PDA

View Full Version : Hello, WV Pyro here

Okimarine
04-15-2021, 12:39 PM
Hello to all, long time reader of forums and viewer of displayfireworks1 here. I'm located in central WV and received my type 54 license in January. Just tested for and passed my State licensing exam this week. Next step is to get State approval on my type 4 magazine. I've noticed several others posts from WV and curious if anyone else on the forums are State licensed with your own magazine? If so, I'd like to ask a few questions. The State requirments are definitely harder than the ATF's to meet.

PyroJoeNEPA
04-15-2021, 01:56 PM
Welcome to the FORUM.

displayfireworks1
04-15-2021, 07:45 PM
Thanks for following my fireworks videos and joining the forums. Be great if you add the State of West Virginia to your profile so it appears by your name on your post. That goes for everyone else also, adding your state and/or country gives credibility to your post and the forums, it also helps networking. Congratulations on getting your ATF fireworks license. It has been a few years but here is what I know about a fireworks magazine in the State of West Virginia. West Virginia is one of those states where the "Feds" ATF Inspectors approve your magazine first. Once the ATF approves the magazine for storage of 1.3 fireworks the State of West Virginia also approves it and charges a small annual fee. In my opinion, I wish all states handled explosive storage this way. While the license to own and possess is Federal, an explosive magazine is essentially a piece of real estate in broad terms. Years back I was communicating with an Inspector out of that Wheeling WV area satellite office that was eager to help advanced fireworks enthusiast become legal with storage. Without going into details on the forums, send me an PM with some details of you future plans and city location. I'm north of you in Pittsburgh Pa.
On a side note, this new forums member commented he was a long time reader of the forums before he joined. If you are out there reading the forums please consider joining as a member. Once you log into a member account , it allows you to view all the pictures and view documents posted throughout the forums. Before joining, please review the rules. Having trouble joining? Send me an email to pyrotalk@gmail.com and tell me something about you and fireworks.

Rick_In_Tampa
04-15-2021, 09:16 PM
Welcome aboard Okimarine! I assume your name implies you were in the Marines. If I'm correct, thank you for your service.

Okimarine
04-15-2021, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the welcomes.

Sent you a pm Dave.

Yes Rick and thanks, started using this nick when I was stationed in Okinawa.

Rick_In_Tampa
04-18-2021, 09:58 PM
I spent a few months on Okinawa back in 2004. Beautiful place. Love to go back.

Okimarine
04-18-2021, 10:19 PM
I agree, very beautiful. I spent alittle over 6 years there total leaving the last time at the end of 2012. I've already been to most of the tourist attractions but would still enjoy myself if I was to return. I enjoyed the culture and the food was mostly amazing. Were you there in the military?

Okimarine
04-18-2021, 10:31 PM
I see from your profile that you are retired Air Force. So you spent some time on Kadena then? My last deployment was a joint operations enviroment and is the only time i worked with Air Force.

Okimarine
05-01-2021, 09:31 AM
West Virginia is one of those states where the "Feds" ATF Inspectors approve your magazine first. Once the ATF approves the magazine for storage of 1.3 fireworks the State of West Virginia also approves it and charges a small annual fee.

It appears you were correct Dave. I submitted my magazine application week before last and recieved an invoice in the mail this past Wednesday ($40.00 application fee, $100.00 magazine permit fee). Both fees are annual just like the pyrotechnics license.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-02-2021, 03:57 PM
I see from your profile that you are retired Air Force. So you spent some time on Kadena then? My last deployment was a joint operations enviroment and is the only time i worked with Air Force.

I was assigned to the F-16 unit at Osan back in 2003-2004. We deployed to Kadena due to a runway closure and flew "red air" against the F-15's at Kadena for their ORI. Spent about 3 months there. It was amazing. I'm a huge WWII history buff so that made it even more special for me. I hit as many WWII tourist spots as I could.

displayfireworks1
05-02-2021, 08:59 PM
It appears you were correct Dave. I submitted my magazine application week before last and recieved an invoice in the mail this past Wednesday ($40.00 application fee, $100.00 magazine permit fee). Both fees are annual just like the pyrotechnics license.

West Virginia is smart to just follow what the ATF approves. What is funny in some other states, when the "State" dude comes to look at the magazine, they bring the Federal "Orange Book" with them.

Tgwinn
05-13-2021, 06:20 PM
Hello to all, long time reader of forums and viewer of displayfireworks1 here. I'm located in central WV and received my type 54 license in January. Just tested for and passed my State licensing exam this week. Next step is to get State approval on my type 4 magazine. I've noticed several others posts from WV and curious if anyone else on the forums are State licensed with your own magazine? If so, I'd like to ask a few questions. The State requirments are definitely harder than the ATF's to meet.

Where in wv are you located? I'm in Fairmont, started the process and it got put on hold. But would love to have a pyro friend close!!

Okimarine
05-13-2021, 09:25 PM
Where in wv are you located? I'm in Fairmont, started the process and it got put on hold. But would love to have a pyro friend close!!

I'm about an hour south of you on 79, off Flatwoods exit (exit 67). I have family near you (Clarksburg). How far along did you get before putting it on hold? I just finished getting everything legal with the State a week or so ago.

Tgwinn
05-16-2021, 08:41 AM
I had gotten all the paperwork filled out and ready to send. It just wasnt feasible for me with my work schedule. So I pulled the plug. Closest storage was 2.5 hours away. I'd have to travel to Pittsburgh area to do classes and get shots under my belt. Wouldnt work for me since I work Saturdays. I sent you a message with contact info

Okimarine
05-16-2021, 11:07 AM
Storage is the biggest problem with the ATF. If you have property its pretty easy to meet the requirements to setup your own magazine. The classes and experience would come into play for the WV State Fire Marshals office. If you haven't yet, I would visit the State fire marshals website and look at the applications for 1. Pyrotechnics license (outdoor), 2. Explosives permit, has the magazine application, 3. Display fireworks application for putting on a show. 4. Pyro technician-in-training for anyone that helps you on the show.

The ATF agent I worked with about 6 months ago was very helpful. I talked to him a few days ago to find out he was promoted to another job working with the FBI. I have his replacements name at home, will send you once I get back. I'm currently in Indiana, was at Casabellas demo last night.

I saw your pm, I don't do facebook. I will gladly answer any questions you have on here or by phone.

Tgwinn
05-18-2021, 12:30 AM
It's just not in the cards for me right now. I would love to get there one day, but just too much going on for me right now. But I would definitely give you a hand if you're doing a shoot close to the Fairmont area

Okimarine
05-18-2021, 01:06 PM
Thats understandable. Although the Federal portion is somewhat straightforward and inexpensive , the State requirements can seem overwhelming (and gets expensive). I won't be shooting in that area but I appreciate the offer. I got my License to go alittle bigger on a show I do at my Church's annual Youth Camp about 5 miles from my house and an annual family reunion.

Tgwinn
05-29-2021, 10:17 AM
Flatwoods isn't that far, if you ever need help just give me a call!