PDA

View Full Version : Loudest Consumer Fireworks

Daze
01-25-2021, 01:32 AM
I've been wondering if anyone ever took a decibel meter to some fireworks to find out which really is the loudest on the market. Excals are pretty loud (not much for effects but they're loud) yet are they really the loudest around? And I heard Spartan Scream and its re-wraps just might be the loudest fountain around but is it really? Black Cat firecrackers supposedly should be the loudest because they have stricter quality control than most however how loud can they be compared to any other dozens of brands out there? We need someone who can get to the bottom of this.

PyroKing31
01-25-2021, 10:58 AM
Volume on shells specifically varies a lot by how high the burst is and how far you are from it. The higher it goes the quieter it seems. You would need to define a distance and then you would be able to measure it, because a cannister shell that only goes 125ft vs one that hits 200 or more makes a huge difference in perceived volume.

PyroJoeNEPA
01-25-2021, 07:40 PM
Although rational thinking would say there should be a "standard of measurements" for fireworks, unfortunately, there is not. The notorious CPSC [Consumer Products Safety Commission} use a "by ear" determination to say if they feel an item meets requirements or is an "overload". Pretty lame, huh? Like PyroKing31 said, distance from break, height of launched device, etc all play into the end result. Probably not good to pursue the testing---gov't has messed up enough in the pyro world for us already!

RalphieJ
01-26-2021, 12:33 PM
Humidity and wind will also affect your perception of sound from your point of view, making it difficult to obtain consistent measurements when comparing shells.

leftiluci
01-26-2021, 11:38 PM
decibel difference is only aprox 3db every time you double energy which works
on a squared scale, if this kind of eq exists it is in the hands of audio manufacturers , btw , bc, no bueno , if I can read the label , I pass