PDA

View Full Version : Comet Help

gecko2015
02-28-2021, 07:54 PM
Could someone help me understand the performance differences between comet sizes? For example, if I wanted comets to display in a particular part of my show some of my options are:

Comet - 1.5"
Comet - 30mm
Comet - 35mm
Comet - 50mm

I could obviously assume the larger the diameter the more powerful, but because their videos often look very similar; is there really that much of a difference between them? Do the larger ones go higher? Are they louder on ignition? Are they brighter or have more effect? What's the deal with the odd-ball 1.5inch vs the others that are sized in mm?

Anyone who has experience with these, any information in helping me understand the differences would be greatly appreciated.

displayfireworks1
02-28-2021, 08:33 PM
We want it help you along. Correct if I missed something. It appears you are working with one of the smaller import systems. What types of displays are you currently doing? Are you planning something or just trying to become more knowledgeable about advanced pyrotechnics in general? Please what state you are from in your profile so it displays on your post.

gecko2015
02-28-2021, 08:41 PM
We want it help you along. Correct if I missed something. It appears you are working with one of the smaller import systems. What types of displays are you currently doing? Are you planning something or just trying to become more knowledgeable about advanced pyrotechnics in general? Please what state you are from in your profile so it displays on your post.

This will be my 2nd pyromusical. I've got a Cobra and 72m, but I'm new to purchasing 1.4 pro comets and I would just like a better understanding of their performance between the different size options that Dominator and Spirit of 76 offers (as their demonstration videos are very difficult to tell much difference between them).

I'm here down in middle, GA

displayfireworks1
02-28-2021, 09:20 PM
Thanks for adding your location to your profile. Both Spirit of 76 and Dominator and Cobra are sponsor's of pyrotalk.com so that is great, thank you for purchasing their products. Let start with the basics of a fireworks setup. Tell us about your shoot site , clearance between the audience and the display, fall out area etc. What if any method are using to stabilize the Article of Pyrotechnics. We don't know your experience level, understanding product performance is important for sure. So is having the proper equipment and stabilization using AP products. The reason these pre-requisites are important is , while you are in this new phase of advanced pyrotechnics, clearance is your friend.
On a side note, I am trying to add on more ADVANCED fireworks enthusiast the southern region of United States. glad to have more southern US members on pyrotalk. .

gecko2015
02-28-2021, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the help Dave. I can understand the need of some prerequisites.

Here's some info to hopefully help. This will be my wife and I's 4th year putting on a show for friends and family for July 4th. Our first year was just hand lighting consumer fireworks. Our 2nd year consisted of a continuous 15min fuse line of various timings from Cannonfuse.com in correspondence with the run-time of the cakes. Last year, was a manual pyromusical using an import firing system of 70 cues that required pressing a firing cue once the song hit the mark-point on the laptop. This year will be an automated pyromusical with Cobra and their Cobra Show creator using product from American Wholesale with their 1.4 pro items (and regular consumer) with the Pyro certificate from your program.

Each year consists of approx. $1000-$2000 of product ranging from small effects (like strobes, comets, mines, etc.) to 500g repeaters - all 1.4 stuff though. Our shoot site is 3 stations (left, center, and right) approx. 50ft apart in my yard which is 5 acre field. The audience will be 230 feet from the shoot site. The comets and mines will be secured in 3x 40 shot effect holder from Big Time Pyro (https://www.bigtimepyro.com/mortar-tube-racks/40-shot-bare-single-shot-rack). Per the site (and emailing the company) it can hold effects ranging from 3/4" to 3" diameter effect tubes. Clearance will be no issue, for the land we live on used to be a cow pasture many years ago (i.e no trees or obstructions around).

There are some parts in my song choices where I don't want the biggest and greatest "thump" or effect of a comet/mine. But there's other parts I do. I just want to understand the difference between a 1.5" comet and the 30mm, 35mm, 40mm, etc. to ensure I have an understanding of function and performance for my show and what I'm purchasing. Thus, I don't want to assume that just because the effect tube is smaller in diameter that it correlates to smaller effect and vice versa.

specialfxpyro
02-28-2021, 10:37 PM
Could someone help me understand the performance differences between comet sizes? For example, if I wanted comets to display in a particular part of my show some of my options are:

Comet - 1.5"
Comet - 30mm
Comet - 35mm
Comet - 50mm

I could obviously assume the larger the diameter the more powerful, but because their videos often look very similar; is there really that much of a difference between them? Do the larger ones go higher? Are they louder on ignition? Are they brighter or have more effect? What's the deal with the odd-ball 1.5inch vs the others that are sized in mm?

Yes there is a difference between them.
Yes the larger ones go higher (normally)
Yes larger comets are usually louder because they have a bigger lift charge
Yes larger comets are usually brighter and have more effect

As far as sizes 1.5" is approx. 38mm.

30mm, 35mm and 38mm (1.5") comets normally will go 100' to 200' high. 50mm comets will go 200' to 300' high.

PyroJoeNEPA
03-01-2021, 11:43 AM
Larger comets will go higher and will have a longer "burn time" than a smaller device so you can script your effects accordingly.
The 1.5" comet is 37.5mm.
You might also want to look into "meteors"....the comet has a trailing tail of sparks, the meteor does not [sort of like a ball coming out of a roman candle. Just a different effect that is available in the pyro tool bag.
Another thing you may want to look at is the 13 shot "slice cakes" for effects.. These are usually set up for an "all at once" or sweep firing effect. Many of them have a "mine to comet" effect that you might not see in an individual one shot--so you might want to use single tubes from a slice cake for specific effects.

specialfxpyro
03-01-2021, 10:40 PM
https://online-calculator.org/38.1-mm-to-inches

38.1mm =1.5"

Scotty Rockets
03-04-2021, 07:47 AM
35mm 38mm and 40mm they’re all pretty much the same performance just pick the effect you want. Someone already did the math for you on the 1.5”. Those racks by the way are PITA plus you have to assemble them ground up they come in a box of individual parts, I think IKEA makes them jk LOL. I would prefer pyrolamas which I use or the Craigco style of racks.