PDA

View Full Version : Product ordering strategy

MontanaMike
03-17-2021, 05:54 PM
So I'm going over the new WFBoom price list and in a quandary what to do.

The discount structure is much different from previous years, and a massive amount of the product is marked "TBD" meaning they don't know when it will arrive.

I don't know whether it's smarter to order right now and get what they've got, or hold off for a while in hopes that some of the TBD items show up... what is your buying strategy for this year?

ssmith512
03-17-2021, 07:38 PM
Buy early and buy often.

MontanaMike
03-17-2021, 07:41 PM
Well.... I'm about 900 miles from any of the wholesale suppliers so "buy often" is not on the table. I gotta do it in one go, hence my question above.

Rick_In_Tampa
03-17-2021, 08:05 PM
The longer you wait, the fewer options you will have. Buy what they have in stock, and hope the supply chain gets better next year.

I normally don't order until the end of January and I don't take delivery until May.

This year I ordered in December and it was all sitting in my garage in January.

ssmith512
03-17-2021, 08:33 PM
Well.... I'm about 900 miles from any of the wholesale suppliers so "buy often" is not on the table. I gotta do it in one go, hence my question above.

Understood. I am not near any major wholesale suppliers either. I pulled the trigger as early as I could this year. I placed my wholesale order January 13 of this year and took delivery on January 19. This year will be very interesting to say the least with regard to availability and price. My local Phantom's shelves are basically empty and have been since early December.

jamisonlm3
03-17-2021, 08:42 PM
With my last order, I wasn't able to get everyting I wanted. I was actually lucky to get what I did since about 80-90% of their product was sold out. I don't think waiting is going to help you either. At least don't wait too long. What product they do have will likely start to depleat as we get closer to the 4th. New product will still be very slow in coming. If you haven't already, look at other wholesalers and see what they currently have in stock. They may have more of what you're looking for.

Birdman
03-17-2021, 09:34 PM
It's a roll of the dice but if you can live with what you can get today then get it. Otherwise your taking a chance you may not get anything you want. Just the way it seems to be this year.

Berserker23
03-17-2021, 11:37 PM
Order as soon as possible it’s going to be a crazy year for fireworks people will miss out on fireworks this year if they wait until May June and July. My firework store let me buy wholesale this year he said he’s doing it for one more person and that’s it and he’s doing retail.

WithReport
03-18-2021, 10:57 AM
Order as soon as possible ...l.

This is good advice for any year. The first year I tried a scripted pyromusical I had ordered a few cases of mixed single shots - I was new to all of it. I ordered late. Product was expected to arrive the week before the show - half of it disappeared in transit. All individual cases were scanned onto the local FedEx Ground contractor's truck, but half of them were never scanned off ?????

Wholesale Fireworks
03-19-2021, 11:24 AM
Our professional suggestion is this......Order as early as possible from wherever you can get product. If you wait you will be left out. The entire domestic fireworks industry is experiencing shortages and late arrivals. Try something new. If a supplier does not have your favorite item or has to limit the quantity you can have....try something new. The only person who knows any different is you. Your spectators are not going to write you angry emails after the show because you did not have a 21 shot item with a specific effect that lasted for 28 seconds in the 18th minute of your show. And keep in mind...we do feel your pain when you cannot get the 20 cases of items you want. But remember, the company you are buying from cannot get 20,000 cases they NEED.
Thank you all for your patience and support

PyroJoeNEPA
03-19-2021, 05:29 PM
That is EXCELLENT advice from Ray! He knows what is happening [or not happening] with the product flow from China.
And, like others have said above, Get what you can while you can get it.

Scotty Rockets
03-19-2021, 06:43 PM
We all knew this was going to happen. I know a few of us planned ahead especially in the 1.4pro realm. This is truly “the ant and the grasshopper” story. There are 2 problems, 1 product availability and 2 the highest price increase we have ever witnessed. Several wholesalers will not take any new buyers and some are cutting off the small buyer all together. Early and often is what I have heard numerous times not only here, so make your plan and purchase quickly or you may be left out all together.

jamisonlm3
03-20-2021, 11:39 AM
I got an email today from a wholesaler. They remain hopeful the supply issues will be resolved soon. They aren't actually taking any orders currently because of the situation. Because it's so bad, they're only focusing on their current long time customers. They don't know how much product they will have available for the 4th or when it will arrive. They also say those that are able to order with them should not be surprised of they aren't able to fulfill their complete order.

Rocketshooter
03-25-2021, 11:01 AM
I ordered the bulk of my 2021 show in January and while everything I wanted was not available, most of it still was. Supplies will soon dry up as stores are going to protect inventory for their retail sales as that is where the real money is made. Everything is a crap shoot right now as to whether it will make it in before the 4th.

Rick_In_Tampa
03-25-2021, 06:29 PM
A cake in hand is worth a case on the ship!