PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks and Home Owners Association (HOA)

Unknown
02-22-2021, 07:02 PM
Hello Pyros and others,

My growing family and I are moving into a larger house in a few months unfortunately they have an HOA, and furthermore, fireworks are prohibited (unless approved by HOA in relations to an event) Very Sad... I have been putting on a neighborhood 4th of July firework show the past three years and next one nearly ready to go. I understand my challenges here. I can either seek approval from my HOA in hopes they support my 4th of July display or move my show to friends/family house. But what I want to know is your experience in regards to HOA and Fireworks... good, bad and the ugly. Let me know, maybe I can learn and apply to my situation.

I've seen in some post that folks are able to work with their HOA to put on a display. That's what I would like to accomplish with my HOA, what tips to you have for me? Thanks for your input and sharing your experiences.

PyroFL
02-23-2021, 08:30 AM
Joel your in luck I just went through all of this with our HOA. I’ll try not to write a book here.

My circumstances is a little bit different than yours as fireworks were not prohibited they just have a noise ordinance at 10 PM.

For the last three years we have hosted a fireworks display mostly for us but we did let other neighbors know what we were doing to build a crowd up and to get people interested. (The key was to invite board members too)

This year we approach the board and the planning committee and here was our angle and how we sold the idea to the board which now is chipping in $1,500.

- First safety
- 2nd safety
- I offered to get a $1M Umbrella insurance
- Supplied my training I had done
- Family friendly event for everyone
- Told them about local firework clubs I was joining
- Showed them my professional firing equipment (Cobra)
- Last safety

This open the door to my wife and I hosting a meeting/BBQ to plan the day long event. The main focus was “Family Event” which includes:

- Bouncy houses
- Corn hole tournament
- Kids races
- Egg toss
- Sack races
- Food and ice cream trucks
- And closing with the firework show

Next I opened a separate bank account and started a go fund me account for people to donate to and we’re also raffling off baskets of goods to raise money for the event.

Be ready to answer some tough questions that you should practice in your head and have answers for. Such as:

- people that will have problems with fireworks because of their animals
- VETS that have issues with loud noises
- It’s not safe
- What happens if my house burns down or gets damaged because you messed up or something goes wrong
- You’re a professional and they don’t need a professional show (why we only use 1.4 that anyone can by down the street ... this one you’ll have to explain a few times and what the differences between 1.3 and 1.4 and anyone can buy what your using you’re just using it in a professional safe manner)

Here is a link to my go fund me account that you can read over and borrow and use whatever you like.

Also feel free to contact me privately and I can give you my phone number for more in-depth conversation.

https://gofund.me/2a1dc6ac

PS if anyone would like to donate to my habit please feel free to do so I’ll be sure to send you a link to the show on YouTube ... LOL ... $100’s always work the best

Charles

specialfxpyro
02-23-2021, 11:18 PM
Like all HOA rules it depends on the board members of your individual HOA. Others experiences will offer little insight to what a particular HOA will say.

Like Charles says put together a proposal and don't expect the HOA board members to know anything about fireworks.

You can always go back to the old neighborhood if they say no, right?

hatsgoods
02-24-2021, 08:23 AM
I'm going to say is he made a mistake going to a HOA. I guarantee you'll become miserable because they are all about the money and controlling you and you will not have any freedom so I hope that they're understanding not try to be controlling cuz that's what all them are about. Best of luck cuz you threw you American freedom away.

Arles
02-24-2021, 08:32 AM
I don't know how far you're willing to take this, but if it were me, and assuming there is a suitable place in the association to put on a show, I would get your ATF license and PGI certification (and even the 1.4 Pro certificate from here... it's just one more credential to show and they don't know what any of it means anyway) and try to work a few events, even if you're only setting off 1.4. The general public holds firework professionals in high regard. Every year, every news story you see or read always says "Let the professionals handle the fireworks" Going to the HOA as a licensed professional will give them a level of comfort that you're not some clown setting mortars off from your head. Show them the Cobra systems, especially the tablet command center. Even if the HOA ultimately says no, it will still be great experience.

