PDA

View Full Version : Quickfire Clips for MJG Firewire Initiators

Jhite71111
05-28-2021, 12:30 PM
Does anyone have any experience using these clips with cakes or shells? I like the idea of it but I am wondering if it reduces the likelihood of ignition? Curious to know if anyone has experience with these and your thoughts!

Thanks - Josh

Scotty Rockets
05-28-2021, 02:13 PM
Get the firewire with the attached tube for visco instead.

https://electricmatch.com/pyrotechnics/see/37/5/firewire-visco-initiators

Jhite71111
05-28-2021, 03:24 PM
Hi Scotty - I don't use it with visco. I believe the use of the clips is for poking and inserting it into the lift charge. Since there is a better barrier between the charge and the match head, it is supposed to be safer. I am wondering if anyone has used this instead of just inserting the match directly into the lift charge and curious about the performance.

Scotty Rockets
05-28-2021, 07:11 PM
Oh you mean the ematch ports you usually see on class B product... yes I know a guy that uses those exclusively with cakes because he doesn’t like the idea of the rematch inside of the tube for whatever reason. He has 100% success doing it this way and does some excellent pyromusical shows.

Jhite71111
05-28-2021, 07:40 PM
I think we are getting close! You would use these clips because there is not an ematch port. I like the idea of them. Wish it would work for shells but I think it’s too bulky so it wouldn’t fit in the mortar tubes.

Scotty Rockets
05-28-2021, 08:29 PM
These? One thing to consider if using firewire, they don’t produce much fire in comparison to regulated ematch. That would be a major concern I would have with these clips and I would not use them.

https://electricmatch.com/pyrotechnics/see/7/5/quickfire-clips

Jhite71111
05-28-2021, 08:39 PM
That’s it. I see them on the cobra site. My concern with them is whether or not it will produce enough fire. Are you aware of people that have tried these with FireWire initiators and did not achieve ignition? Thanks for the advice

Jhite71111
05-28-2021, 08:50 PM
By the way, I watched your show, was excellent!!!

mguerra
05-29-2021, 12:26 AM
MJG website says the QuickClips are discontinued. Note that the photo showed an ematch installed not a Firewire, but I suppose that’s a moot point.

Scotty Rockets
05-29-2021, 01:51 AM
By the way, I watched your show, was excellent!!!

Personally I don’t know of anyone that has used them. What mguerra states them being discontinued is kinda telling imo. Thanks for the kind comment on my show btw.

Jhite71111
05-29-2021, 11:04 AM
My pleasure. Cobra is selling them on their website now.

Jhite71111
05-29-2021, 11:05 AM
https://www.cobrafiringsystems.com/quickfire

WithReport
05-30-2021, 02:37 AM
I tried them MANY years ago - they are a PITA and not worth it. Just poke the tube.

Cobra probably has a stock pile - they'll likely keep trying to sell them till they run out.

Arles
05-30-2021, 08:59 AM
I tried them MANY years ago - they are a PITA and not worth it. Just poke the tube.

Cobra probably has a stock pile - they'll likely keep trying to sell them till they run out.

Ha, I did my part bought a box earlier this year. When you say they're not worth it... is it because they fail to ignite the cake or is it just the extra step? I assume one still pokes the cakes prior to inserting the plug, the perceived benefit to me is that it seemingly provides a more 'protected' place for the ignitor. Thanks

Rick_In_Tampa
05-30-2021, 04:20 PM
I bought some 4 years ago. Still have 99% of them somewhere. Big PITA. Totally not worth the effort. As other have said, just poke the cake and insert the initiator. The matchhead stays inside the orange shroud when you poke the cake. So there's really no difference. Even if the match head sticks out of the shroud and makes contact with the lift charge, it's not going to spontaneously combust and light your cake. It just doesn't work that way.