PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana man arrested for fireworks materials

FinnAmerican
02-23-2021, 08:00 PM
Louisiana man accused of possessing explosive materials to make fireworks, arrested

https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/article_3e498424-755e-11eb-a292-bfc5751e610e.html

Rick_In_Tampa
02-23-2021, 09:58 PM
Sounds like another future Darwin award winner.

specialfxpyro
02-23-2021, 11:11 PM
KNO3/Al/S flash = Dangerous stuff Probably a good thing he got caught before he killed himself or someone else. I doubt at 18 yrs. old he had a clue how dangerous it was to screen those chemicals.

Pretty clear he was making M80 type devices based on the picture

displayfireworks1
02-26-2021, 06:25 AM
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5576&stc=1
Here is our boy here.

PyroJoeNEPA
02-26-2021, 10:10 AM
Who would know what was being delivered to him? Either the vendor [not likely] or delivery company---Sounds like UPS ratted him out------??????

ssmith512
02-26-2021, 10:54 AM
Who would know what was being delivered to him? Either the vendor [not likely] or delivery company---Sounds like UPS ratted him out------??????

If it was UPS, at least we now know UPS can do something right. LOL!

Mattp
03-03-2021, 11:59 AM
sounds like he was lighting them at a safe distance from people.. which is good.. but doesn't a levee hold back LOTS of water??.. lots of factors to the legality(all of which i have no clue),, and it is still a big deal.. but to me, sounds like his biggest offense there is selling them..

PyroJoeNEPA
03-03-2021, 07:31 PM
but to me, sounds like his biggest offense there is selling them..

This could go sideways on him very quickly depending on what "alphabet group" gets involved. DHS [homeland security] classifies m-80s and other flash based "devices" as "weapons of mass destruction"---he could get it with manufacturing fireworks without a license [type 20], illegal sales & distribution, illegal storage, reckless endangering---etc. 18 years old is way too young to have your life ruined forever.

displayfireworks1
03-03-2021, 08:02 PM
This is a fun Facebook read. Read the comments on the news channel Facebook involving this young man. It wouldn't be news if they said he was just making big firecrackers. Sounds better as Explosive Material. There are no secrets any longer with the internet. It cost me $5.00 back in the early 80's to get the recipe to make M-80's. I posted that somewhere here on the forums. Now someone that has the desire can just type it in a search and go from there. Here is the Facebook post. I think his real mistake was selling them.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=77990746986&story_fbid=10157615478796987

Rick_In_Tampa
03-03-2021, 09:54 PM
Back in the 70's I was buying M-80's for $0.25 a piece. Life was good.

esgrillo
03-04-2021, 10:26 PM
holy crap I read that FB post. People are idiots and so are the ones that wrote that article. They intentionally made him sound like he was planning on blowing up an FBI bldg or something like that especially with the title of the article. Ridiculous. This is another reason to get a 54. I'm not saying to make something illegal but it does provide a layer of protection because at least you are federally licensed to store and use. He would have been labeled as illegally selling fireworks instead of a terrorist which is how it was presented.

jamisonlm3
03-05-2021, 04:46 AM
Are you really surprised the news would misrepresent someone in order mislead the public to garner more views?

esgrillo
03-05-2021, 08:43 AM
Are you really surprised the news would misrepresent someone in order mislead the public to garner more views?

Hell no lol... happens all the time. For example TX is in the news a bit recently and all the headlines are BS with that too lmao

RalphieJ
03-05-2021, 10:41 PM

I recall a local news article during the mid '80's a few days before the 4th that stated a guy was arrested with $5,000 worth of fireworks in his station wagon. I laughed out loud when I read it, because just a week or two before when I tried to stuff $1500 into my station wagon, I had to make a second trip. I think the police involved set the dollar amount, it makes the bust seem more crucial.

specialfxpyro
03-07-2021, 01:05 AM

No but I am surprised that someone would suggest having a type 54 USERS permit would make a difference to someone charged with manufacturing and possibly sales of illegal explosives.

esgrillo
03-07-2021, 01:44 AM
No but I am surprised that someone would suggest having a type 54 USERS permit would make a difference to someone charged with manufacturing and possibly sales of illegal explosives.

Good lord, listen, I am not going to get in to an online debate on every scenario that could have been discussed with the interaction because we don't know all the details and I am NOT supporting selling or producing anything illegal AND what he did is incredibly dumb but I can assure you I could have come up with plenty of verbiage to at least not be labeled a terrorist in that situation. That is what I said.