PDA

View Full Version : Comet stabilization

Jhite71111
05-18-2021, 05:14 PM
Hey guys. Apologies if this is a really rookie question! I need to custom make some racks for comets I will be shooting off. I was going to secure them to the rack with with zip ties through pegboard. My question is whether or not that will affect the flight? Will the actual tube stay connected to the rack and the comet just shoot out of the tube? I have read not to secure it too tightly so I don?t affect the flight but I just want to make sure I won?t have a problem if the actual tube stays secured. Just want to make sure the comet shoots out right. This is probably a silly question but I needed to get it off my chest! Thanks Josh

displayfireworks1
05-18-2021, 06:08 PM
Curious if you own a Cobra Firing System and/or did you take my Articles of Pyrotechnics continuing education program. I cover some of this in the program.

Jhite71111
05-18-2021, 06:32 PM
Curious if you own a Cobra Firing System and/or did you take my Articles of Pyrotechnics continuing education program. I cover some of this in the program.

Hi Dave, yes and yes. I recall the section of your program that talked about comets showed two types of racks that I do not have. I thought about this question as I watched it in your video as well. I think an interesting topic, especially for a new people, would be to show or explain what actually happens when a firework lifts off ( especially for comet, mines, shells, etc.). Something else I have thought about which is on the same line of thinking, are the ramifications of poking a shell and inserting an MGG then taping the wire to the shell. I secure wire the shell the same way you do by wrapping it around a screw but I am wondering about the taped wire to the shell. Does that affect the flight? This kind of goes back to the question of what exactly happens when a firework lifts off! By the way I really enjoyed Articles of Pyrotechnics, thanks for the great video.

Mattp
05-18-2021, 10:09 PM
When poking/inserting an initiator into a shell.. your inserting into the lift charge which blows the shell out of the tube with so much force it will not affect the height… the main reason for wrapping the wire is to protect your firing system and other cues in the mod from being pulled out.. with your original question .. the comet comes out of the tube and the tube stays put … I think your zip tie/peg board idea will work fine .. just make sure the bottoms are seated on something as well

Scotty Rockets
05-18-2021, 11:52 PM
No problems the peg board method will work fine, stop worrying lol

Rick_In_Tampa
05-19-2021, 08:54 PM
If it's any comfort to you, when I shoot comets or mines I duct tape them to dowel rods and stick the rod in the ground. If I have more than 1 that I want to fire from the same position, I duct tape them together and stick wooden dowel rods between them and sink the rods in the ground. Works like a champ every time. It's a lot less complicated than what you're looking at doing. So your plan will work just fine.

BMoore
05-20-2021, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure how you could secure them too tightly unless you are smashing smashing it. The walls of single shot comets are pretty thick so I don't see that being an issue. They don't have a whole lot of recoil compared to other shells so no need to go overboard. Your peg board method will work just fine, but if the peg board extends up past the end of the comets, be sure it's not warped to where it will deflect the comet when it exits.

PyroJoeNEPA
05-20-2021, 11:47 AM
All the comments above are spot on. The main concern with "one shots" is that the bottom is set against something solid. The force of the lift charge can blow the bottom plug out--it is only flimsy plastic & staples. The peg board rack method allows you to pre-wire & set angles ahead of time & cuts down setup time in the field if you are using a bunch of comets. If you are only using a few pieces it is not a big time saver.
Ematching into the lift of a shell and taping the wire to the shell will not stop the shell from coming out of the tube. Just be sure your wire is tied off securely outside of the tube.
And, no need to apologize for "rookie" questions. We all started with our first step. Better to ask and get advice than to guess at something.

Jhite71111
05-26-2021, 12:43 AM
thank you everyone! I appreciate all the input and help.