PDA

View Full Version : Ohio may legalize consumer fireworks soon

ixfd64
06-26-2021, 01:29 AM
https://nbc4i.com/news/politics/ohio-statehouse-newsroom/ohio-house-passes-bill-legalizing-consumer-fireworks

However, there's a catch: people can only light them on certain holidays, and the law only goes into effect next year if signed. Local governments will still have the right to restrict consumer fireworks. But this is certainly a step in the right direction!

Engineer Cat
06-26-2021, 02:35 AM
https://nbc4i.com/news/politics/ohio-statehouse-newsroom/ohio-house-passes-bill-legalizing-consumer-fireworks

However, there's a catch: people can only light them on certain holidays, and the law only goes into effect next year if signed. Local governments will still have the right to restrict consumer fireworks. But this is certainly a step in the right direction!

That's fine with me. I would totally accept that if my state did this. I only shoot on holidays or (holiday weekends) anyway so we are already on the same page. ;)

FinnAmerican
06-26-2021, 12:45 PM
~Good for OHIO!...I have full confidence that the Governor will sign the Bill.

displayfireworks1
06-26-2021, 07:24 PM
I have not read the bill, I only see these news station summaries. It looks like it allows the local areas of Ohio to exempt themselves if they wish. That alone makes it worthless. I can't recall the state at that moment that has something similar. You get these local municipalities within a state that forbid fireworks and every July 4th they get the local police in that area to stake out the road leading into the restricted area and pull people over to confiscate their fireworks. For any fireworks bill to be of any value it has to exempt local yahoo's from exempting themselves. You also get tents selling fireworks just over the city limits of the restricted areas.
Can someone please provide a link so we all can read the proposed Ohio fireworks bill?

FinnAmerican
06-26-2021, 08:26 PM
I have not read the bill, I only see these news station summaries. It looks like it allows the local areas of Ohio to exempt themselves if they wish. That alone makes it worthless. I can't recall the state at that moment that has something similar. You get these local municipalities within a state that forbid fireworks and every July 4th they get the local police in that area to stake out the road leading into the restricted area and pull people over to confiscate their fireworks. For any fireworks bill to be of any value it has to exempt local yahoo's from exempting themselves. You also get tents selling fireworks just over the city limits of the restricted areas.
Can someone please provide a link so we all can read the proposed Ohio fireworks bill?

Bill 113
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-documents?id=GA134-SB-113

wingman
06-27-2021, 10:45 AM
I have not read the bill, I only see these news station summaries. It looks like it allows the local areas of Ohio to exempt themselves if they wish. That alone makes it worthless. I can't recall the state at that moment that has something similar..

Montana. Thankfully though, most local areas have their heads on straight and most unincorporated areas allow for year-round enjoyment.

FinnAmerican
07-03-2021, 04:21 PM
~The Governor of Ohio has until July 10th to make his decision...

Wholesale Fireworks
07-08-2021, 09:25 AM
Govenor will not sign the bill. Dont forget if this is made law all fireworks prices will INCREASE to accomadate the additional tax. Local goverments can still make them illegal to use any time. So basically you will pay more for waht you are already doing now

grinnie
07-08-2021, 04:24 PM
Got this off of the Ohio Senates Website:

"The governor can sign the act into law or reject it by issuing a veto. A three-fifths vote of the members of the House and Senate is necessary to override the governor's veto.
A signed act becomes law after 90 days. If the governor takes no action within 10 days of receiving the act, it becomes law without his or her signature."

Wondering if that is his plan. Let it sit and pass on its own.

grinnie
07-09-2021, 05:06 PM
Vetoed today.

Birdman
07-09-2021, 05:59 PM
Vetoed today.

Being purely selfish here but this is good news for all of us that have product shipped out of OH.

ixfd64
07-10-2021, 02:19 PM
Ugh...

Hopefully an override is in the works.

Wholesale Fireworks
07-12-2021, 11:31 AM
I told you he wouldn't sign it You all just saved a bunch of money on your fireworks. You can baisicaly do what you have always been doing and not pay the additional " Safety Fee" in addition to the already increasing prices.

God Bless America
07-12-2021, 04:48 PM
I told you he wouldn't sign it You all just saved a bunch of money on your fireworks. You can baisicaly do what you have always been doing and not pay the additional " Safety Fee" in addition to the already increasing prices.

We dodged one bullet! Hopefully the override vote (3/5ths) FAILS....fingers crossed for all of us

Jrmiller2015
07-14-2021, 08:31 AM

To be fair though I’d be 100% ok paying any of extra fee they want me to pay if I was allowed to get product shipped to me...now don’t get me wrong I’d still make the hour trip to Hubbard.. but there is so much more product that I’d be able to get that right now I have to drive hours or get it shipped to someone else’s property I mean I paid extra for certain things this year cause the only place I could find them was in PA ����*♂️ It is what it is

Wholesale Fireworks
07-14-2021, 01:45 PM
To be fair though I’d be 100% ok paying any of extra fee they want me to pay if I was allowed to get product shipped to me...now don’t get me wrong I’d still make the hour trip to Hubbard.. but there is so much more product that I’d be able to get that right now I have to drive hours or get it shipped to someone else’s property I mean I paid extra for certain things this year cause the only place I could find them was in PA ����*♂️ It is what it is

I just looked through the law and it still does not authorize the shipment of firewoks into or within Ohio unless you are a licesned fireworks dealer. So even if it passed, you would not be able to have anything shipped to you if you live in Ohio. Looks like we will still have the pleasure of seeing you at the store.

Arclight
07-14-2021, 08:51 PM
I hope they at least legalize medicinal fireworks.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-15-2021, 05:43 AM
According to the latest article on Cleveland.com "It passed the House 67 to 27; 60 votes are needed for an override." So unless 8 House members change their vote if a veto challenge is attempted, they should be able to override the veto.

However, as Dave (and others) have already stated, there is a provision for municipalities to make them illegal. So the bill is essentially useless as written anyway.

Jrmiller2015
07-16-2021, 08:23 AM
I just looked through the law and it still does not authorize the shipment of firewoks into or within Ohio unless you are a licesned fireworks dealer. So even if it passed, you would not be able to have anything shipped to you if you live in Ohio. Looks like we will still have the pleasure of seeing you at the store.

Lol you were still gonna see me regardless.... there is several of your products that I?ll use pretty much no matter what I was referring more towards the proline items etc it?s no big deal I can get it shipped to a friend 🤷🏻*♂️ But that also means driving there etc it?s more about convenience than anything I?m not saying this version of the law is what needs to happen but we do need to legalize and the added tax was still lower than PA 🤷🏻*♂️ All in all I didn?t expect Dewine to sign he won?t in my opinion ever agree with it but that?s ok we?ll have a new governor lol