PDA

View Full Version : Cake Timing

Salutecake
01-29-2021, 11:09 AM
Does anyone know how well 2 larger 1.3 cakes will sync up?

I would like to use 2 of the same long (appx) 1 minute cakes as bookends, and was wondering how well they would sync up through the course of a minute? I would think with shorter 20 sec cakes it would not matter as much, but with longer cake? Just wondering?

BMoore
01-29-2021, 03:47 PM
Depends on the cake. Generally they are pretty close but there will always be some variation. What I'd do is put the primary and backup leaders on their own cues. As you watch the cakes fire if they are obviously way out of sync then hit the secondary leader to speed them both up. Turning a minute cake into a 30 second cake is going to make make the variance much less noticeable. You can usually tell within the first few seconds if one is running a lot faster than the other.

displayfireworks1
01-29-2021, 09:51 PM
Not sure what you level of experience is and your firing system equipment etc . I assume everyone on these forums are hobbyist and advanced fireworks enthusiast that are not in business. Don't try to be a perfectionist timing your display and don't assume these 1.3 fireworks products are going to fire exactly alike simultaneously. Most of these 1.3 are not made to those exact firing standards. At least not at the level most of us can purchase. Shoot to your audience. I recommend all advanced fireworks enthusiast work part time for a display company. Once you work these gigs a few years, you will see how 1.3 fireworks perform and how shows are setup, total time of firing etc and most important hear audience reaction and the sponsor response at the end of the display. This is what I like about just pushing buttons on a Cobra or similar fireworks firing system. I can adjust the show as it moves along to allow for errors in performance or how it was incorrectly setup, audience response etc.

Salutecake
01-30-2021, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the replies! I realize that the longer something goes on the more chance for it not to sync up with another, I guess what I was looking for was, not perfection, but close within 3 seconds or so, 10 seconds or forget about it.

Dave, I totally agree with you on working shows and getting experience, but, you probably well know, that display operators want you to work the fourth of July, other than that many have there own crews and most don't want you to learn their trade secrets and take their business away. Last year, how much experience did any one get, is this year going to be any better? Over the past several years, I have sent out at least a dozen letters and let my name with several display companies, with only 1 response, and I gladly worked that show. I might also add that I offered to work for free. The PGI is a great place to start and learn, but, to work towards your certification you need to work 5 shows in three years and lead one of them, unless Daddy or your Uncle owns a display company, good luck with that. So joining a local club might offer the best solution.

So my whole point of the rant above, is that, I think most of us are not looking to be perfectionist, but are looking for ways to improve our skills, learn about new products and procedures, enhance our own shows, and for most of us, it is to ask questions on forums like this one you provide and hope we can get answers to the many questions that we have, at the only available resource at our finger tips. Thanks for providing this site!

specialfxpyro
01-31-2021, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the replies! I realize that the longer something goes on the more chance for it not to sync up with another, I guess what I was looking for was, not perfection, but close within 3 seconds or so, 10 seconds or forget about it.

Dave, I totally agree with you on working shows and getting experience, but, you probably well know, that display operators want you to work the fourth of July, other than that many have there own crews and most don't want you to learn their trade secrets and take their business away. Last year, how much experience did any one get, is this year going to be any better? Over the past several years, I have sent out at least a dozen letters and let my name with several display companies, with only 1 response, and I gladly worked that show. I might also add that I offered to work for free. The PGI is a great place to start and learn, but, to work towards your certification you need to work 5 shows in three years and lead one of them, unless Daddy or your Uncle owns a display company, good luck with that. So joining a local club might offer the best solution.

So my whole point of the rant above, is that, I think most of us are not looking to be perfectionist, but are looking for ways to improve our skills, learn about new products and procedures, enhance our own shows, and for most of us, it is to ask questions on forums like this one you provide and hope we can get answers to the many questions that we have, at the only available resource at our finger tips. Thanks for providing this site!

Most 1.3 cakes shot in pairs should be within 10 seconds or less of each other. If it's a nice cake no one really cares if they get out of synch.

If you are near Eastern PA, NJ or DE I'd be happy to have you out on a professional show and show you all the tricks of the trade. Pm me if interested. I strongly suggest that you never work on any professional show for free. You need to be protected in case of an accident and the display company is required to get an ATF EPQ for anyone who touches fireworks on a Pro show.

Salutecake
01-31-2021, 09:08 PM
Thanks specialfxpyro, I did send you a PM

I hear what your saying about about getting paid. My point, (I'm getting old and I have old school ethics I guess) I was trying to make, was back in my early teens I worked for a home building contractor, for 3 summers and after school, just to learn enough to be able to build my own house some day. I told him then if he would put me on I would work for nothing, just to learn, well he did put me on and he did end up paying me, if i was going to college for this I would have to pay to learn, what's a fair price for hands on experience?

Again Thanks

specialfxpyro
02-08-2021, 03:01 AM
Thanks specialfxpyro, I did send you a PM

I hear what your saying about about getting paid. My point, (I'm getting old and I have old school ethics I guess) I was trying to make, was back in my early teens I worked for a home building contractor, for 3 summers and after school, just to learn enough to be able to build my own house some day. I told him then if he would put me on I would work for nothing, just to learn, well he did put me on and he did end up paying me, if i was going to college for this I would have to pay to learn, what's a fair price for hands on experience?

Again Thanks

The first show which will go no matter what is memorial day weekend, hopefully you guys can join us. It's a 1.3 pyromusical so you'll get a chance to see pretty much everything you have to know to set one up and shoot it.