PDA

View Full Version : NO spectators at Thunder Over Louisville 2021

displayfireworks1
01-26-2021, 08:50 PM
Information just received in regard to Thunder Over Louisville Kentucky 2021 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEmbKkpxN74

jamisonlm3
01-26-2021, 11:52 PM
I have to be honest, I think this year is going to be just as bad as last year for professional shows.

Birdman
01-27-2021, 01:44 PM
I have to be honest, I think this year is going to be just as bad as last year for professional shows.

I suspect the situation will begin to start improving come April/May. There's a chance many July 4th and later celebrations could be spared. This event was to take place in April and there is just no more time to take a wait and see approach. At least they are moving forward with the show. I think the season really depends on how many people get vaccinated in the coming months. I'm no expert but between the number of people already infected and the number of people getting vaccinated (assuming we continue to increase vaccine supplies and people actually get them), we should start to see the numbers drop in the next few months. I know in my social circles the number of people that have not been exposed in some way (contracting the virus or getting vaccinated) is shrinking. My wife and a few others have been vaccinated and many of the higher risk people are on lists to get vaccinated in the next month or so. Many others already infected and resolved.

Not to get too wonky or too off topic, but the vaccines being offered now that require two doses are more effective after one dose than then the 50% number being thrown around. That 50% effectiveness is based on studies that looked at how many people contracted the virus after day 1 of receiving the first dose. It takes about 2 weeks for the body to create all of the antibodies after the first dose. If you look at the number of people that were infected after 2 weeks of receiving the first dose that number drops to 10% which is 90% effective. I don't want to discourage people from getting both doses but I believe in an abundance of caution the 50% number is being used and they are not accounting for the people that contracted and resolved the virus without a confirmed test. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but I really think we're closer to the end than some experts are willing to admit.

Rick_In_Tampa
01-27-2021, 11:09 PM
This year is going to be one hell of a rollercoaster ride. Between the economy tanking and the covid vaccine and kids returning or not returning to school.... Not to mention any other political fallout that might be in store... It's going to be a crazy crazy year.

If we're just looking at covid vaccinations ramping up so we can all get back to work, then if you believe Dr Fauchi (at least this week) we should be on track to be opening things up by summer time. The new administration is looking to vaccinate 1.5M people a day and we're already doing that. So if they can work out the logistics to get it distributed and used, we should be back to some version of "normal" in a matter of months. Hopefully long before July 4th, PGI Convention, Labor day, etc.

BMoore
01-28-2021, 04:20 PM
I think the positive thing is that in 2020 a lot of display companies and events pioneered the virtual/non-spectator or drive in fireworks displays. That concept seemed stupid a year ago but proved to be quite popular. Trying to guess the secret locations became a fun event in and of itself. I'm hearing that some display companies are seeing an uptick in contracts going into 2021. Thunder over Louisville is a good example as a show cancelled entirely in 2020 but being held virtually in 2021 and this is one of the largest shows in the nation. Its not ideal but it keeps the display companies in business and shells in there air. Its going to be another interesting year for sure.