PDA

View Full Version : Type 54 complete

LRF1
03-08-2021, 11:34 PM
Hey guys,

I just wanted to share my journey to getting my type 54 license with you and hope it helps the next person in line. I found and joined the pyrotalk forum on 7-7-20, after spending many nights reading post after post. I caught the bug to pursue getting my type 54. I ordered Dave's DVD packet, filled it out just like he explained. The only deference was I put down my own magazine that I had in my shop out back, because I couldn't find contingency storage where I live in Mississippi. On 9-21-2020 I sent it off in the mail. 9-29-2020 I get a call from a lady with ATF from WV, she said that I was so excited to send off my papers that I forgot to attach the 2x2 photo that is still sitting on my desk today! My bad, she let me take a pic with my phone and send it to her. 10-1-2020 I get a call from the investigator , let's just say here's where it all started going down hill for me. I was informed that I would have to go before a public hearing to get approval from my county because this was a business license! I kindly informed the investigator that it was for private use, on private property. Now where I had the magazine was in a separate shop that sits about 100 ft from my residence, just a small job box that would only hold 50lbs of explosives. I was completely fine with that. After months went by and everybody getting on the same page, it came down to where the investigator and I could not work out a time to meet to do the inspection. He also worked two jobs and our timetable was just not fitting in to the 90 day window that was ending on 12-26-2020. He ask me to withdraw the application, and reapply in January. The whole deal with the stalling of the process was they just did not like that it was in a "residential neighborhood ", 1 to 2 acre lots. I was still within the guidelines of the orange book, but I had other options. I moved the magazine to some property that I have across the street, this would make it an outdoor magazine. Reapplied on 1-5-2021, payment processed on 1-8-2021, investigator came out on 1-19-2021, put a sticker in it and rated it for 10,000 lbs. Now I have to go build a bigger box! Lol. Today license came in the mail. For anyone wanting there 54, I would highly recommend getting Dave's DVD. I did not explain everything that was thrown at me in this process but I did not let it stop me. Thanks again Dave for all your help.

Rusty

Arclight
03-09-2021, 12:04 AM
Hey guys,
investigator came out on 1-19-2021, put a sticker in it and rated it for 10,000 lbs. Now I have to go build a bigger box! Lol. Today license came in the mail. For anyone wanting there 54, I would highly recommend getting Dave's DVD. I did not explain everything that was thrown at me in this process but I did not let it stop me. Thanks again Dave for all your help.
Rusty

Now we're talking. An outdoor magazine is totally worth the additional hassle.

Arclight
03-09-2021, 12:19 AM
Hey guys,
investigator came out on 1-19-2021, put a sticker in it and rated it for 10,000 lbs. Now I have to go build a bigger box! Lol. Today license came in the mail. For anyone wanting there 54, I would highly recommend getting Dave's DVD. I did not explain everything that was thrown at me in this process but I did not let it stop me. Thanks again Dave for all your help.
Rusty

Now we're talking. An outdoor magazine is totally worth the additional hassle.

LRF1
03-09-2021, 11:46 PM
Here are some pics of where I was going to put the magazine and where it is now. For anyone that is thinking about putting a job box in there shop, it is frowned upon but can be done. In my case, I just happen to have other options that allowed me to move it, and ended up in my favor. Also I forgot to mention that I make #10 in the state of Mississippi, If I can help anyone with yours, shoot me a pm. Glad to help.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5617&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5618&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5619&stc=1

fatcat
03-10-2021, 11:20 AM
Congratulations on getting the 54. I am sure you will enjoy it.

displayfireworks1
03-10-2021, 05:36 PM
For the record when it happened I told him not to voluntarily withdraw the application. But it worked out anyway. That box should have been in that out building as originally planned. The good news the advanced pyro hobbyists movement in that southern area just got a little stronger. I bet if the ATF Pennsylvania guys reviewed this all they would be like , what the hell. It is interesting to see what the ATF does in low license states