PDA

View Full Version : Nail em app

Salutecake
06-19-2021, 07:22 AM
Wish I had more on this, Nail em app. Somewhere in the US towns are using this app to crack down on illegal fireworks. With the app you take a picture of fireworks going off, it grabs the gps coordinates, then you send it off to the fire Marshal in charge and they issue a ticket to the property owner. I had the article, tried to go back to it, but couldn't find it. It was a headline in Google news.
Lmk if anyone else found it or saw it.

Salutecake
06-19-2021, 07:32 AM
So it came from, mantecabullentin.com, looks like CA somewhere?

displayfireworks1
06-19-2021, 09:07 AM
LOL I did a video about this in 2016. This is also where I got the artistic idea to add a police drone into the artwork on my cake Backyard Battlefield. It occurred near Salinas California.
From 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhCLKPMm8hc
SACRAMENTO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--TNT Fireworks, California’s largest wholesale distributor of State Approved (“Safe & Sane”) Fireworks, today announced the launch of their dual platform smartphone mobile app that will allow residents in cities and counties throughout California to take pictures of the sale and/or use of illegal fireworks in that jurisdiction and email these photos, along with the GPS coordinates of the alleged illegal activity and an audio and text message, to that jurisdiction’s police or fire department so that it can immediately investigate, confiscate, cite and/or arrest those responsible for this alleged illegal activity.
This new, unique smartphone app, appropriately named, Nail ’em, places the power of illegal fireworks enforcement in the palm of any Californian’s hands. It will allow them to report the possession, sale and use of illegal fireworks in their community along with photos and GPS locations. The citizen’s complaint will automatically be routed to the correct law enforcement and fire personnel. The app user can elect to be the “reporting party” or remain anonymous. They can also opt-in to receive notifications and be kept informed regarding when and how their complaint was acted upon. This Nail ’em app is being provided to communities throughout California and their residents, free of charge, as a public service of TNT Fireworks.
“So many California communities in 2015, experienced a rampant use of illegal fireworks, especially in cities where no fireworks were allowed,” declared Dennis C. Revell, spokesperson for TNT Fireworks. “Despite public demands for increased enforcement and years of collaborative efforts between TNT Fireworks and state and local fire and law enforcement agencies to increase public education and create administrative citations and task forces, the sale and use of illegal fireworks has reached epidemic proportions. Because little or nothing is being done to stop the interdiction of these illegal, dangerous items into California, local jurisdictions have become not only the first line of defense, but the only line of defense against illegal fireworks!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPtXmUrP_IA&t=0s

wingman
06-19-2021, 10:37 AM
I'm curious why people continue to move to and live in that awful state.

Salutecake
06-19-2021, 06:49 PM
No offense to any in NY, NJ, and Conn, but it just seems that the people in those States like being taken care of or controlled. Gun rules, noise rules, every type of rule and regulation you can think of, like the people are idiots and can't think for themselves. The government will take care of you, cause you can't take care of yourself. Just ranting, sorry.

Engineer Cat
06-19-2021, 11:07 PM
HIGHLY OFFENDED! No I'm jokin :) The shear number of people that live in the small area is the reason for laws like that. The majority of people are not into guns (at least in the city areas) which is where the majority of the people are. Can't have idiots walking around with guns strapped to their hips here. Can't shoot aerial fireworks because houses are close to each other. There's plenty of farmland and trees but way less people live in those areas so they have to deal with the laws created for dealing with the majority. There's something like 23 million people in a 50 mile radius of Manhattan and a 1/4 of that radius is water.

More people means more idiots. :D People need to be told they can't do something otherwise they will do it.

I think it's messed up that TNT sells those fireworks to people knowing they are in areas that they are illegal, then turns around and makes an app that lets people rat out people.

Salutecake
06-20-2021, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the reply Engineer Cat! I didn't mean the people are idiots, just that the law makers treat them like idiots. I know NJ and NY have dense populations, but they also have large open area's, especially NY. But a lot of the city laws are applied throughout the state. Ok, fireworks in NYC probably not, but the guy up towards the Catskills or Adirondacks with a 500 acre farm still has to abide by the silly state law of safe and sane.
I'm in PA, and far far away from any where near perfect, but even before the state opened the rules on fireworks, I know there were a few towns that would issue you a permit shoot off your fireworks, also there were a few towns that opened community parks, little league baseball parks and said ok Friday 8 till 10 shoot off your fireworks, and the volunteer fire company showed up -- and all was good, anyway instead of arresting people some towns accommodated people.

Engineer Cat
06-21-2021, 12:42 AM
Yea, there's plenty of space out there to shoot off fireworks without putting other people in danger. West Jersey has a lot of open space as you head towards PA. I'm guessing you live in the eastern part of PA?

Those towns you mentioned were allowing people to shoot off fireworks in a designated area before PA made them legal? I would think, the thought of people driving to the shoot site with fireworks from all over town would immediately get a no from officials. But that sounds like real fun though.

In 2019 NJ legalized safe and sane fireworks. The good stuff is still off limits. But before they passed that law I was playing with sparkers and some bottle rockets entertaining the kids at my parents 4th of July party and the cops showed up, took my name and asked me if I had any more sparklers because they are illegal. Now when the cops show up when we got the good stuff going they just ask us to turn the music down or ask when we'll be done. Last year the cop hung out at the entrance to the yard watching the show. When it was over he said "Best fireworks I've seen all night, are you guys done now?" and he left. No name taking or any attitude.

Okimarine
06-21-2021, 02:54 AM
This App reminds me of one being used in Southern California in 2013-2015 timerframe for water usage. There was a schedule on when you could water your lawn. Water on the wrong day or spray water onto the sidewalk or road with your sprinkler system could be reported to the city via app for wasting water. This was my last duty station and I was so glad to be out of there.

Salutecake
06-21-2021, 06:54 AM
Yeo in eastern PA. Yea, stores in PA were selling consumer fireworks for a while before the became legal. They could apparently sell to out of state customers but not an resident of PA. Then some of the local towns started to sell permits, like 10 bucks with a date and time you could shoot them off, you could take that permit to the local fireworks store and buy what you wanted. But then the legalized them, you can buy all you want for a total of 18% sales tax, lol.
Before they became illegal, yep always worried about the cops showing up. I have to admit our local and state cops over the years have been pretty good, as long as you were done before 11 and it was a holiday weekend you were good.
One year, when the fireworks over, like you, I had a State Trooper standing at the edge of my driveway, and right away I thought here we go, but all he said is that he was driving by, saw the fireworks, thought he stop and watch, thought they were great and then went on his way.

Salutecake
06-21-2021, 07:02 AM
Hey Okimarine, first just going by your handle, thanks for your service. I think the part that bothers me most about these types of Apps, is that they are anonymous, and if cited you can't really face your accusers, and they remind me of McCarthyism, witch hunts, and turning in your neighbor for what you think is a communistic act, brings out the bad in everyone.