PDA

View Full Version : 1" Canister Shells Rack

randomrobot
06-16-2021, 11:12 AM
I've looked around the forum and didn't see anything but...I found 15 little 1" diameter festival ball mortars that I probably got free somewhere but I'd like to put into some kind of rack/cake for filler. They came with cardboard tubes, got 3 left which and have about a 1 1/8" ID. Any ideas of what I can put these in to so I can fuse them up? I'm struggling to round up any extra tubes or even fiberglass/HDPE that small. Thanks in advance.

upNdown
06-16-2021, 12:35 PM
Last year, I had some small balls. I ended up wrapping a length of foam tape around each one that perfectly took up the extra space in a DR11 tube. They all went up perfectly.
I think that's probably the most sensible solution for you - find something weightless that you can wrap around the equator of each ball, to make them fit whatever tubes you have. Because any solution that involves finding a dozen 1 1/8 tubes (especially this time of year) will likely cost a bunch more than those shells are worth.

randomrobot
06-16-2021, 12:45 PM
Brilliant!!! I agree with the cost/reward. I'll never actually buy these and plan on them for a show so no reason to spend the extra cash.

Thank you.

pyroboom
06-19-2021, 11:50 PM
We have 1.25" DR9 tubes at pyroboom.com. I believe we are the only supplier in the USA that sells this size tube.

randomrobot
06-24-2021, 09:23 AM
I added 3/8 foam around them and it's giving me about 1.75 OD on the shells. My tubes are 1.91 ID. Is that close enough to launch ok? I've also got some Radical Recoil shells that about the same size I wanted to put in the same tubes/rack. Thanks again for the help.

randomrobot
06-24-2021, 12:33 PM
I added 3/8 foam around them and it's giving me about 1.75 OD on the shells. My tubes are 1.91 ID. Is that close enough to launch ok? I've also got some Radical Recoil shells that about the same size I wanted to put in the same tubes/rack. Thanks again for the help.

Actually put a digital caliper on it, 1.5" on the shells with foam and 1.6" on the Radical Recoil balls going into the DR11. Is that safe?

PyroKing31
06-26-2021, 08:39 AM
FYI 49 of these fit in a milk crate. for using these shells.

Thanks for the tubes!

The shells are so cheap. its around 60 a case usually.

upNdown
06-27-2021, 12:53 AM
The only way to find out is to try. I'd guess they're probably safe? I've shot 1.5 balls out of DR11 and they've been fine. But I suppose if you had some 1.5s that were real stingy on the lift powder, it might not be ideal?

randomrobot
06-27-2021, 02:56 PM
I just went and got some half inch weatherstripping foam. Much better fit. Tried to add it about 3/4 the way up. Not sure how much it'll matter.

randomrobot
07-01-2021, 05:44 PM
Last year, I had some small balls. I ended up wrapping a length of foam tape around each one that perfectly took up the extra space in a DR11 tube. They all went up perfectly.
I think that's probably the most sensible solution for you - find something weightless that you can wrap around the equator of each ball, to make them fit whatever tubes you have. Because any solution that involves finding a dozen 1 1/8 tubes (especially this time of year) will likely cost a bunch more than those shells are worth.

So I wasn't comfortable with that much foam tape so I located some free 1 5" dr11 that I've made some tubes out of. I want to add the 3/8 foam back to those for a little better fit. Where should I put the foam? I'm thinking at the top to help with aerodynamics but what do I know?

upNdown
07-01-2021, 06:19 PM
So I wasn't comfortable with that much foam tape so I located some free 1 5" dr11 that I've made some tubes out of. I want to add the 3/8 foam back to those for a little better fit. Where should I put the foam? I'm thinking at the top to help with aerodynamics but what do I know?

Are you saying you want to line the inside of your tube with foam tape, instead of wrapping it around the shell? Sounds like a bad idea to me, but I've never tried it.
Search this site for the term sabot - that's what the foam tape around the shell is called - it was suggested to me last year (and it worked beautifully) and maybe there are some other posts using that term that will help you out.

randomrobot
07-01-2021, 07:43 PM
I'm gonna wrap the shells. My hdpe tubes are 1.5 ID and the festival ball shells are 1"

randomrobot
07-01-2021, 07:57 PM
How far up did you put the tape? Also, do canister shells just tumble anyways once the lift charge shoots them out of the tube?

ssmith512
07-01-2021, 08:28 PM
How far up did you put the tape? Also, do canister shells just tumble anyways once the lift charge shoots them out of the tube?

Yes they tumble. I'm not sure it will matter where you put the foam. If it were me, I would put in the center of the shell.