PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Slats and using 23 AWG Network Wire

SystemXpert
06-07-2021, 10:11 PM
Hello,

When I purchased my Cobra Modules I had them configured for Quick plugs. The Modules have these nice RJ45 connectors allowing you to use Mini-Slats in with 6 cues on each. This is great for my setup. So I purchased a bunch of those mini-slats (Breakout Boards). I don't have much unused network cable, so I was going to buy some patch cables...15ft to 25ft long. The Cobra docs suggest getting 22 AWG cable which is very hard to find. On the other hand 23 AWG network wire is easier to purchase. I seem to have the option of getting Stranded or Solid core wire. Normally, I would not care which is was for network traffic, but for shooting fireworks it might be a different story. Does anyone have any advice on getting Stranded vs. Solid core? Does it really make any difference? My total distance from the Module to the breakout board/slat will only be 15ft...possibly 25ft-40ft for some items. I am using Li Po batteries.

357pyro
06-08-2021, 04:37 PM
I use solid core 23AWG i got in bulk cheap online. I have some runs that are well over 50ft long and never had a failure to fire. I do try to limit the amount of ematch per channel to just one when im running it that far. I am using regulated ematch not MJG compliant initiators.

cjurczak
07-14-2021, 08:27 PM
Without getting into to many details, you should be able to run minimum of 200ft of 23ga UTP cable with one ematch at the end without a problem. Cable is about 4 ohms/100ft, ematch is about 2 ohms, misc connectors, transitions, etc figure another 1 ohm. Plenty of head room on 9V or lips system to be able to fire. The reason. I stopped at 200ft is really over 100ft becomes impractical to do via cable (in my opinion) and if that’s what you need it’s time to start talking about another module.

I hope that helps, and if you have any other questions or want to better understand the details please let me know…

esgrillo
07-14-2021, 10:57 PM
Hello,

When I purchased my Cobra Modules I had them configured for Quick plugs. The Modules have these nice RJ45 connectors allowing you to use Mini-Slats in with 6 cues on each. This is great for my setup. So I purchased a bunch of those mini-slats (Breakout Boards). I don't have much unused network cable, so I was going to buy some patch cables...15ft to 25ft long. The Cobra docs suggest getting 22 AWG cable which is very hard to find. On the other hand 23 AWG network wire is easier to purchase. I seem to have the option of getting Stranded or Solid core wire. Normally, I would not care which is was for network traffic, but for shooting fireworks it might be a different story. Does anyone have any advice on getting Stranded vs. Solid core? Does it really make any difference? My total distance from the Module to the breakout board/slat will only be 15ft...possibly 25ft-40ft for some items. I am using Li Po batteries.

Like 357 and cjurczak said, I just used regular 23 solid cat5. I had runs up to 150 ft. I also did a ring of 14 mini slats around my retention pond with 50ft between each slat. It worked perfect and having fixed length cords made the spacing perfect. You can see it at 8:30 in my video from this year.

Also they are cheap which is good because I had a couple get a little "cooked" lol... and will have to replace :cool:

CozmicRooster
07-15-2021, 09:21 AM
I?ve seen this question asked elsewhere and in addition to what has been said above it has also been recommended that you make sure the wire is solid copper and NOT Copper Clad Aluminum. It will usually say in the product description CCA if that is the case. I am also using Cat-5 UTP solid copper wire but I have not used it in the types of runs described above just yet. I also buy bulk cable and make my own. It?s really not that difficult and is a lot cheaper than buying premade cables. YMMV

WithReport
07-15-2021, 10:18 AM
I'd recommend using stranded vs solid copper. Stranded is more flexible and provides redundant conductors.

The thicker gauge is to reduce resistance. Resistance will be critical depending on length of run, number of igniters, and firing voltage. So it may not be critical in your application.

On another system with a higher firing voltage, all my cables are 24awg stranded and it will go 100s of feet. I've seen some tests done by others out to 450ft.