02:01 AM
There is always those people though when we went and picked up our order this year we had a lady at the gas station tell us we should donate food to a pet shelter instead and should consider the animals. Unfortunately this hobby comes with more of an opposition than most lol

Exactly! How do these people know you don't already contribute to a pet shelter and 16 other charities?? Very pretentious and presumptive of them.

Icooclast
06-27-2021, 02:40 AM
some times it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Hoosierhick
06-27-2021, 10:03 AM
Sounds like you are all legal. You were nice enough to give them fair warning . We hand out fliers to the neighbors most want to know when we shoot. We have a lot of 1.3 product so I have to file a shoot list and site location with the state & fire department , We shoot for a display company over the 4th so our show is always a week or 2 after. We have never had a problem. Send it.

Birdman
06-27-2021, 11:12 AM
Ugh....Sorry to see you'll have one more thing on your mind on the 4th. Some people just need to realize that the word doesn't revolve around them. These same people are likely to embrace diversity and preach tolerance and acceptance, especially of other cutures. Fireworks have long been a part of American culture. It's as American as apple pie. Here's a John Adams quote about the 4th of July. I seem to have to pull this out every year around this time:

“The date will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.”

-John Adams

FinnAmerican
06-27-2021, 11:36 AM
~Well said, JOHN ADAMS...

Rick_In_Tampa
06-27-2021, 11:41 AM
Who am I to argue with John Adams!? The show will go on for sure. I have one case of tannerite left that I was going to save, but it might have to get incorporated into the show now.

ssmith512
06-27-2021, 11:48 AM
Holy crap........that letter is an insult to 10 year olds. If an adult did write that, I have lost all faith in humanity and our expected ability to succeed as the dominant species on this Planet.

I learned a few years ago that I am unable to please everyone all the time, so I stopped trying. I live my life being as respectful as I can, treat others as I would like to be treated, and on occasion put myself in their shoes and do what I think is right through compromise on my end. If that aint enough, they are the problem, not me.

I am empathetic, like most, to those who legitimately have PTSD, and or pets that have difficulty coping with the big loud bangs. I have a pet who hates fireworks. I dont complain to the neighborhood that they are making my pet uncomfortable. July 4th, to me, is a sacred Holiday. As long as it is legal, I will continue to celebrate the 4th how I want to. Not to be brash, but if you have PTSD or a pet that has issues with big loud noises, then the onus is on YOU to take care yourself and or your pet. It is not the rest of the neighborhoods responsibility to kowtow to your wants (and that is all they are "wants", they are not "needs".)

Rant off.

randomrobot
06-27-2021, 08:32 PM
Sounds like you are all legal. You were nice enough to give them fair warning . We hand out fliers to the neighbors most want to know when we shoot. We have a lot of 1.3 product so I have to file a shoot list and site location with the state & fire department , We shoot for a display company over the 4th so our show is always a week or 2 after. We have never had a problem. Send it.

Got a sample flier? We've got a few new neighbors that I think I should give some warning this year. Everyone else knows (or thinks they know) what to expect next week.

Engineer Cat
06-27-2021, 10:08 PM
I'm no lawyer, but it looks to me like even if the HOA had rules saying you can't use fireworks, they can't stop you from using them on designated holidays. Is that how you guys read it?

I'm no layer either but I think its pretty clear the HOA can't Tread on You!. However they can make your life hell because they are angry Karen's that think they have the right to tell you what you can and can't do. I'd take the abuse and make sure I have a show planned on every legal day you can.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-27-2021, 11:02 PM
Holy crap........that letter is an insult to 10 year olds. If an adult did write that, I have lost all faith in humanity and our expected ability to succeed as the dominant species on this Planet.

Perfectly said!!! I couldn't agree more.

AJ Rhino
06-28-2021, 07:57 AM
That letter was written by a low IQ moron.

Jay_
06-28-2021, 08:19 AM
Rick, first and foremost thank you for your military service. 40 years is very impressive, and I for one want to thank you for protecting my freedom in the greatest nation of all.

I had a similar thing happen last year, although it was focused on storage rather than the show/shoot site.

Without going into too much detail about my situation, I can say with confidence that most LEO's love fireworks and if they do show up they are more likely to give you a high five than serve any kind of citation. I think that is the case in most cases when fireworks are being used or stored responsibly. After all, its one of the most patriotic things that we do all year.

Any leads on who you think wrote the letter?

Arles
06-28-2021, 09:17 AM
I would move full steam ahead, but in PA even though fireworks are legal to buy and posses, there are restrictions on firing within a certain distance to buildings and firing on property you don't own... wondering if there are similar restrictions in FL that they could cite you for.

