PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from California!

ixfd64
06-26-2021, 01:17 AM
Hello, Danny here. I've been a fan of consumer fireworks for over 20 years and was an active member at Pyro Universe and Pyrofan before their demise. I've lurked at /r/fireworks from time to time, but Reddit just doesn't have same vibe as old school forums.

I come from a boring little town where consumer fireworks are illegal, so there aren't many opportunities for me to light fireworks. However, there's nothing more exciting than reading about other people's experiences and watching videos. In any case, I'm glad to be part of the community again!

Okimarine
06-27-2021, 12:37 AM
Hello and welcome to the forums. I lived in California for about 10 years total, mostly northern San Diego County. That is one place I wouldn't dream of lighting off any kind of fireworks. My last 2 years there we had to evacuate twice for wildfires, it was a mess that I don't miss. Where are you located in California?

ixfd64
06-27-2021, 02:20 PM
I'm from the southern parts of the San Francisco Bay Area.

Engineer Cat
06-27-2021, 10:16 PM
Welcome to the forum west coast. Great info stockpiled here.

Arclight
06-28-2021, 02:16 PM
Question for CA folks: Has anyone here actually gone through state pyro licensing and/or been able to purchase 1.3 items from an in-state supplier with their ATF license?

displayfireworks1
07-01-2021, 06:21 PM
Question for CA folks: Has anyone here actually gone through state pyro licensing and/or been able to purchase 1.3 items from an in-state supplier with their ATF license?

My records from 2012 indicate only 11 ATF Fireworks related license in the entire state of California. I'll break it down for each county. Going forward from 2012 to current the ATF refused to give me a detailed list.
Alameda -1
Los Angles -1
Monterey-2
Orange-1
Placer -1
Santa Clara-1
Santa Cruz -1
Talare -2
Yolo-1
Where that number is in 2021 I do not know,
https://geology.com/county-map/california-county-map.gif

Arclight
07-01-2021, 06:46 PM
I believe the bottleneck is with the State Fire Marshall. They have a whole parallel set of licenses and requirements that are outside of ATF or the process to get a County explosives permit.

displayfireworks1
07-01-2021, 07:11 PM
I believe the bottleneck is with the State Fire Marshall. They have a whole parallel set of licenses and requirements that are outside of ATF or the process to get a County explosives permit.

This state BS can't stop someone from getting an ATF license to purchase and possess 1.3 explosives for private use. I went through this in Texas, New York State , Ohio etc. The ATF Type 54 license procedure doesn't say, this applies in all states except California. It is a Federal procedure.

Okimarine
07-01-2021, 08:15 PM
This state BS can't stop someone from getting an ATF license to purchase and possess 1.3 explosives for private use. I went through this in Texas, New York State , Ohio etc. The ATF Type 54 license procedure doesn't say, this applies in all states except California. It is a Federal procedure.

The State can't prevent someone from getting their type 54 if all prerequisites are met but they can make it so hard to get State license that no one wants to bother with it. Even in WV it would be illegal (state law)for me to possess/ store/ use without a State permit for each. Any law enforcement agency in the State to include the Fire Marshal could fine and confiscate product if State laws are not followed.

Kind of like gun laws in some states. You can pass a Federal background check and still have to apply for a permit through the State. Some State's make firearm possession nearly imposssible.

215less
07-07-2021, 11:30 PM
Good luck in California. Most give up unless your persistence. Arclight is a great resource but like some states. They have their own set of rules, permits, taxes exc. it may not be fare but it is what it is. Just be careful ixfd64. I just got back from CA and the whole state is so dry I’m amazed it hasn’t completely burned to ash.

Arclight
07-08-2021, 11:35 AM
The irony here is that I have a permitted magazine and am fully licensed to run a blasting business. Fireworks of any kind are another set of challenges that I hope to work through.