PDA

View Full Version : Pyro-Musical Planning

SystemXpert
05-20-2021, 10:04 PM
Hello,

This will be my first year shooting a fireworks show via Cobra. I am limited on budget, did my best to use sales, but I can only manage (3) 18M Modules along with the 18R2 Controller (54 cues). I am planning (3) firing positions along a creek in my Neighborhood. I have roughly $900 bucks worth of 1.4 fireworks on order with Spirit of 76. There will be a mix of Proline Cakes, Proline Single Shots, and Consumer Cakes in the show. Likely, I'll end up with 75-100 fireworks in the show depending on how I group things. I will be using small slats that are connected via RJ45 cables and some items will connected directly to Modules using quick plugs. So my songs will be limited to just 4....roughly 10-12 mins total show length.

Magic of Love - Two Steps from Hell
Headlights - Robin Schultz
Halo - Beyonce'
?????????

My difficulty is in choosing the last song. Since this will be for the 4th of July, I feel obligated to have something patriotic like a Sousa March or Neil Diamond "Coming to America". or Bruce Springsteen "Born in the USA" or Lee Greenwood "God Bless America". However, so many Pyromusical's have used these songs they feel sort of "dated" to me. I don't know. During the finale, I plan to have 3-4 500 Gram 12 shot cakes going along with some Fan effects and some single shots.....roughly 30-35 secs. So in reviewing music, I am looking for something that has a 30-40 second ending that has nice swells.

Suggestions?

Greenville Pyro
05-21-2021, 06:36 AM
A less used piece but still pretty fun and a good closer would be Only in America by Brooks and Dunn. After listening to your set list, I think it would work. What do you think?

topshelfpyro
05-21-2021, 07:33 AM
unless you have used those "dated" songs for YOUR audience does it really matter? Personally, I start with the National Anthem and end with God bless the USA for my 4th shoot. May change up the finale song next year just for a change but it will still be patriotic since it is the 4th.

Birdman
05-21-2021, 09:34 AM
I seem to ponder the same question every year. My advice is just use whatever songs you want to use and don't feel obligated to use/omit any song that doesn't/does inspire you. Most of your audience probably won't even remember the soundtrack. The great thing about doing something as a hobby is that you get to do everything on your terms. You are your only customer and the only opinion that matters in the end. There are songs I would like to use but so far haven't felt appropriate, so I do try to keep my audience in mind and sometimes that is the inspiration to want to use a song. It's your show for you and your audience!

I didn't use any patriotic songs for my first few shows even though I too felt obligated for the 4th. There were other songs I wanted to use and didn't want to cut those songs for something I was much less excited about. In this year's soundtrack I am ending with a clip from Jimi Hendrix's National Anthem (Woodstock). It crossed my mind other years but this year it just felt right. I'm also doing the Nation Anthem for a family picnic this year. I usually use a "party" song that's heavy on the pyro for this occasion. I decided the National Anthem was the best fit this year. It worked well with the extra product I already have on hand and I can easily substitute what I need to get yet if something I want to use is out of stock. It was a pleasure to script and it just felt right this time around. So don't force it and use what feels right and works for you. There's always next show.

Salutecake
05-21-2021, 10:05 AM
Most of the stuff I have read and have heard at pyromusical conferences suggest sticking with the familiar or you will loose part of the audience. An example would be using Heavy Metal or Rap songs. You almost instantly loose anyone over 50 and perhaps down to 40. Reasons, over 40 people might not know recent songs, not knowing the song people can't follow, people over 40 tend to start to listen to softer songs as they age, using the example metal or rap songs you loose the pop and country people, the list kind of goes on but hopefully you get the idea. Now unless you are catering to a special kind of group, doing the music for what you want and not for the benefit of the audience, or other reasons, although some might call it corny, stick to the familiar if you want to please a bigger part of the crowd.

Not trying to create controversy or bash any music types, just stating what the pro's tell you.

SystemXpert
05-21-2021, 10:23 AM
unless you have used those "dated" songs for YOUR audience does it really matter? Personally, I start with the National Anthem and end with God bless the USA for my 4th shoot. May change up the finale song next year just for a change but it will still be patriotic since it is the 4th.

Hmm......An interesting idea. Starting the show with something patriot. And you are right...it does not really matter. Thank you!