Salutecake
02-24-2021, 08:44 AM
Hi Unknown,

Good advice from both above. So here is my 2 cents. I believe most people like fireworks -- on the 4th and possibly other special occasions and having a specific time frame. Sunday morning at 2 am and Wednesday at 11 at night. NO.

Part 2, try to convince the HOA to make this a community or family event for everyone, not just your event. I don't know if you plan on putting the show on at your own expense but a go fund me is great, and it can offer you a glimpse at what type of support you have in the community (if any), but also, if donations come in, then you're getting the support for such a community activity behind you. Check with your neighbors, see how they feel, that might give you an indication of how the rest of the community feels about fireworks.

Last, I know there are many types of HOA and for different reasons, but the general idea of HOA's is to promote the well being of the community. Family or community party days on the
Fourth of July culminating with a fireworks show at night? I'm in, lol. The other part is that you have past experience and will do all the work.

Rick_In_Tampa
02-24-2021, 06:27 PM
Ahh yes. HOA's. I think I'd rather get a root canal and a colon exam AT THE SAME TIME than live in an HOA again.

That said...

I live in an HOA and I've been doing shows for years. Without their approval. Fireworks only became legal in Florida last year. So technically, I've been shooting illegally for years. How did I get around the HOA? Well, I was the HOA president for 10 years. So I know the rules. I know the laws. I know that (generally speaking) HOA rules do not trump state statutes. For example most HOA rules in Florida require you to have St Augustine grass. Florida statute 2080 says you can "zero-scape" your yard, and if the HOA does not come up with an approved zero-scape plan, you can basically do whatever you want and there's nothing they can do about it.

As for the fireworks... I use our HOA retention pond as my shoot site. I looked up the county platt diagram for our HOA and it shows that the HOA is responsible for maintaining the retention pond, but it is not platted as "community property." Most (if not all) HOA documents dictate what you can or can't do on your property and "community property." Since the retention pond is neither, my HOA cannot tell me what I can or can't do on it.

So my advice to you would be to look up your state and county laws. If fireworks are legal in your state/county, IMHO the HOA cannot tell you that you cannot use them on July 4th. If you have a retention pond, find out who owns it. Find out how it's classified. If it's not community property, you should be good to go too!

If you HAVE to talk to the HOA, advise them that almost all HOA insurance plans are "exclusionary" by design. So if your HOA's insurance plan does not specifically exclude coverage for fireworks damage, then they (and you) would be covered by that policy. So if they're concerned with getting sued, you can leverage that. Just a thought.

Disclaimer: These are just my opinions, not legal advice! I am not a lawyer!!

Unknown
02-25-2021, 08:07 PM
First, I'm deeply grateful for your guidance and sharing your past experience. These suggestions and practices you've shared has given me direction and solid footing in approaching the situation. Just some added info, I live in TN and outside city limits where there are limited laws. HOA is managed by Ghertner & company (not sure if that means anything to anyone). For this year I'll work on building relations with my neighbors and get to know the board members to get a feel. I am currently not part of any clubs, own a cobra or AFT certified but I am interested in all. The neighborhood does have a few detention ponds and utility owned field for the STEP system (again, we our outside city limits) that could make for a good launch site.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5574&stc=1

Again, thank you all for the feedback!

displayfireworks1
02-25-2021, 08:26 PM
Joel your in luck I just went through all of this with our HOA. I’ll try not to write a book here.

My circumstances is a little bit different than yours as fireworks were not prohibited they just have a noise ordinance at 10 PM.

For the last three years we have hosted a fireworks display mostly for us but we did let other neighbors know what we were doing to build a crowd up and to get people interested. (The key was to invite board members too)

This year we approach the board and the planning committee and here was our angle and how we sold the idea to the board which now is chipping in $1,500.

- First safety
- 2nd safety
- I offered to get a $1M Umbrella insurance
- Supplied my training I had done
- Family friendly event for everyone
- Told them about local firework clubs I was joining
- Showed them my professional firing equipment (Cobra)
- Last safety

This open the door to my wife and I hosting a meeting/BBQ to plan the day long event. The main focus was “Family Event” which includes:

- Bouncy houses
- Corn hole tournament
- Kids races
- Egg toss
- Sack races
- Food and ice cream trucks
- And closing with the firework show

Next I opened a separate bank account and started a go fund me account for people to donate to and we’re also raffling off baskets of goods to raise money for the event.

