View Full Version : I found Comets!

upNdown
05-06-2021, 09:29 AM
Thanks to @jordan0885 I found some comets. In another thread, he mentoned to me that Dominator still makes comet shells 1.4.
Living in MA, where fireworks (even sparklers) are illegal I've always been at the mercy of the NH stores. Since I can't get things shipped into Massachusetts, all I can get is what the NH stores stock. There's a few good ones up there, and I've done pretty well. But nobody has sold comets in at least a couple of years.
After hearing Dominator sold them, I decided to broaden my search. Turnes out that one of our sponsors, Intergalactic in Pennslyvania had some in stock. I had friday off, so at 8:30 AM, I headed south. I got home at 9:30 PM with enough comets to keep me happy for a couple of years, and some other cool dominator products.
The guys at Intergalactic are great. I could have chatted with them for hours, but I had to get back in the car and drive, hoping to beat the NYC rush hour (nope.) But they mentioned that they had a couple more cases of comet shells in stock, if anybody needs any. And they ship, to states that allow it, of course.

upNdown
05-06-2021, 09:44 AM
Oh, and PS - after shopping in tax free NH, that 6% PA sales tax and 12% PA fireworks tax really stink.

jamisonlm3
05-06-2021, 11:25 AM
Good for you. Intergalactic has some great product. I know the feeling. I went on a bit of a road trip last year. I'd love to stay and chat with the owner, but I needed to be getting back on the road. Still, it was worth it.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-06-2021, 05:52 PM
Stupid random thought.... What's stopping you from driving over the border of a pyro friendly state, finding a post office and opening a P.O. box where you can get stuff delivered?? The reduced travel time should more than pay for the annual cost of the box.

Jordan0885
05-06-2021, 07:59 PM
Glad I could help in some small way. I had the mines last year and really liked them, might end up with some more this year as I'm taking a pyro trip this weekend and hitting a couple places.

Delloman
05-06-2021, 08:55 PM
Ya get one at a ups store and you should have good luck its an actual address you can put apartment instead of PO box it may help when the shippers try to deliver

upNdown
05-06-2021, 09:57 PM
Stupid random thought.... What's stopping you from driving over the border of a pyro friendly state, finding a post office and opening a P.O. box where you can get stuff delivered?? The reduced travel time should more than pay for the annual cost of the box.

Ya get one at a ups store and you should have good luck its an actual address you can put apartment instead of PO box it may help when the shippers try to deliver

Definitely not a stupid thought. In fact, the guys at intergalactic themselves even suggested shipping stuff to a terminal in NH for me. I didn't hang around to explore the idea fully, because I'm actually done with my major shopping for the year, and like I said, I was just trying to hit the road at that point.
But lets discuss it.
If I wanted to do this next year, my question/issue would be - if I were ordering cases, say maybe the amount needed to hit wholesalers minimums (so probably a grand, maybe as low as $500,) we're talking about a lot of fireworks - maybe like half a pallet. I wouldn't expect the Post office to accept that. I'd be surprised if the UPS store would either. Anybody have any experience doing this?

jamisonlm3
05-07-2021, 12:02 AM
How long of a drive was it for you to Intergalactic? It's probably worth looking into picking up at the nearest terminal. You might be looking at cutting your driving time in half. Send them an email and ask them.

wingman
05-07-2021, 12:25 AM
US Postal Service doesn't allow shipping or receiving of fireworks, so a P.O. box wouldn't do any good. Same with UPS. I think FedEx allows ground shipping but only limits it to sparklers.

upNdown
05-07-2021, 09:36 AM
How long of a drive was it for you to Intergalactic? It's probably worth looking into picking up at the nearest terminal. You might be looking at cutting your driving time in half. Send them an email and ask them.

It was about 5.5 hours each way. As opposed to an hour each way to NH. And Intergalactic actually suggested shipping to a terminal in NH.
I wonder how the whole shipping terminal thing works - will I have to pay extra for that? I also wonder if Intergalactic has to charge PA sales tax and fireworks tax on stuff being sold out of state?

jamisonlm3
05-07-2021, 10:47 AM
That's quite a drive. My last order was sipped with YRC. There's a terminal in Bedford, NH. I wouldn't hurt to ask Intergalactic who they'd ship your order with. They can look for the nearest terminal for you. Like I said earlier, you may be cutting your driving time in half. I get the feeling it might be even better than that for you. Since you'd be buying wholesale, there wouldn't be sales tax. It would be just the price of the product and shipping combined. Again, that's something you can confrim by asking them directly.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-09-2021, 05:17 PM
Okay. So if the USPS won't accept them why not use the UPS mailing address, ship them UPS or FedEx, and and arrange to have them picked up at the UPS or FedEx terminal? I ship them to my house address, but I always have the option of picking them up from the UPS or FedEx terminal. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

jamisonlm3
05-09-2021, 07:45 PM
I don't see why that wouldn't either. It also depends on how far the nearest terminal is. Intergalactic can find that out for you. As small a state as NH is, it might be they're all fairly close together and not a huge difference in drive time.