PDA

View Full Version : Safe and Sane

FinnAmerican
02-18-2021, 03:04 PM
Hypothetically speaking: If your state chose to restrict all forms of Consumer fireworks; except for "Safe & Sane". Do you think you could adapt...? I believe that I could...as I love large fountains, crackling Magic Whips, Adult red snaps and smoke devices. All I need is the crackling effects and I'm happy. But, would deeply miss the "big stuff". Packing up and moving to an all legal state would be difficult choice.
And a question for those who live in a S&S state: Have you grown to enjoy the limits of pyrotechnics. Or do you add the "big stuff" anyway to your shoot..?

Arclight
02-18-2021, 03:52 PM
Here in California, everyone buys some safe and sane to support the Lions Club or youth sports. And then they set off cakes and mortars they bought in Nevada for about 2 weeks before and after July 4th. YOLO

Rick_In_Tampa
02-18-2021, 05:47 PM
Last year was the very first year I shot legally in Florida since we moved here in 1996. It never slowed me down before, and it certainly won't slow me down now!

BMoore
02-18-2021, 06:39 PM
Adapt at this point? Probably not, but I would like to try to do an all S&S show. As a kid all I could have was S&S at our annual July 4th picnic. I think I was a teenager before I got my hands on any larger 1.4. So what started out as all S&S grew and grew to become my 1.3 extravaganza with hundreds of guests that it is today. I keep saying that one year I'm going to go retro. Still a big show but a reminder of the past how it all started. I think with enough product and electronic firing you could do some neat stuff with S&S. I've just not been brave enough to try it yet!

Greenville Pyro
02-18-2021, 06:51 PM
Adapt at this point? Probably not, but I would like to try to do an all S&S show. As a kid all I could have was S&S at our annual July 4th picnic. I think I was a teenager before I got my hands on any larger 1.4. So what started out as all S&S grew and grew to become my 1.3 extravaganza with hundreds of guests that it is today. I keep saying that one year I'm going to go retro. Still a big show but a reminder of the past how it all started. I think with enough product and electronic firing you could do some neat stuff with S&S. I've just not been brave enough to try it yet!

Sounds like a NYE one board next year!

jamisonlm3
02-18-2021, 07:07 PM
Even if my state did ban everything expect for the s&s stuff, it wouldn't make a difference. Look how well those bans worked in california and hawaii. I'd wager that banning stuff would actually make more people want to buy fireworks. Isn't that usually how it is? Either way, I'd probably just go out of state to get what I wanted.

Icooclast
02-18-2021, 08:47 PM
around holidays here, cops don't care as long as it's not late/early and you're being responsible. so, they only stop people once it gets to be about midnight or they get too many people calling to complain as far as i know "the big stuff" in 1.4 is legal to do anything but actually light it. so, yeah. makes no sense, but i am not up to date on my info.

upNdown
02-19-2021, 03:47 PM
In my state, there isn't even any "safe and sane" allowed - even sparklers are illegal.
And by the way, I don't think that's a bad thing. I've been burned by sparklers enough times that I won't even hold one anymore. I've never been burned by a 500g cake or a 60g shell. And fountains seem pretty dangerous to me too.
So, no, I'd never buy that safe and sane stuff. I'm pretty sure I operate pretty safely and sanely with the arial stuff that I choose.

DavidthePyro
02-19-2021, 04:19 PM
around holidays here, cops don't care as long as it's not late/early and you're being responsible. so, they only stop people once it gets to be about midnight or they get too many people calling to complain as far as i know "the big stuff" in 1.4 is legal to do anything but actually light it. so, yeah. makes no sense, but i am not up to date on my info.

What part of Ohio? My location is obvious, haha, im 10 minutes from AWF in Hudson. Here in Stow we have a unique distinction-- we've got one of the best Fire Departments in the country(Class 1) so I have always gone the extra mile for safety-- I try to keep things small, quick and respectful. But my main shoot site is in amish Country(may or may not be in Ohio) and is on hundreds of acres. I could have a 1/4 mile wide display with plenty of clearance in all directions. The entire property is a square mile. The legal to purchase/illegal to discharge is a weird one for sure, but there's some advantages to it until comprehensive legislation comes along--that last bill that died in chamber after 75% progression had some really unfavorable substance to it.

Pgdark19
02-19-2021, 04:50 PM
my adaptation would probably be to not host a big show anymore. But no way would I not have non S&S for personal use... ;)

jamisonlm3
02-19-2021, 06:30 PM
And fountains seem pretty dangerous to me too.This is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that about fountains. Do fountains have enough power in them to dart around on the ground if they tip over? Beyond that, they don't explode or shoot anything that does.

specialfxpyro
02-19-2021, 07:50 PM
This is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that about fountains. Do fountains have enough power in them to dart around on the ground if they tip over? Beyond that, they don't explode or shoot anything that does.

Almost as strange as saying you live in a state where everything is illegal, then seemingly agreeing it should be. But shooting canisters and 500 gram cakes in an illegal state because you believe they are safer. WTF? Also I can't help but wonder how you end up burning yourself with a sparkler more than once.

Anyway, shooting S&S for my grandchildren is one of my greatest pyro joys in life. Shooting for display companies satisfies my desire to shoot the big stuff living in a S&S only state. My friends and family have sat at the shooters table with me for dozens of big professional 1.3 pyromusicals. On occasion and with the AHJ's permission my grandkids have even pushed the button to start one of the shows.

