PDA

View Full Version : These Goliath shells are breaking too low, right?

upNdown
05-10-2021, 02:43 PM
These are the 2nd and 3rd single ball shells from this box, and the first one broke just as low. There?s a pro shell at the end, for comparison sake.
I?m thinking I might not want to shoot these at all. Because if this is normal for these shells, what happens when one breaks low?
https://youtu.be/ceT8JzNIEw4

jdels
05-10-2021, 03:44 PM
Seems very low, the break appears to be hitting the ground.

ssmith512
05-10-2021, 04:44 PM
They dont appear to be leaving the mortar with much velocity. Mortar sized appropriately to the ball shell?

upNdown
05-10-2021, 04:49 PM
They're DR11 tubes and these are goliath shells, so they should be sized appropriately. Now that you mention it, I don't think I've loaded any of these Goliaths myself, this year. But my buddy knows what he's doing, so I'm pretty confident that these aren't some tiny balls.

Salutecake
05-10-2021, 05:10 PM
ssmith512, they looked slow to me too. Also make sure they are hitting the bottom of the mortar. On the other hand, and I can't remember the name of the canister shells I had last 4th, but a whole bunch of those broke very low and I know they were loaded correctly.
Then I also heard people say the companies make them break lower so the breaks look bigger????

jamisonlm3
05-10-2021, 07:14 PM
The Goliath shells are using the same HDPE mortar excals have. Could they be undersized and Jake's didn't catch it. I'd suspect there's not enought lift, but making sure they're sitting on the bottom of the mortar is also a must.

upNdown
05-10-2021, 07:33 PM
but making sure they're sitting on the bottom of the mortar is also a must.

Also make sure they are hitting the bottom of the mortar.

Sigh. I appreciate the feedback, I really do. But we're not rookies - they're definitely hitting the bottoms of the tubes. I can say that with certainty, even though I didn't load them. Conscientious shooters, here.

PyroKing31
05-11-2021, 06:33 AM
I have heard that they are breaking low, they are loading them with the same lift comp as the prev excals and with the extra inch of cardboard and fluff they dont go as high. Most people dont want to crack the lift section and add more BP, but its either that or know that they break lower and plan for it. This does not appear to be a unique or new problem for these shells.

for a lot of consumers, lower = bigger better louder. We are not regular consumers.

jamisonlm3
05-11-2021, 02:16 PM
If these had around the same amount of lift as excals, they would've go higher. Those have around 8g. More than enough to get them up there. It wouldn't hurt to find the tube you guys were shooting from and see how they actually fit in it. It may or may not prove anything since they're shipping those shells with a couple of excal tubes.

flashfuse
05-11-2021, 04:12 PM
Try some masking tape around the shells to make a snug fit with the mortar , if that dont help they are definitely under lifted .......

Big Worm
05-11-2021, 08:00 PM
Looks like you have some unique ground effects. lol

upNdown
05-12-2021, 11:34 AM
Try some masking tape around the shells to make a snug fit with the mortar , if that dont help they are definitely under lifted .......

If these had around the same amount of lift as excals, they would've go higher. Those have around 8g. More than enough to get them up there. It wouldn't hurt to find the tube you guys were shooting from and see how they actually fit in it. It may or may not prove anything since they're shipping those shells with a couple of excal tubes.

It isn't a tube issue, I promise you.
We were shooting from standard 1.91" diameter DR11 plugged tubes.
As far as how they fit - I'll get some new pictures this weekend, but I can tell you they fit fine. A few weeks before, we tested a bunch of different shells. I posted the video here before, but I just edited out the dead time, so I'll post it again. The first shell in this video is a whistling buster, which definitely did NOT fit well - it was clearly about 1.5 inches (as opposed to the standard 1.75 inch ball) but we tested one and it rose surprisingly well. Compare that to the Goliath ball (from this same box as the two in the earlier video) which fit the tube normally - it goes up at the 36 second point.
In order, on this video:
Whistling buster
Super magnum ball
super magnum ball
Pro Shell
Goliath can
Goliath single ball
Goliath double ball
Front Lines
Front Lines
Fear no evil
https://youtu.be/0aFHc0eomrQ

ssmith512
05-12-2021, 12:28 PM
If it is clearly not a mortar issue then it can only be one of two things....insufficient lift charge or time fuse incorrect burn rate/time.

upNdown
05-12-2021, 10:17 PM
If it is clearly not a mortar issue then it can only be one of two things....insufficient lift charge or time fuse incorrect burn rate/time.

This makes a lot of sense, and I hadn’t considered it. If the shell is breaking in under a second, that has to be a problem with the time fuse, right? There could be insufficient lift or plenty of lift and neither would matter. Hmm.

ssmith512
05-13-2021, 09:31 AM
There could be insufficient lift or plenty of lift and neither would matter.

Exactly. If you have a time fuse that has a faster than expected burn rate or a time fuse that has the "correct", expected burn rate but is too short, then you will have a break that is lower than intended.