PDA

View Full Version : PGI Class.

cody138
04-20-2021, 10:30 PM
Just wanted to stop in an give my experience with the PGI display operators class that my wife and I took this weekend in PA. It was fantastic, learned a lot and had fun while doing it. A rep from Cobra firing systems was there and as always those guys are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to there products and a pleasure to talk to. The instructors for the class keep it fun and answered any questions that was thrown there way. If you have not taken this class I would recommend it no matter what your skill level is.

Mattp
04-21-2021, 05:08 PM
That’s great,, I wanted to attend that same class,, but could not make the date work for me.. glad it went well

Rick_In_Tampa
04-21-2021, 07:34 PM
Just curious. Did they provide the PGI DOC textbook at your class? Talk about a wealth of knowledge. It's a great reference tool when you're planning a show too.

cody138
04-23-2021, 02:31 PM
Rick yes they did supply the PGI text book, I guess I can say where it was at as they are sponsors on this site. So yeah Kellners did an amazing job with classes and displays that weekend.

displayfireworks1
04-23-2021, 08:03 PM
For the last few years or so in October I teach an ATF license class specific to becoming an 1.3 fireworks customer of Kellners. That has been immediately followed by the PGI shooter course. The more I think about it , I should probably talk to Bob at Kellners , I should be teaching the ATF license class in April as opposed to October. This way I can get more fireworks enthusiast licensed before the July 4th holiday.

cody138
04-23-2021, 09:32 PM
Dave that is not a bad idea, there were a good many there who did not hold an ATF license, was kind of surprised.

WithReport
04-24-2021, 02:52 PM
I learned a lot of what NOT to do a few years ago in a PGI shooters class. :confused: There was good and bad parts. Not sure we had the best instructor as he fumbled around things most of the day. The worst was during the daytime demo. With his remote in the bright daylight he was not able to read what channel he selected and then fired cues on the wrong channel and nearly blew some heads off people standing over a 5" rack that went off when trying to ignite quickmatch with an e-match on the ground. It was the most stupid and scary moment I've seen so far - hopefully it remains the worst. Lesson that day: always be aware and responsible for yourself first - don't just rely on others (My self and a few others actually backed up from all matched items once the instructor picked up the remote).

Regardless of inability to read what channel he was firing in the daylight, he shouldn't have had that module armed on that rack to begin with with people standing around it.:mad:

Rick_In_Tampa
04-25-2021, 03:53 PM
Regardless of inability to read what channel he was firing in the daylight, he shouldn't have had that module armed on that rack to begin with with people standing around it.:mad:

Exactly right!! There was a moron at PGI a number of years ago that was teaching a class on gas mines. After his little bit of instruction we all headed over to where he was going to shoot one off so everyone could see how it was made. This fool shows up with his wife/girlfriend in their pickup truck and multiple 5 gallon gas cans in the bed of the truck. They're both sitting in the truck smoking cigarettes. Then they both get out, cigarettes hanging out of their mouths, and the guy grabs one of the gas cans and he starts walking over to the tube to pour in the gas. My buddy told the crowd to back up, I went over to this guy and asked him WTF he thought he was doing. I told them both to put out the cigarettes and they refused. He told me he knows more about gasoline than probably anyone on the planet! I told him people are looking at him as an example of how to do something, and he was teaching them to be unsafe. He still refused to put out the cigarette. Since my only options were to beat his ass or wait to see if they blew themselves up, I chose the latter option and took out my cell phone to film. Once it was all over we drove over to the safety office and reported the guy and his wife/girlfriend. I'm told he was asked to leave the convention and not return.

Some people just have to learn things the hard way.