Be ready to answer some tough questions that you should practice in your head and have answers for. Such as:

- people that will have problems with fireworks because of their animals
- VETS that have issues with loud noises
- It’s not safe
- What happens if my house burns down or gets damaged because you messed up or something goes wrong
- You’re a professional and they don’t need a professional show (why we only use 1.4 that anyone can by down the street ... this one you’ll have to explain a few times and what the differences between 1.3 and 1.4 and anyone can buy what your using you’re just using it in a professional safe manner)

Here is a link to my go fund me account that you can read over and borrow and use whatever you like.

Also feel free to contact me privately and I can give you my phone number for more in-depth conversation.

https://gofund.me/2a1dc6ac

PS if anyone would like to donate to my habit please feel free to do so I’ll be sure to send you a link to the show on YouTube ... LOL ... $100’s always work the best

Charles

I just reading some of this on the surface. That impressive you are finding a way to pull that off. I actually get this sort of question frequently over the years.

PyroFL
02-26-2021, 05:22 PM
I just reading some of this on the surface. That impressive you are finding a way to pull that off. I actually get this sort of question frequently over the years.

Dave

The BIG key to all of it is “Family Event to bring the Community together”

Our family for the most part is only focused on the fireworks but we believe if we just went in with fireworks only it was a yes or no answer, if we went in with a big community event to bring us all together for the day with topping off with a firework show how could they say they don’t wish to do things for the kids and the Community.

This also was very fruitful for other events now, there doing a Easter egg hunt, fall event and a Christmas event ... all from just asking if we could do fireworks aka family 4th event

Salutecake
02-27-2021, 09:03 AM
Agreed PyroFl! Even if you have a stubborn HOA committee, the community could put some pressure on them to help change their opinion, if you can get the community support.

Kman
03-07-2021, 12:19 AM
It's almost like you have to beg to let them shoot your fireworks.

specialfxpyro
03-07-2021, 12:55 AM
It's almost like you have to beg to let them shoot your fireworks.

And pay dues for the privilege of having others tell you what you can and can not do on your own property.

PyroFL
06-11-2021, 09:25 AM
Joel,

Looking to see how it went with your HOA board?

For a little inspiration this is what I have pulled off for this year. Money is still coming in and we’re raffling off 20 donated baskets to raise more money. In my gofundme account plus cash and checks I’ve gotten, am a little over $6400 and expect another $1200-1500 to come in on or before the fourth.

It can be done Joel!!

Let me know how yours is going

Best part of all this is all of this was FREE ... didn’t cost me a dime

Photo doesn’t include all the mortars, comets and mines http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5762&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5762&stc=1

ssmith512
06-11-2021, 11:53 AM
Joel,

Looking to see how it went with your HOA board?

For a little inspiration this is what I have pulled off for this year. Money is still coming in and we’re raffling off 20 donated baskets to raise more money. In my gofundme account plus cash and checks I’ve gotten, am a little over $6400 and expect another $1200-1500 to come in on or before the fourth.

It can be done Joel!!

Let me know how yours is going

Best part of all this is all of this was FREE ... didn’t cost me a dime

Photo doesn’t include all the mortars, comets and mines http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5762&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5762&stc=1

I hate you! LOL! We started our HOA "fireworks fund raiser" 2 weeks ago. We have collected a grand total of $825 so far. We clearly are not worthy!! LOL!

PyroFL
06-11-2021, 12:50 PM
If you got $825 in 2 weeks your ahead of me when I started

That?s a GREAT start and $825 less out of your pocket!!

I started back in January posting on Facebook and NextDoor.

After a month of almost nothing one simple post got the ball rolling big time.

I posted, am getting a lot of emails ask why now when the fourth is 6 months away. My answer was everyone likes to save money and to get the early bird special and save more then 25% we had to put in and order right away.

Worked great, after that I made monthly updates of everything going on.

I have also organized a full day of events that I was keeping everyone up to date with, including Survey questions to get people involved more.

We turned our firework show into a all day family event and now a lot of people are stepping up and opening there wallets