PDA

View Full Version : Be safe when it come to your morter tubes!

thechemist45
02-05-2012, 02:41 AM
This is for mostly newbies But I thought that it was important to get it through to them. That just because a fireworks outlet has a tube in with the shells there buying that it's not quality & is only made to shoot the shells that came in that box and not to keep on shooting anymore than that Like if you see a economy pack of just say a 12 packs of shells which I have seen up at Phantom anyway JUst check out the video. Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPvj8LqNRGU&feature=related

indianahx
02-05-2012, 08:51 AM
The only disagreement I have is that even some display companies firing 1.3g shells are using cardboard guns, take care of them, and reuse them time and time again. So cardboard CAN be used. Is it the best, probably not. Will it last the longest, probably not.

Another thing I think would be great to add is.......DON'T be the "reload" guy! (Unless you absolutely have to....space constrictions, ect.). If you want and are going to fire a lot of shells, make the investment and stock up on a number of guns! Reloading in a show means you're walking back and forth from a ready box of shells (at least that's where they should be), you're reloading in the dark and could possibly load a tube already loaded, you could possibly send a shell down a tube that has smoldering embers in it, or you could possibly load the shell upside down. Lot of scenarios to watch out for.

thechemist45
02-05-2012, 03:25 PM
I still say if your buying consumer 1.4 and the tubes come with 6 or 12 shells. After you fire that many throw out the tune. They give you another anyway. The law is suppossed to be no more than 6 shells per cardboard tubes that come in the 13/4th shells boxes. If your going to buy shells separately And morters to Get good quality ones like the fibergalss ones I showed. as long as theyre built by a manufacturer and the lift charge is not overloaded or miss weighed. Then you can get many shots out of the fibergalss ones. Even the fibergalss morter tubes are not that much. On all the money spent on fireworks that is the last thing you want to be cheap about. After all it's not just you But everyone who is watching nearby as well if one of those morters bursts from overuse. It's just so not worth it.

indianahx
02-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Fiberglass is not the only option. There's also HDPE. There are several threads about prolonging cardboard use. It's merely an opinion and preference on what you want to use. Just like using plywood or osb for rack rails. Just like using spacers vs no spacers. Everything is speculative and purely preference. I prefer HDPE over fiberglass over cardboard.

There is no "law" concerning tubes. It's more of a regulation. The cpsc is what governs consumer fireworks. And along those lines, if you're buying shells "separately" then you are not buying 1.4g. You can not legally buy "bulk" shells in a retail shop. That's why there are always kits that have 200 shells but also include the proper amount of tubes...which I believe is 12 shells per tube not 6.

My main point was DON'T be the "reload" guy unless you absolutely have to.

floridapyro
02-05-2012, 04:23 PM
I use hdpe in racks personally. Now if a person was really concerned about crowd safety they need to adhere to the rule. 75 feet distance per inch of shell at a minimum. Kind of hard if your hand lighting though. I know plenty of guys who make 25-30 shot poor man racks out of the cardboard ones. We also shoot our shows from at least 300 feet. I do understand what your saying though.

fatcat
02-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Take it from a guy who only shoots 1.4 twice a year, the 4th of July and NYE. Use quality products. Either build or buy some good quality racks. I'm sure there are sponsors on Dave's site who can help you out. If you are not willing to spend some bucks on "safety" then don't shoot reloadables but just use "Cakes or NOAB's. Like the OP said, BE SAFE.

Just my 2 cents

pyro man 205
02-05-2012, 07:28 PM
I agree with posts 4,5,6 on the HDPE tubes, i use both HDPE and Fiberglass in my racks. Im like fatcat the 4th of July and NYE is when i shoot. ive have had my racks for 8 yrs now. all work great use them clean them every 2 years good to go every time. HDPE tubes for me all the way.

J's12talk
02-05-2012, 09:58 PM
HDPE and fiberglass are your best options. I still make racks out of all my cardboard tubes as well. I treat them with wood hardener or whatever I have laying around, shellac, wood preservative etc. Secured firmly in a rack with no reloading and you can get some mileage out of them. For an example of what I make view Daves video 366 salutes from Kellners last year.

indianahx
02-05-2012, 11:16 PM
^^^^thank you....exactly what I was saying about taking care of cardboard and using them in the long run. Although, I'm not advocating getting a box of premium cans and lighting them one after the other in a cardboard tube....