Lonely Bros Pyros
06-28-2021, 11:43 AM
Got a sample flier? We've got a few new neighbors that I think I should give some warning this year. Everyone else knows (or thinks they know) what to expect next week.
Here is what we send out. I bought post card paper at staples. It is split in 4 cards. This makes printing a bunch easy. I then went to the county GIS system online and looked at the properties in my neighborhood. There I got all the names and addresses to send the cards to. I included my email (not my cell#) if anyone needs to contact us.5796

randomrobot
06-28-2021, 12:24 PM
Nice, Lonely. I'm going to steal that.

And holy crap Jay, I just watched your 2020 show. That's crazy good. I wish I had the space, knowledge and $$$ to pull something like that off.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-29-2021, 01:55 AM
I would move full steam ahead, but in PA even though fireworks are legal to buy and posses, there are restrictions on firing within a certain distance to buildings and firing on property you don't own... wondering if there are similar restrictions in FL that they could cite you for.

The Florida statute states it has to be in compliance with NFPA1123, which my show is. On the contrary, all the knuckleheads that shoot cakes and mortars from their driveways and in front of their homes are not. I honestly don't expect to be visited by the cops on the 4th, but if I am, I have my PGI membership card, my display operator course certificate, and the Florida statute all ready to present to them.

So yes... I plan on proceeding with the show. My crew has already told me they'll be there to help, despite the threat of the cops showing up.

Engineer Cat
06-29-2021, 02:57 AM
The Florida statute states it has to be in compliance with NFPA1123, which my show is. On the contrary, all the knuckleheads that shoot cakes and mortars from their driveways and in front of their homes are not. I honestly don't expect to be visited by the cops on the 4th, but if I am, I have my PGI membership card, my display operator course certificate, and the Florida statute all ready to present to them.

So yes... I plan on proceeding with the show. My crew has already told me they'll be there to help, despite the threat of the cops showing up.

I hope the angry Karen runs down the street screaming in your face when the cops don't show up. Have a go pro or cellphone ready to get that video cause we ALL will want to see that amended to the show video if it goes down. Even if the cops do show up, I want to see that video of you presenting your credentials so they can go away and just tell you to try to keep the music down. :p

EdwardH
06-30-2021, 11:20 PM
I agree with this.

upNdown
07-01-2021, 10:48 AM
FWIW, to me, the language seems pretty ambiguous about whether HOAs can restrict fireworks. In one paragraph, it appears to indicate that they can, and in the other paragraph, it says that they can’t.
Regardless, it seems to me that the police would only show up if the HOA called them (because otherwise, it’s perfectly legal.) And since that letter was written by a crazypants who clearly is not the HOA, and since said crazypants seems to be threatening to sue the HOA, it seems like the HOA is not taking an anti-fireworks stance. So I’d feel 99% sure that unless you hear from the HOA between now and then, that the cops will not be showing up.

Mattp
07-01-2021, 02:14 PM
What I think is so funny they tried to stalk you.. and couldn’t even get that right… Mr. Grillo… HAHAHABAA!!!!

Birdman
07-01-2021, 03:23 PM
The funniest part for me is that Mr. Grillo is in Texas!!!!!!

Kooooou
07-01-2021, 05:16 PM
It's ridiculous how everyone who either hates fireworks or who is anti-patriotism, suddenly knows a vet with PTSD around the Fourth. PTSD is real, but I think most of the whiners could actually care less about the brave men and women of the military.

Hoosierhick
07-01-2021, 06:25 PM
Just saw this .I will get will my kid and have them email me a copy . I have never really looked at what it said. Ours is not til the 17th this year. all the other weekends have public displays , with 3 this weekend.

Hoosierhick
07-01-2021, 06:36 PM

I will have my kid email a copy to me . I don't really look at it, I have to get permits for our show since we shoot a lot 1.3 product we always shoot a week or 2 after the 4th since we do public shows over the 4th weekend.

Hoosierhick
07-02-2021, 09:15 AM
I will have my kid email a copy to me . I don't really look at it, I have to get permits for our show since we shoot a lot 1.3 product we always shoot a week or 2 after the 4th since we do public shows over the 4th weekend.

First time ive seen it. Not bad gets the point across

Engineer Cat
07-02-2021, 12:55 PM
Rick nobody you know in the HOA has been able to find out which 10 year old wrote that letter to you?

