PDA

View Full Version : 1st Online order

FinnAmerican
01-30-2021, 01:33 PM
A couple of days ago I made my first online order. It made things so much easier. Our local Phantom store has been empty since about July, and the Pro Fireworks stores
are only open at 1am, one day a week. Ordering online gives time to think about your order, no rush, like being in the store. And since the store was in Indiana there was no 12% Michigan Sales Tax (6% Sales Tax + 6% "Safety Tax"). The freight shipping was very affordable. And only took a day for delivery.
I know wholesale is cheaper; but I don't need that much product for the holidays.
Only one fallback to online ordering. That is the fun of indoor shopping.
Got my shopping done for Memorial Day weekend, Fourth of July week, Labor Day weekend and NYE.
I don't do a synchronized /choreographed show; just shooting for myself, and any neighbors who choose to watch. I enjoy it. Just need to finally try out my firing system...

joewad
01-30-2021, 05:12 PM
Consider yourself lucky with not having to pay the additional Indiana safety tax. I am a hoosier, buy 99% of my fireworks in Indiana (every once in awhile I slip soiuth of the state line and visit Eddie at Nite Lights, you gotta experience that). Well anyway last year one of my wholesalers here in Indiana started adding the additional safety tax upon my wholesale 1.3 purchase (yes that's right). I'm assuming the same applies to their 1.4 wholesale sales as well. I knew according to current documentation that this was not correct and I politely disagreed with them. After a brief discussion it was revealed that following a joint ATF and Indiana Department of Homeland Security review of their operations the homeland security personell told them that they should be applying this safety tax to even wholesale 1.3 sales. Well guess what, now they are. And if you want some of their product, like I do, you'll have to pay to play.

Salutecake
01-30-2021, 11:31 PM
Boy that seems a little odd that the homeland and ATF have a say on taxes. That would be a State law or a federal law that should be explained and enforced by State or Federal officials, not discussed and determined by federal agents?

bingsbaits
01-31-2021, 10:15 AM
That tax is one of the reasons I don't order from suppliers here in Pennsylvania..18% here with sales tax...

joewad
01-31-2021, 11:19 AM
It all about filling the public coffers now. Why do you think "mary-jane" is being legalized more and more. Federal and state governments really showed their hands regarding this at the beginning of the current pandemic. All I could do was shake my head when I saw that liquor stores were considered essential.

Salutecake
01-31-2021, 12:39 PM
I agree bingsbaits, I also go out of state, but I'm still confused about joewrd's tax. In PA it's a additional state sales tax for consumer products only, I'm still not sure how the ATF and Homeland can tell someone to apply a tax, unless it's written up by the state to include all fireworks in a safety tax. I'm sorry to bring this up again, just having a hard time understanding how the ATF and Homeland have a say in a tax.

jamisonlm3
01-31-2021, 04:35 PM
I know wholesale is cheaper; but I don't need that much product for the holidays. It's not so much that it's cheaper, it's the fact you get alot more for your money over a store like phantom. Did you at least get in on their buy one get 3 deal? Do you mind if I ask what you got and how much shipping was?

jknepp1954
01-31-2021, 07:09 PM
joewad - did Indiana change their laws to include 1.3 in the safety tax? I would assume that would have to be done to do that. The ATF just cant come in and say "charge the safety tax!" . Only the state authorities can do that. In Pa - 1.3 is only under the regular SALES tax of 6%. There is no 12% safty tax on that. And i would think that would be true in other states. ATF don't jurisdict taxes anywhere.

joewad
01-31-2021, 10:01 PM
joewad - did Indiana change their laws to include 1.3 in the safety tax? I would assume that would have to be done to do that. The ATF just cant come in and say "charge the safety tax!" . Only the state authorities can do that. In Pa - 1.3 is only under the regular SALES tax of 6%. There is no 12% safty tax on that. And i would think that would be true in other states. ATF don't jurisdict taxes anywhere.

Both ATF and Indiana's Dept Of Homeland (not federal) were making a joint visit. I think of state reps were there as well and the comment was made by state reps that the safety tax should also be applied to wholesale 1.3 as well. Indiana's homeland security has gotten involved with the permits regarding 1.3 public displays. The company wishing to stay in the good graces of the state have since started applying the additional safety tax upon 1.3 sales. I'm assuming wholesale 1.4 as well. My personal review of state docs does not show this to be the correct ruling but it is what it is. I might also add that 3 other 1.3 wholesale distributors in Indiana do NOT currently apply this additional safety tax.

nightstalker
01-31-2021, 11:49 PM
If a person orders fireworks out of state and the company he orders from doesn't have a physical location in the state of the person ordering do you still have to pay taxes on the order. Kind of like if I order a tv etc. from another state they don't charge me taxes if they don't have a physical location in my state.

PyroKing31
02-01-2021, 09:20 AM
That tax is one of the reasons I don't order from suppliers here in Pennsylvania..18% here with sales tax...

I found a supplier in PA that discounted heavily enough to account for that tax and more. even if I drove to Ohio with only a 6% tax I still would have paid more. Its all about making deals.

Greenville Pyro
02-01-2021, 11:33 AM
SO76 just posted the new prices. Ouch. Plus lots of products still missing. I'm sure they'll show up as products arrive.

Birdman
02-01-2021, 11:48 AM
If a person orders fireworks out of state and the company he orders from doesn't have a physical location in the state of the person ordering do you still have to pay taxes on the order. Kind of like if I order a tv etc. from another state they don't charge me taxes if they don't have a physical location in my state.

Technically (use) tax is owed in PA:

https://www.revenue.pa.gov/generaltaxinformation/tax%20types%20and%20information/sut/usetax/pages/default.aspx

EdwardH
02-03-2021, 07:00 PM
I just made my first online orders myself and agree with you 100%. It is so much easier, the pricing is so much better, and I believe the products are more predictable in terms of quality and performance (particularly 1.4 PRO) which is important from a safety perspective.

