PDA

View Full Version : Magazine concerns/questions

CelestialTree
06-25-2021, 11:45 PM
Ive been planning on applying for a license (PA located) but my big hold up has been magazine as I want to have everything set before I would begin filling out all of the paperwork. My largest concern is the orange book still confuses me a little on how exactly things would need stored - I would probably go with a job box but my issue would be having a smaller building away from the main area to store the products in. Is there a minimum size for a building that would be required or would something like a 5x5 shed or so with a job box inside thats been prepped work for just a few things. I wouldnt be storing more than maybe a case or two of stuff just to give some wow factor.

Links to magazines and things like that would also be helpful ive been looking around myself but more information is always better.

Engineer Cat
06-26-2021, 12:13 AM
I don't have a license but I did purchase Dave's licensing instructions a few years back. After reading through it I decided there were to many issues I would need to resolve before I could move forward. Hopefully in the future I can make that happen.

I'm not sure about the minimum size for a magazine but I'm pretty sure if you can make arrangements with a distributor or store that you buy from to hold the product till the morning of the shoot, you don't (need) to have a magazine at your house/location to get the license. BUT that could be depending on the state you live in. I'm in a not very friendly to pyros state, but I think I read that was an option where I live.

Any Type 54 peeps here that do not have a magazine on their property? How are you storing product?

tmwjr
06-26-2021, 07:48 AM
Mine is a 20' container on a friend's farm. It's a surprisingly easy process. Even though mine isn't what your trying to do, PM me your email address and I'll send some of the things that I submitted to atf and DEP. Happy to talk if you have any questions.

Arles
06-26-2021, 11:24 AM
Ive been planning on applying for a license (PA located) but my big hold up has been magazine as I want to have everything set before I would begin filling out all of the paperwork. My largest concern is the orange book still confuses me a little on how exactly things would need stored - I would probably go with a job box but my issue would be having a smaller building away from the main area to store the products in. Is there a minimum size for a building that would be required or would something like a 5x5 shed or so with a job box inside thats been prepped work for just a few things. I wouldnt be storing more than maybe a case or two of stuff just to give some wow factor.

Links to magazines and things like that would also be helpful ive been looking around myself but more information is always better.

There are at least a few dealers in PA who would offer you contingency storage which may be an easier way to move forward with your ATF.

Okimarine
06-26-2021, 12:14 PM

If your going to build a small shed anyway, why not just put metal sheeting on it for use as a magazine. Its the same metal used for roofing. It would give you more storage if you decided to buy more product down the road. I for one have a habit of going alittle bigger each year and I suspect that this is a common thing among enthusiasts.

I personally use a small shipping container for a type 4, cost was under 1k after lining with osb. That was before the cost of wood sky rocketed.

And as stated already, you could start off with contingency storage with a 1.3g dealer near you.

I'm not familiar with your state laws but the ATF regulations are pretty clear on construction and distance requirements. In WV the state just mirrors the federal laws so no additional requirements need to be met. The state does however require a business license to appy for a magazine permit.

Arclight
06-26-2021, 01:45 PM
Remember that the magazine does not have to be located at your home or office address. That just has to be a place where you can receive mail. The actual magazine could be on a friend's farm or rural land somewhere. You will need to make up a simple lease that says something like "Mr. CelestialTree is allowed to place an explosives storage magazine on the property located at XXXXX, in exchange for $100/year or equivalent pyrotechnics display" and have both of you sign it. The ATF just wants to know that the owner is aware of what you are doing there.

Arclight

displayfireworks1
06-26-2021, 07:02 PM
We are finding the easiest way to get ATF licensed is by using a contingency agreement first. Then, once you are licensed pursue the magazine. Trying to get ATF license and get the magazine approved before licensure can be accomplished. It is just more burdensome for you and the ATF. Now that this virus is slowly allowing more and more events to open up, I anticipate some of my advertisers like Kellner,s, Fire Art and Ace to start the demos and open shoots back up. With the help of my 1.3 advertisers we are getting advanced fireworks enthusiast licensed that want to come to a 1.3 open shoot to purchase and shoot fireworks. As far as used shipping containers , search Craigslist. The problem at the moment is there is a shipping container shortage. How that affects the used market I do not know. If you ever purchase a used container, be sure the doors work properly and close properly. This becomes problematic when trying to add ATF type locking devices.

tmwjr
06-27-2021, 08:45 AM
I agree with this. If you have the distances, just turn the shed into a magazine. There's a thread in this forum somewhere with step by step pictures of this build.

With regard to the osb, I recommend epoxy. Especially since osb went up so much. The primer and epoxy ran me about $200. I got them from Sherwin Williams.

Okimarine
06-27-2021, 09:44 AM
This is the site I purchased my container from ( https://www.govplanet.com/Containers ). I drove to NC from WV to pick it up about 5 hours each way. They have a few sales in PA right now, some in OH and KY as well. I agree that the epoxy paint would be cheaper than osb right now. I think its abou 30 bucks a gallon at walmart. Probably would have been a cheaper and faster method of application for me as well. The shipping container I purchased was 8x5 I think.

jimlund
07-27-2021, 12:34 AM
I'm working on converting a storage container, OSB or lattice is very expensive now, and understand Epoxy is a much simpler solution.

What epoxy exactly did you apply to your storage container?

Did you have to prep the walls before you applied?

What method did you use to apply the epoxy? How did you get into all the small crevasses?

I'm assuming it must stick well. Prep would be fine grit sand paper and mineral spirits.

Application would be a thin foam four inch rollers.

Thanks for any information on this.

Jim