MontanaMike
07-02-2021, 04:08 PM
If you get any "complaints" I would just remind them that your show is only "x" minutes long, and they could take a pleasant drive to the country if they want to skip it.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-02-2021, 06:50 PM
Rick nobody you know in the HOA has been able to find out which 10 year old wrote that letter to you?

The only people that are aware of the letter are the few neighbors that help me do the show. I was going to post it on the HOA's Face Book page and see if the loser that wrote it would fess up. Or see if a neighbor could out the author. The problem is, it would also almost surly force the HOA's board members to take a position on the issue, and that could lead to me getting shut down. Even though I'm confident the law is on my side, I have a legal opinion that says the law only covers using fireworks on your own property, not HOA common area property. That's not how I read the statute, but the wife told me she doesn't want me landing myself in jail and then having to fight a legal battle just to prove I'm right.

That said... I just confirmed with my two main helpers that they are willing to go ahead and help me shoot the show on Sunday. So we are pressing forward and if the cops show up I am more than prepared to argue my case and let the chips fall where they may. If I get shut down then I will go full on a-hole and post the letter and let the coward that wrote it know how I feel about their letter. I will try to drum up support for my show and see how many neighbors are willing to support me. Worst case, I will take my boards out to my friends house and shoot them there from now on.

upNdown
07-02-2021, 07:09 PM
The only people that are aware of the letter are the few neighbors that help me do the show. I was going to post it on the HOA's Face Book page and see if the loser that wrote it would fess up. Or see if a neighbor could out the author. The problem is, it would also almost surly force the HOA's board members to take a position on the issue, and that could lead to me getting shut down. Even though I'm confident the law is on my side, I have a legal opinion that says the law only covers using fireworks on your own property, not HOA common area property. That's not how I read the statute, but the wife told me she doesn't want me landing myself in jail and then having to fight a legal battle just to prove I'm right.

That said... I just confirmed with my two main helpers that they are willing to go ahead and help me shoot the show on Sunday. So we are pressing forward and if the cops show up I am more than prepared to argue my case and let the chips fall where they may. If I get shut down then I will go full on a-hole and post the letter and let the coward that wrote it know how I feel about their letter. I will try to drum up support for my show and see how many neighbors are willing to support me. Worst case, I will take my boards out to my friends house and shoot them there from now on.

Good luck, buddy (but I don't think you'll need it.)

EdwardH
07-02-2021, 10:06 PM
Yes, Rick I am sorry you are having to deal with someone like this. Particularly because I know you go through the effort for these shows to bring enjoyment to others. In case I didn't mention it earlier, thank your for all of your advice and counsel. I hope that everything works out OK for you guys on Sunday.

Engineer Cat
07-03-2021, 12:42 AM

Gotcha, makes complete sense. Well good luck. I hope all goes well and I look forward to watching the show video when you upload it. Happy 4th of July!

PYRODAN
07-04-2021, 02:40 PM
Great googly moogly! You haven't moved yet?

Fox One
07-04-2021, 07:36 PM
I have an uncle who is a combat vet and was in Vietnam when the Tet Offensive kicked off in 1968. He suffers from PTSD. But you know what? He comes to all of my shows and loves them. During a show a few years ago my uncle said "this reminds me of Tet '68". I asked if he meant all the fireworks the Vietnamese are famous for shooting off during the Tet holiday, or if he meant the sounds of the raging battles. He laughed and said "both".

It seems to me that the "veterans with PTSD" angle gets overplayed every July 4th, and is mostly promoted by people who have never served, much less experienced combat. Some people will have you believe that every July 4th there are millions of veterans around the country huddled in their basements, shaking, terrified by the sound of fireworks. That IMHO is extreme hyperbole. Nearly all of the vets I know love fireworks and roll their eyes at these nosy Karen's that are always trying to stir up issues.

wingman
07-05-2021, 01:01 AM
I have an uncle who is a combat vet and was in Vietnam when the Tet Offensive kicked off in 1968. He suffers from PTSD. But you know what? He comes to all of my shows and loves them. During a show a few years ago my uncle said "this reminds me of Tet '68". I asked if he meant all the fireworks the Vietnamese are famous for shooting off during the Tet holiday, or if he meant the sounds of the raging battles. He laughed and said "both".

It seems to me that the "veterans with PTSD" angle gets overplayed every July 4th, and is mostly promoted by people who have never served, much less experienced combat. Some people will have you believe that every July 4th there are millions of veterans around the country huddled in their basements, shaking, terrified by the sound of fireworks. That IMHO is extreme hyperbole. Nearly all of the vets I know love fireworks and roll their eyes at these nosy Karen's that are always trying to stir up issues.