Icooclast
02-20-2021, 07:28 PM
What part of Ohio? My location is obvious, haha, im 10 minutes from AWF in Hudson. Here in Stow we have a unique distinction-- we've got one of the best Fire Departments in the country(Class 1) so I have always gone the extra mile for safety-- I try to keep things small, quick and respectful. But my main shoot site is in amish Country(may or may not be in Ohio) and is on hundreds of acres. I could have a 1/4 mile wide display with plenty of clearance in all directions. The entire property is a square mile. The legal to purchase/illegal to discharge is a weird one for sure, but there's some advantages to it until comprehensive legislation comes along--that last bill that died in chamber after 75% progression had some really unfavorable substance to it.

i'm pretty much in the middle of the eastern line of Ohio, right along the river, on the boarder between OH, and W. VA in fact; keep going and you could be in Pittsburgh, PA in 45 min - 1hr.i am about 25 min. or so from Steubenville, OH

Black Cat
02-20-2021, 11:37 PM
Hypothetically speaking: If your state chose to restrict all forms of Consumer fireworks; except for "Safe & Sane". Do you think you could adapt...? I believe that I could...as I love large fountains, crackling Magic Whips, Adult red snaps and smoke devices. All I need is the crackling effects and I'm happy. But, would deeply miss the "big stuff". Packing up and moving to an all legal state would be difficult choice.
And a question for those who live in a S&S state: Have you grown to enjoy the limits of pyrotechnics. Or do you add the "big stuff" anyway to your shoot..?
You can have a lot of fun with safe/sane but if you crave the big stuff, rent a vacation home for a weekend in a "Legal State".

Jumping Shane
02-21-2021, 03:44 PM

You're not too far from me. I live in the Hartville/Uniontown area. I'm not really in town - but close enough to where anything I put in the air can be seen by a lot of people - and heard. The only time I feel completely free is on the 4th, and maybe the night or two before. I'll do small 1 or 2 min. things a couple times - like NYE and a birthday or two - but always early if I can. I can psyche myself up to do a cake or a few shells here and there, but I don't push my luck. A canister shell going off within a couple hundred feet can be startling if you're not expecting it. Haha. It gets quiet around here. Very quiet - and I try and respect it. But sometimes I can't help myself either. I love shooting something off and getting a "Yeah!" from somewhere nearby. So when the 4th hits, I just make sure I'm ready and have a nice supply to take advantage of it. Most of my neighbors are into it, so I try not to let them down. I really hope something passes soon that'll make fireworks legal in Ohio - even if it's only a few days around the holiday.

Rick_In_Tampa
02-21-2021, 05:44 PM
You're not too far from me. I live in the Hartville/Uniontown area.

As in Unionton, Pa?? My wife is from Uniontown, Pa is why I ask.

DavidthePyro
02-21-2021, 06:06 PM

He's talking Uniontown nearish Canton, OH I believe. He's probably also pretty close to Pyro Dan, I haven't seen him on here in awhile, though we do text eachother every now and then

DavidthePyro
02-21-2021, 06:08 PM
If you are ever looking for a place to shoot outside your comfortable window, let me know! I'd be happy to make an evening of it when the weather turns

Jumping Shane
02-22-2021, 07:04 AM

No, I'm talking Uniontown Ohio. I wasn't even aware there was a Uniontown PA. I guess I learned something new today.

Arclight
02-22-2021, 02:20 PM
Speaking of Safe & Sane, I think I'll make a fuse-chained board this year with a piece of plywood and about 50 Piccolo Petes.

upNdown
02-22-2021, 06:49 PM
Almost as strange as saying you live in a state where everything is illegal, then seemingly agreeing it should be. But shooting canisters and 500 gram cakes in an illegal state because you believe they are safer. WTF? Also I can't help but wonder how you end up burning yourself with a sparkler more than once.

I haven't exactly burned myself with a sparkler. But I have, at least twice, been burned by a piece of sparkler that jumped off the sparkler and landed on my hand or arm.
And as far as fountains being dangerous - I don't know, that's just my gut reaction. They burn on the ground where people and children are. I can just imagine people or children getting too close to them and getting burned. I have no experience with them, nor do I want any - they just seem boring to me.

PyroCoyote NW
03-09-2021, 05:46 PM
i live in Washington state where the state is fairly open to fireworks but the counties and cities tend to rule with an iron fist they are legal for now in my town but it is hard to get any kind of lead on stocking up because of the restrictions on when they can be sold so far i haven't even been able to find a seller that would be willing to lay in a planned order for later pickup i would love to be able to sit down with a seller in advance and lay out my budget in advance instead of scrambling from one source to another after June 28th

displayfireworks1
03-09-2021, 07:51 PM
i live in Washington state where the state is fairly open to fireworks but the counties and cities tend to rule with an iron fist they are legal for now in my town but it is hard to get any kind of lead on stocking up because of the restrictions on when they can be sold so far i haven't even been able to find a seller that would be willing to lay in a planned order for later pickup i would love to be able to sit down with a seller in advance and lay out my budget in advance instead of scrambling from one source to another after June 28th

You probably should start a new thread with your first post on the forums. Curious how close you live to the Oregon border? What I know about Consumer and Display Fireworks in Washington State is that is that, is not the way I would like to see it to put it politely. As far as Consumer Fireworks sales. The good news is , no matter where you live , if you first and most important , have the proper budget and secondly if you don't mind a reasonable amount of travel, you can purchase all the Consumer Fireworks you desire.

Devo
03-09-2021, 11:13 PM
Fireworks violations are a misdemeanor, punishable by a maximum fine of $250 here. I willing to bite the bullet so to speak and I keep that amount set aside "just in case".