PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day Weekend fireworks

FinnAmerican
04-10-2021, 06:46 PM
~There's only 7 weeks until Memorial Day weekend...For those that plan on shooting then; have you gotten all your pyro products yet..? If so, tell us what items you have stashed away for the weekend...I hope to plan on trying out my Chinese firing system. I've put that on hold for long enough.

Jumping Shane
04-11-2021, 11:00 AM
My daughter and I share a birthday, and this year it just happens to fall on Memorial Day - an event that only happens every 5 to 8 years - so I will be lighting up our backyard for sure. I have so much product from so many trips to different stores - wholesale and retail - I have a lot of options. I'm still debating on buying a cheap firing system, which is something I've been putting off for too long. I'm going to need a mile of fuse this year, so I'm thinking I'd be insane to even try fusing it - but I also want to know what I'm doing before I have an audience. I can't shoot often where I live, so practicing would be kinda hard. It's been a dilemma. Whatever I choose to do though - they'll be the biggest shows I've ever done. I'm sitting on a stockpile I've only dreamed of having since I was a little kid, and I still have a trip or two planned before Summer. The only way of satisfying the itch of not being able to shoot is to buy more. Haha. So yeah, I'm counting the days.

Birdman
04-11-2021, 01:35 PM
I'll be testing some stuff I ordered for the 4th.

tmwjr
04-11-2021, 08:16 PM
I'm going to need a mile of fuse this year

Fuse is probably not going to exist this year. It's a perfect year to buy the cheap firing system and then realize that you shoulda bought a cobra or other nicer system.

Jumping Shane
04-12-2021, 02:02 AM
Fuse is probably not going to exist this year. It's a perfect year to buy the cheap firing system and then realize that you shoulda bought a cobra or other nicer system.

Well, fuse certainly exists where I'm at, and I'm already pretty stocked up on it. As far as buying a cheap firing system and realizing I should have bought a Cobra - that's kind of part of the dilemma I'm talking about. More money on equipment = less money on fireworks, and there is a vast gulf in price between a cheap system and a Cobra. And for me, it's never a good time to waste money on anything. I certainly want a Cobra, but that's a huge investment in time and money - for me, anyway. I'll get there eventually. And I have yet to see a store in my area that didn't have ample supplies of just about any kind of fuse you could desire - except perfect fuse.

Arles
04-12-2021, 04:32 PM
My daughter and I share a birthday, and this year it just happens to fall on Memorial Day - an event that only happens every 5 to 8 years - so I will be lighting up our backyard for sure. I have so much product from so many trips to different stores - wholesale and retail - I have a lot of options. I'm still debating on buying a cheap firing system, which is something I've been putting off for too long. I'm going to need a mile of fuse this year, so I'm thinking I'd be insane to even try fusing it - but I also want to know what I'm doing before I have an audience. I can't shoot often where I live, so practicing would be kinda hard. It's been a dilemma. Whatever I choose to do though - they'll be the biggest shows I've ever done. I'm sitting on a stockpile I've only dreamed of having since I was a little kid, and I still have a trip or two planned before Summer. The only way of satisfying the itch of not being able to shoot is to buy more. Haha. So yeah, I'm counting the days.

You can test a firing system without actually shooting the fireworks... you can attach the ignitors to a board and test anything out that you want. I was hand firing this time last year, but have now been through three shows using a Cobra that I keep adding components to and I can't imagine ever going back. I would save up for a Cobra. They typically have a Black Friday sale and offer a starter kit that can save you some money.

Kooooou
04-13-2021, 09:31 AM
Well, fuse certainly exists where I'm at, and I'm already pretty stocked up on it. As far as buying a cheap firing system and realizing I should have bought a Cobra - that's kind of part of the dilemma I'm talking about. More money on equipment = less money on fireworks, and there is a vast gulf in price between a cheap system and a Cobra. And for me, it's never a good time to waste money on anything. I certainly want a Cobra, but that's a huge investment in time and money - for me, anyway. I'll get there eventually. And I have yet to see a store in my area that didn't have ample supplies of just about any kind of fuse you could desire - except perfect fuse.
I've used the cheap chinese systems for over a decade and they've never failed me. Before that I used a cheap American-made system for over a decade too. Minus the e-match cost, I spent about $12 a year for 48 cues that worked flawlessly in every shoot. I finally bought a Cobra system this year but the chinese systems are still best for me when I want a quick wireless setup for a small or quick show. Got tons of fuse of all speeds here too, but I think it's only because I bought during the Black Friday deals last year.

FinnAmerican
05-04-2021, 05:16 PM
~Counting Down, 35 days until Memorial Day Weekend. Anyone else have pyro plans..?

jamisonlm3
05-04-2021, 08:34 PM
The cheap 12 cue systems are great little firing systems. You can easily do a 2-3 minute show with them. The nice thing about them is the fact you get the three modules. For someone that's just doing a backyard show for friends or family, they're hard to beat.

BMoore
05-05-2021, 09:27 AM
The cheap 12 cue systems are great little firing systems. You can easily do a 2-3 minute show with them. The nice thing about them is the fact you get the three modules. For someone that's just doing a backyard show for friends or family, they're hard to beat.

Agree! I moved on to Cobra several years ago but still break out my little Chinese system if I'm short on cues or have or need a separate module for a single item. One word of caution though. This has never happened to me, but apparently they have been known to ignite e-matches as soon as you power them on. Since they are designed to constantly test continuity that means voltage is continuously applied and obviously those systems don't have as advanced voltage regulators and safeguards as advanced systems. Also stuck buttons on the little remote can do it. Just make sure the area is clear and you are safely away from your product before powering them up.......something you should do when powering up any system actually.