PDA

View Full Version : 1.3 magazine inspection question

lostpup
01-29-2021, 08:02 PM
Hey guys after seeing a couple builds on here PAClark and Bezerk come to mind. I have decided to build my own magazine. I am in illinois. That said talking to our state DNR explosives guy. Which has been very helpful and easy to deal with. The state is who will inspect and give it a number. This seems off to me. My very first phone call was to local BATFE district office. That agent informed me that they only inspect on renewal. That I need to contact a state DNR Mines and Minerals to get it approved and numbered then they send paperwork to BATFE. I could swear it states that display fireworks have to be stored in a ATF Approved magazine. Does the ATF not give it a number and I have to notify them of storage change? I am building a magazine to make it easier to stay legal, yet this seems like it's setting me up to fail with the ATF not inspecting for 3 years. That said I understand illinois may go by ATF specs so they don't want to waste a trip. Anyone from Illinois that can chime in for certain . Pm always open as well.

Arclight
01-29-2021, 08:14 PM
ATF specs are pretty easy to follow and are probably easier to meet than whatever your state guy wants. Just build it. If ATF doesn't want to come out for 3 years, that's on them.

displayfireworks1
01-29-2021, 09:01 PM
This whole ATF issues the 1.3 fireworks license and the states still have some authority on the magazines is some BS that has been going on since 2003. Last I heard the ATF does issue the magazine a number and places a numeric sticker inside of it. This magazine storage approval seems to vary by state. For example in the State of West Virginia they accept the ATF inspection and approval of the magazine first, once the ATF signs off on it, WV accepts it . Last I checked in Pennsylvania the ATF will tell you to have the State of Pennsylvania sign off on it first before they come to inspect it. The guy from the State of Pennsylvania comes to inspect and has the Federal "Orange Book" in his hand.
If you think about it analytically, explosive magazine storage is essentially real estate sitting on state and/or local property subject to the normal real estate laws and zoning. This legal theory may apply more to a free standing magazine rather than an indoor magazine placed inside of an already approved outbuilding or shed. Placing a magazine inside of an already real estate approved outbuilding with less than 50 lbs of explosive storage sounds like a better legal argument as opposed to free standing magazine (new piece of real estate) holding thousands of pound of explosives. This all assumes you are a hobbyist and not in business or a hobbyist trying to pretend you are a hobbyist attempting to run a covert fireworks business.

Arclight
01-29-2021, 10:49 PM
ATF specs are pretty easy to follow and are probably easier to meet than whatever your state guy wants. Just build it. If ATF doesn't want to come out for 3 years, that's on them.

lostpup
01-29-2021, 11:06 PM
So do I have to report to them my magazine number since I will store in it instead of contingency?

Arclight
01-29-2021, 11:12 PM
You fill out the section in the application where they want to know where your magazine is, what type, material, etc. They will also want an aerial photo with measurements to nearest road and neighbor's occupied structures. It's up to them whether they come out to verify and sticker it. The only time I know that ATF defers to another agency for inspections is for underground mines. They let MSHA's mine inspectors check powder magazines that are underground.

lostpup
01-30-2021, 10:44 AM
So should I call my agent again and reword the question. I asked about inspection and that is a 3 year deal. When in reality I need approval. Could have this been misunderstood?

Archlight let me make sure I get this correct. I need to get another application and fill out the magazine portion? Are they concerned where it is physically stored or just that it is in an approved magazine and there is a paper trail to disposal or proof that it is still in possession. I don't know if that is worded correctly.

Arclight
01-30-2021, 12:37 PM
When you fill out the normal application for an ATF license (Form 5400.13/F 5400.16) you fill out the section that asks about magazines. You also want to include the diagram/aerial photo in the packet you mail in, along with the fingerprint card and check. If you already have a license and are adding a magazine, ATF will tell you what to send them. The inspection is literally a few minutes in most cases. They want to verify that it really exists, take GPS coordinates and make sure it looks like it meets standards.

lostpup
01-30-2021, 08:51 PM
I already have my 54, it seems to me he could care less. That the state is going to verify and give approval number. Which I'm okay with. Just seems odd is why I'm asking. Thank you everyone.

cherrybomb1
02-08-2021, 04:07 AM
Did you get your IDNR explosive permit?.i just had my 54 renewal interview and they stated Illinois wont approve a magazine without it also if the IDNR approves your magazine the ATF will go with whatever they say.

lostpup
03-04-2021, 09:59 PM
illinois just opened back up for DNR explosives classes. I did take it and am moving foward with my own magazine.