PDA

View Full Version : Water Cakes

PyroFL
02-02-2021, 11:50 AM
I will be adding water cakes to my show this year as the last thing to go off after the final stops and the cheering starts to die down.

Looking to see if anyone has used them before and see if had any advise on using them, spacing, setup and so on.

I have 250? of pond shore line as play area

https://www.76fireworks.com/product/GM910-12s-Silver-Carpet-Water-Cake-40sec

Thank you

C

PyroJoeNEPA
02-02-2021, 12:47 PM
We have used quite a few water cakes the last few years & one thing I can say is that they like to catch fire--so be prepared at the end of the show with a water can with water & a little soap in it! They look great but must be securely anchored or braced.

PyroFL
02-02-2021, 01:06 PM
That?s great information! Just the type of info I was looking for.

My idea is after the final, cheering, 28 nishiki fired over the the pond and as they about get to the water hit the water cake ... then your note put the fire out

PyroFL
02-02-2021, 01:11 PM
Joe how far would you say they go out and how wide?

Am thinking 25 feet apart ... I’ll have 8 cakes

esgrillo
02-02-2021, 01:49 PM
I used them for a couple years. The spread was big, probably 150ft. Make sure you have the room, depth and width.

You really need to secure these well as they have to be at the correct angle and when they fire, a decent amount of force is applied against the supports you have holding them in place. PyroJoe is right.

I had them in the beginning of the show in this video. I had 2 of them go off at the same time in the same spot. You can barely see them on the left bank of the retention pond in the set up portion in the beginning of the video. You can get an idea how big the spread is when you compare the show video using the water fountain as a reference.

They are nice... my venue was not great for them since the lake is below audience level so they were kind of hard to see. Other than that, a nice addition.

https://vimeo.com/296060757

PyroFL
02-02-2021, 03:24 PM
Thanks Ed and great info

Charles here by the way

Haven’t had time to work on those triggers for the fire machines but will after the super bowl ... been working 14-16 hours for the last month.

Salutecake
02-02-2021, 08:16 PM
Hi PyroFl,

I used my first one last year, but it was a 1.3 item, this year I bought several 1.4, if I remember I'll let you know what worked for me. Anyway, I put a concrete block behind it and it did well, no fire, the 1.3 shot out, I would say 125 ft, and had about a 75ft spread? Something like that.
We planned it like 3/4 of the way through the show, it was like the calm before the storm.

People really liked it, when it shot off and nothing happened for a few seconds, I heard a neighbor say, oh there goes a dud, then they started to glow, it was a crowd pleaser.

Good Luck!

PyroFL
02-03-2021, 07:18 AM
Thank you for the extra great information!

The contraption I’ll have to build to hold this should be very interesting. Our shoot site is on a 25’ to 30’ degree angle that goes down to the pond. Am sure I will over build it :cool:

I ended up ordering (4) 2-1 for a total of eight. I’ll have to go down and make some measurements and now looks like if it’s 75’ spread I don’t need so many and I can save them for next year or another part of the show.

I’ve still toying with when to put them in the show. Couple local shoot club guys also gave me some ideas and say am trying to be to artsy which most will not get.

151 days to go and I feel like am running out of time

displayfireworks1
02-03-2021, 11:33 AM
One of my winery videos has the water cakes in use. If the audience is sitting on the other end of the lake, don't point them towards that direction.
If I remember correctly the cake did catch fire

PyroFL
02-03-2021, 03:05 PM
Thanks Dave!

I should be fine most of the people will be around 650-700 feet away I believe. Haven’t use my rangefinder yet but I’m pretty sure

EdwardH
02-22-2021, 10:11 PM
I used them for a couple years. The spread was big, probably 150ft. Make sure you have the room, depth and width.

You really need to secure these well as they have to be at the correct angle and when they fire, a decent amount of force is applied against the supports you have holding them in place. PyroJoe is right.

I had them in the beginning of the show in this video. I had 2 of them go off at the same time in the same spot. You can barely see them on the left bank of the retention pond in the set up portion in the beginning of the video. You can get an idea how big the spread is when you compare the show video using the water fountain as a reference.

They are nice... my venue was not great for them since the lake is below audience level so they were kind of hard to see. Other than that, a nice addition.

Ed,

All I can say is WOW! That was a wonderful show.

Scott

Arles
02-23-2021, 09:38 AM

Wow, you have some really great shows. I'm generally underwhelmed by the addition of music, but yours are really amazing. Call me inspired!

esgrillo
02-23-2021, 10:00 AM
Ed,

All I can say is WOW! That was a wonderful show.

Scott

Thanks Scott, that one is a few years old. They have become way more elaborate and complicated lol. Take a look at 2020 :)

Rick_In_Tampa
02-23-2021, 08:34 PM
Wow, you have some really great shows. I'm generally underwhelmed by the addition of music, but yours are really amazing. Call me inspired!

Ed's shows are pretty much the palladium standard the rest of us strive for. I'm still aspiring for the "aluminum foil" standard, but Ed... He's in a class all his own.