PDA

View Full Version : Living in A Fireworks Prohibited Area

FBpyro
06-18-2021, 12:35 PM
I saw another thread on here regarding fireworks and homeowners associations and am curious, how many other folks live in an area where fireworks of any kind are strictly prohibited? The wife and I recently purchased a home and unfortunately, it's in a city where no fireworks are allowed. Funny enough the city always puts a huge LED road sign right off the interstate that says "happy fourth, fireworks illegal", to which I think to myself "well how the hell is it happy then??" lol.

On the plus side, I have both my in-laws who live out in the country, and now my sister and brother-in-law who actually recently just bought a house out in the country (previously lived in fireworks allowed neighborhood). My family's new house has 30 acres! So I'm super excited to be doing future July 4th shows on their property. Does anyone else do their shows elsewhere besides where they live?

Engineer Cat
06-18-2021, 12:48 PM
Yes sir. My brother in law lives in the mountains and in a neighborhood where one person shoots off something and 3 others respond and that goes back and forth most of the night. Doesn't have to be a holiday for that to happen so I always go prepared. I also have friends that live on a river. Him and his 3 neighbors throw a huge 4th party. I setup a show each year on the dock he has floating in the river. It is a residential neighborhood so to keep the peace we only do about 5 mins or so. Usually 1 or 2 songs worth but a very busy 5 mins. LOL I'll be posting the show I scripted for this year at some point after the 4th.

upNdown
06-18-2021, 02:48 PM
I shoot pretty much once a year, on the fourth, at my buddy’s house on a pond. Fireworks are completely illegal where we live, but it’s pretty much overlooked by the police, on the fourth.
We did get a visit one year, right after we finished shooting, but that was when we were still shooting like amateurs - sending shells up over a period of an hour or two. Keeping the show to ten minutes makes fairly cop-proof.

WithReport
06-18-2021, 03:58 PM
The previous town I lived in allowed most all consumer fireworks other than rockets for both July 4th and NYE. It was an eye opener for me when I moved there as I grew up as a kid in a very dry foothill/mountain county where all fireworks were illegal.

Anyways, that town has now banned all use and possession of fireworks and strictly enforces it. The city boarders a large reservation and just about every street has those similar road signs.

We have since moved to the county where it is still legal and we have some land - the relator looked at us funny when we said firework laws were a item to consider in the move.

Where we are now a number of neighbors target shoot on their property and someone has a cannon near by. So no one is real particular about noise, but I still keep it to just the state legal holidays. I don't have much confidence that it will remain legal in the future. Backup plan is to have a rural community show on a pasture or farm field. The local rural fire chief is on board with the back up ideas. However, even now the county still requires a permit and insurance on non legal days - even for consumer fireworks.

So the backup to the backup, if needed in the future, may be to go to some friends property in another city or county.

Engineer Cat
06-18-2021, 04:04 PM
the relator looked at us funny when we said firework laws were a item to consider in the move.

Heheheh love this.

FBpyro
06-21-2021, 09:15 AM
I shoot pretty much once a year, on the fourth, at my buddy’s house on a pond. Fireworks are completely illegal where we live, but it’s pretty much overlooked by the police, on the fourth.
We did get a visit one year, right after we finished shooting, but that was when we were still shooting like amateurs - sending shells up over a period of an hour or two. Keeping the show to ten minutes makes fairly cop-proof.

My brother who's a cop told me once that in certain areas on the fourth the police are so busy with all the stabbings and shootings happening that they really could care less about dealing with punks with fireworks lol, pretty sad but hey it gives us pyros an advantage.

FBpyro
06-21-2021, 09:48 AM
The previous town I lived in allowed most all consumer fireworks other than rockets for both July 4th and NYE. It was an eye opener for me when I moved there as I grew up as a kid in a very dry foothill/mountain county where all fireworks were illegal.

Anyways, that town has now banned all use and possession of fireworks and strictly enforces it. The city boarders a large reservation and just about every street has those similar road signs.

We have since moved to the county where it is still legal and we have some land - the relator looked at us funny when we said firework laws were a item to consider in the move.

Where we are now a number of neighbors target shoot on their property and someone has a cannon near by. So no one is real particular about noise, but I still keep it to just the state legal holidays. I don't have much confidence that it will remain legal in the future. Backup plan is to have a rural community show on a pasture or farm field. The local rural fire chief is on board with the back up ideas. However, even now the county still requires a permit and insurance on non legal days - even for consumer fireworks.

So the backup to the backup, if needed in the future, may be to go to some friends property in another city or county.

Lol that's pretty funny about the realtor. Kind of surprised that eventually, you feel they will become illegal in the future despite being out in the country with land. It's always good when you can get the fire chief or any city official on board with that kind of stuff!