SystemXpert
05-21-2021, 10:24 AM
I seem to ponder the same question every year. My advice is just use whatever songs you want to use and don't feel obligated to use/omit any song that doesn't/does inspire you. Most of your audience probably won't even remember the soundtrack. The great thing about doing something as a hobby is that you get to do everything on your terms. You are your only customer and the only opinion that matters in the end. There are songs I would like to use but so far haven't felt appropriate, so I do try to keep my audience in mind and sometimes that is the inspiration to want to use a song. It's your show for you and your audience!

I didn't use any patriotic songs for my first few shows even though I too felt obligated for the 4th. There were other songs I wanted to use and didn't want to cut those songs for something I was much less excited about. In this year's soundtrack I am ending with a clip from Jimi Hendrix's National Anthem (Woodstock). It crossed my mind other years but this year it just felt right. I'm also doing the Nation Anthem for a family picnic this year. I usually use a "party" song that's heavy on the pyro for this occasion. I decided the National Anthem was the best fit this year. It worked well with the extra product I already have on hand and I can easily substitute what I need to get yet if something I want to use is out of stock. It was a pleasure to script and it just felt right this time around. So don't force it and use what feels right and works for you. There's always next show.

You make some interesting points. Thank you for the advice! You are right this is MY show and I guess I was getting too hung up on trying to match everything perfectly.

SystemXpert
05-21-2021, 10:27 AM
Most of the stuff I have read and have heard at pyromusical conferences suggest sticking with the familiar or you will loose part of the audience. An example would be using Heavy Metal or Rap songs. You almost instantly loose anyone over 50 and perhaps down to 40. Reasons, over 40 people might not know recent songs, not knowing the song people can't follow, people over 40 tend to start to listen to softer songs as they age, using the example metal or rap songs you loose the pop and country people, the list kind of goes on but hopefully you get the idea. Now unless you are catering to a special kind of group, doing the music for what you want and not for the benefit of the audience, or other reasons, although some might call it corny, stick to the familiar if you want to please a bigger part of the crowd.

Not trying to create controversy or bash any music types, just stating what the pro's tell you.

Thank you for the advice. I guess I was getting carried away trying to create the perfect show. I must have watched a 100 hrs worth Pyromuscials....from the backyard guys to the Pros shooting off barges on waterways.

SystemXpert
05-21-2021, 10:28 AM
A less used piece but still pretty fun and a good closer would be Only in America by Brooks and Dunn. After listening to your set list, I think it would work. What do you think?

I took a listen...it has a potential. I would need to cut it down some with Audacity, but it might just work. Thanks!

Birdman
05-21-2021, 01:43 PM
As a challenge to myself here's what I came up with on a work break:

Halo to Made in the USA (https://www.dropbox.com/s/at9tqrv189jgxft/Test-Mix.mp3?dl=0)

Birdman
05-21-2021, 03:53 PM
Had time for another:

Halo to This Land (J Lopez) (https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpmxyl352m0xqhw/Test-Mix2.mp3?dl=0)

Scotty Rockets
05-21-2021, 09:14 PM
2 suggestions

Ray Charles - America the beautiful

Madison Rising - Star spangled banner

SystemXpert
05-22-2021, 07:41 AM
2 suggestions

Ray Charles - America the beautiful

Madison Rising - Star spangled banner

Thank you for the suggestions!

SystemXpert
05-22-2021, 07:43 AM
As a challenge to myself here's what I came up with on a work break:

Halo to Made in the USA (https://www.dropbox.com/s/at9tqrv189jgxft/Test-Mix.mp3?dl=0)

Thank you! This is the winner. Upbeat...Patriotic ....with a minor fade-out at the end...it fits a 35 second finale!

Birdman
05-22-2021, 08:26 AM
Thank you! This is the winner. Upbeat...Patriotic ....with a minor fade-out at the end...it fits a 35 second finale!

Glad I could be of some help! Good luck with the show and I look forward to seeing the video if you get one.

Berserker23
05-22-2021, 04:47 PM
I usually mix up the music but this year I?m going with classic rock Led Zeppelin, Scorpions, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden and I retire all the songs that i used every year

Okimarine
05-23-2021, 09:36 AM
I usually mix up the music but this year I?m going with classic rock Led Zeppelin, Scorpions, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden and I retire all the songs that i used every year

Do you time these or just play them during the show? This is my type of lineup and would be fine for the July 4th family reunion, not the case for our Church's youth camp though. I think the patriotic songs / non-rockmusic songs would be fine for the youth camp.

Berserker23
05-23-2021, 10:47 PM
I just play the songs with the fireworks but if it’s a slow song I slowdown the show