I just got my first pallet in today from sponsor AWF. I worked over the phone and email with Sabrina there and she gave me a wealth of valued advice.

I will get a pallet in a few days from sponsor CASABELLA. I worked with Tim there and found them also to be very honest and wonderful to work with as well.

From what I can tell we can expect a similar great experience from the other forum sponsors or vendors as well. I am thankful for this forum, the awesome sponsors, and am ordering online exclusively from now on.

displayfireworks1
02-03-2021, 09:04 PM
I just made my first online orders myself and agree with you 100%. It is so much easier, the pricing is so much better, and I believe the products are more predictable in terms of quality and performance (particularly 1.4 PRO) which is important from a safety perspective.

I just got my first pallet in today from sponsor AWF. I worked over the phone and email with Sabrina there and she gave me a wealth of valued advice.

I will get a pallet in a few days from sponsor CASABELLA. I worked with Tim there and found them also to be very honest and wonderful to work with as well.

From what I can tell we can expect a similar great experience from the other forum sponsors or vendors as well. I am thankful for this forum, the awesome sponsors, and am ordering online exclusively from now on.

Thank you for purchasing from some of the sponsors of pyrotalk and the pyrotalk forums. When a fireworks enthusiast purchases from one of my advertisers , if an issue ever occurs , I can help mediate if necessary. Just to let everyone know , I have not needed to mediate an issue in many years. The sponsors on pyrotalk have helped me and the advancing fireworks enthusiast in many ways. That includes the ATF license, Articles of Pyrotechnics , firing systems, shipping, training , employment for enthusiast, CDL's etc.

PyroFL
02-04-2021, 01:21 PM
I tried online order last year and love it now.

I ended up going with one of sponsored companies here.

Just placed my order today for the 4th:

108 - 500g cakes
52 - 200g cakes
456 - Mortars

Pro-Line

8 - 500g water cakes
40 - slice cakes
270 - Comets and mines

Now for the fun! Starting to work on the pyro-musical ... am sure I?ll be making a lot of calls to cobra

Rick_In_Tampa
02-04-2021, 05:16 PM
This is a whacky year already for me. By the end of January I had my entire order delivered and sitting in my garage, along with my songs strung together and the show scripted. I am truly in unchartered territory here! I must have forgotten something. I can't believe it's possible that I could be this efficient, and I've known myself for quite some time now! :confused:

PyroFL
02-05-2021, 10:52 AM
This is a whacky year already for me. By the end of January I had my entire order delivered and sitting in my garage, along with my songs strung together and the show scripted. I am truly in unchartered territory here! I must have forgotten something. I can't believe it's possible that I could be this efficient, and I've known myself for quite some time now! :confused:

Rick if your bored and need another script to help on I?ll fire up the BBQ and smoke some ribs.

This is my first year for the cobra and doing a pryo-musical too.

Exit 44 I-4 about hour from you

:o

Rick_In_Tampa
02-05-2021, 05:07 PM
Rick if your bored and need another script to help on I?ll fire up the BBQ and smoke some ribs.

This is my first year for the cobra and doing a pryo-musical too.

Exit 44 I-4 about hour from you

:o

That's the best offer I've gotten all year! :cool:

Seriously... I'm happy to help. I'm seriously wavering on the ribs offer, but to be honest, my days off are Fri and Sat, and Momma gets Sat!

If you have a Dropbox account or some other cloud storage account where we can share it out and collaborate, I'd be happy to help you script out your show.

Shoot me a PM and we can talk more if you're interested.

PyroFL
02-05-2021, 05:39 PM
That's the best offer I've gotten all year! :cool:

Seriously... I'm happy to help. I'm seriously wavering on the ribs offer, but to be honest, my days off are Fri and Sat, and Momma gets Sat!

If you have a Dropbox account or some other cloud storage account where we can share it out and collaborate, I'd be happy to help you script out your show.

Shoot me a PM and we can talk more if you're interested.

Sounds Great and thank you ... I?ll set something up.

Mostly it?s timing and setting it up correctly. Need someone to double check my work and all input welcome

In my down time which is very little am editing my music down to around 90-120 sec per song. Should be done in a week or so.

Either way I?ll make sure you get some of my ribs ... I can deliver :)

Rick_In_Tampa
02-05-2021, 09:25 PM
Sounds Great and thank you ... I?ll set something up.

Mostly it?s timing and setting it up correctly. Need someone to double check my work and all input welcome

In my down time which is very little am editing my music down to around 90-120 sec per song. Should be done in a week or so.

Either way I?ll make sure you get some of my ribs ... I can deliver :)

Lol.. I appreciate that, but I'd hate to have you drive 2 hours round trip just to feed me. Maybe we can meet in Lakeland one day. It's only Feb. We've got plenty of time.

FinnAmerican
02-05-2021, 10:42 PM
I checked the website that I had ordered from. I noticed the prices had gone up after I received my order. A half brick of Black Cat firecrackers increased from $8.49 up to $11.99.

EdwardH
02-22-2021, 10:15 PM
Thank you for purchasing from some of the sponsors of pyrotalk and the pyrotalk forums. When a fireworks enthusiast purchases from one of my advertisers , if an issue ever occurs , I can help mediate if necessary. Just to let everyone know , I have not needed to mediate an issue in many years. The sponsors on pyrotalk have helped me and the advancing fireworks enthusiast in many ways. That includes the ATF license, Articles of Pyrotechnics , firing systems, shipping, training , employment for enthusiast, CDL's etc.

Thank you for everything you have done. ALL of our sponsors are just wonderful, a pleasure to do business with, and enthusiasts as well!