PDA

View Full Version : multiple Quickplug igniters on one cue

mguerra
05-28-2021, 12:02 PM
If you use Quickplug igniters you can do this. Or do it in parallel if you want to. https://youtu.be/EmX6BRyqLgQ

Arles
05-28-2021, 12:17 PM
Just passing on what I've learned here, but there are simpler options available if you're looking for fast and easy, which you presumably are if you're using Quickplugs. Cobra and others sell small boards that provide serial or parallel firing off of one queue for a few bucks. One vendor splits up to 12.

Scotty Rockets
05-28-2021, 02:30 PM
Just passing on what I've learned here, but there are simpler options available if you're looking for fast and easy, which you presumably are if you're using Quickplugs. Cobra and others sell small boards that provide serial or parallel firing off of one queue for a few bucks. One vendor splits up to 12.

Yes he did refer to those quick splits which MJG sells in his video. I do like his idea for in a pinch. I myself have a bunch of quick splits 4’s and 12’s. MJG’s supplier of these boards is a member here also btw. And it’s not hobby shop.

mguerra
05-29-2021, 12:18 AM
I did say that Cobra has the Breakout Boards (I have them on order) and that MJG has a similar device. This video is just for those who don’t have either of those items. I made up a batch just for a project on a rainy day!

BMoore
05-30-2021, 08:44 AM
Great video. I haven’t converted to quickplugs yet but learned about scotch locks last year and they are a massive timesaver when doing a lot of serial wiring or running scab wire.

Arles
05-30-2021, 08:53 AM
I did say that Cobra has the Breakout Boards (I have them on order) and that MJG has a similar device. This video is just for those who don’t have either of those items. I made up a batch just for a project on a rainy day!

Sorry about that and thanks for the video.... I should have watched the whole thing.

CozmicRooster
05-31-2021, 07:37 PM
Love the video! Thanks for the tip. Being new to e-firing (not new to wiring or electronics) is there any difference in reliability with series vs parallel, and a rule of thumb maximum for each?

BMoore
06-01-2021, 09:35 AM
Love the video! Thanks for the tip. Being new to e-firing (not new to wiring or electronics) is there any difference in reliability with series vs parallel, and a rule of thumb maximum for each?

The biggest difference is that with series wiring, if any of the e-matches in the series are bad the system will not show continuity. With parallel wiring as long as any of the e-matches are good it will show continuity. So from a testing standpoint, series is the way to go as you are in effect testing every one of your e-matches. Typically you can have more wired in series than in parallel but the max is going to depend on the system. The downside to series wiring is that one bad e-match can prevent all others on the cue from firing. Occasionally a match will test good continuity but still fail. In that case you could lose an entire cue. Personally I always wire in series.

CozmicRooster
06-01-2021, 11:19 AM
The biggest difference is that with series wiring, if any of the e-matches in the series are bad the system will not show continuity. With parallel wiring as long as any of the e-matches are good it will show continuity. So from a testing standpoint, series is the way to go as you are in effect testing every one of your e-matches. Typically you can have more wired in series than in parallel but the max is going to depend on the system. The downside to series wiring is that one bad e-match can prevent all others on the cue from firing. Occasionally a match will test good continuity but still fail. In that case you could lose an entire cue. Personally I always wire in series.

Series for continuity checking makes sense. I’m curious about limitations the impedance would have on maximum number of initiators series vs parallel since one way you are increasing the impedance and the other way significantly reduces it, changing the load on the battery. Maybe it’s not enough to be of significance.

Arles
06-01-2021, 11:47 AM
Series for continuity checking makes sense. I?m curious about limitations the impedance would have on maximum number of initiators series vs parallel since one way you are increasing the impedance and the other way significantly reduces it, changing the load on the battery. Maybe it?s not enough to be of significance.

Capacity would vary by system and even depend on which battery configuration you're set up with as well as wiring. I would assume each manufacturer has it's own limitations. Here are Cobra's specs:

https://help.cobrafiringsystems.com/support/solutions/articles/44001380462

Scotty Rockets
06-02-2021, 11:40 AM
Series versus parallel is always debatable.

Series pros
continuity testing
more ematches in the circuit

Series cons
one bad ematch and the others in circuit will also fail
wiring is a bit more complex

Parallel pros
with one bad ematch the rest the will still pop

Parallel cons
continuity testing
less ematches

It really all comes down to, if there is a failed ematch you either have all cues fail or just one cue fail.

I advise to never mix firewire with ematch or mixed brand ematch when series wiring.