Amen to that! My dad served in the Army at the same time frame. Very much close to Hamburger Hill. It's not the pyro that affects him and his PTSD, rather it's the smaller things like if I were to play catch with his small dog and inadvertently toss her toy in his direction, it makes him nervous. Also he has to have his recliner in a corner of the room where there isn't any windows or doors directly behind him. It's those things that can be a legitimate struggle, not fireworks. Most vets I know of really enjoy them and consider it one if many freedoms people should have the liberty to enjoy with common sense.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-05-2021, 03:15 PM

Exactly!! Very well said. Perfect actually.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-05-2021, 03:17 PM
Just to close the loop on the thread... I shot my show last night despite the threats. There were maybe 150 people that showed up, and they all loved it. Even had the police helicopter circle the show a few times before flying off.

The show was a great success! I posted video in another thread. Thanks for all the moral support!

I hope everyone had a great 4th!!

EdwardH
07-05-2021, 09:48 PM
Just to close the loop on the thread... I shot my show last night despite the threats. There were maybe 150 people that showed up, and they all loved it. Even had the police helicopter circle the show a few times before flying off.

The show was a great success! I posted video in another thread. Thanks for all the moral support!

Great to hear! Glad it worked out.

Engineer Cat
07-06-2021, 02:08 AM

YES! Awesome to hear!

esgrillo
07-06-2021, 08:41 AM
So a resident posted a message on our HOA FaceBook page last week asking if there will be a fireworks show this year. I usually don't respond to that because until last year, fireworks were illegal and I didn't want to give our HOA board morons time to give me trouble. Last year though, our Governor signed a new law making it legal to shoot fireworks on the 4th of July, New Year's Eve, and New Years Day. So thinking I was safe, I responded to this person and told her yes! There will be a fireworks show on the 4th at 9pm.

Then today this showed up in the mail:

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5795&stc=1

Besides looking like it was written by a 10 year old, the coward didn't have the courage to sign their name. They were trolling my FaceBook page where my alias is "Luke Skye" and they saw a picture I posted saying I was ready for the 4th, and Ed Grillo replied and said his garage looks similar. So this fool that wrote the letter is threatening to shut Ed down too. Lol... I know Ed's going to lose just about as much sleep over this as I am.

This person claims there are military vets with PTSD that live in the neighborhood who are against my fireworks shows. Yet in all the years I have been doing them, I have yet to hear from any of them asking me to not do what I do. As someone that has spent the last 40 years working in and for the military, I think I've earned the right to celebrate the 4th of July for 18 minutes that evening. That doesn't mean I am not empathetic to anyone with PTSD. I just don not believe that what I do and where I do it and the length of time I do it is an unreasonable intrusion into their lives.

Rick, I just saw this today lmao... I didn't realize that I move to FL.

The best post I saw yesterday was.....

"Could everyone please keep their dogs and kids quiet today, I was up all last night shooting fireworks"

Rick_In_Tampa
07-07-2021, 02:52 AM
Rick, I just saw this today lmao... I didn't realize that I move to FL.

The best post I saw yesterday was.....

"Could everyone please keep their dogs and kids quiet today, I was up all last night shooting fireworks"

Lol... Yeah. I figured you were going to lose all kinds of sleep over this one. About the same amount as me actually. When I first read it, I thought I was being punked by some 10 year old kid. The grammar and spelling is simply embarrassing. More proof of just how pathetic our schools have become. Beyond that, to threaten people you don't even know; and one that doesn't even live in the state!; is simply dumb beyond words. I'm just glad I was able to go ahead with my show and that it went so well and people enjoyed it as much as they did. I hope it was 18 min of pure agony for the fool that wrote the letter too! I know that's not being nice, but in this case, I'm okay with that!

I love that line!! I'm going to steal it. lol..

Salutecake
07-07-2021, 09:23 PM
Found this article today, I wish it was like this all over. - https://www.westernjournal.com/people-keep-asking-small-town-police-department-need-fireworks-permit-freedom-loving-force-issues-perfect-response/

Engineer Cat
07-07-2021, 11:51 PM
Found this article today, I wish it was like this all over. - https://www.westernjournal.com/people-keep-asking-small-town-police-department-need-fireworks-permit-freedom-loving-force-issues-perfect-response/

This is fantastic!

morrison2951
07-08-2021, 08:06 PM
I went with an all remote fired fountains show this year due to state and HOA regulations. 5871

Rick_In_Tampa
07-09-2021, 12:50 AM
Great article!!