PDA

View Full Version : Composition Binders

belmec3825
01-13-2021, 06:17 AM
Has anyone ever used liquid starch in lieu of dextrin for stars, fuse, granules, etc? Its the blue stuff from the laundry aisle in a store. And if so, does it work? I was just curious if it would work.

displayfireworks1
01-13-2021, 11:41 AM
Not sure what that is. I believe corn starch can be used in a pinch.

PyroJoeNEPA
01-13-2021, 12:10 PM
Argo starch is used to make a BP slurry to make black match and prime for lances, fuses, inserts, etc.. I have seen a video of someone in Mexico [I believe] dipping rolled stars into it to add a final prime coating --but I have no idea how that would work out. I have not heard of it being used in comps as a binder but I am sure it has been tried. I just am not familiar with doing it personally.
Dextrine is corn starch that has been baked & is a common binder, but I have found that the commercially sold dextrine seems to work better than the home made stuff.

Arclight
01-13-2021, 12:49 PM
There is a technique used for making sand cores in metal casting. You mix Sodium Silicate in, form it to shape and then expose it to CO2 from a fire extinguisher or similar. It sets up instantly and rock-hard. I wonder if that could be used for fireworks comps?

displayfireworks1
01-13-2021, 04:32 PM
If I remember correctly back in the day I made Armstrong torpedos with corn starch as a binder. As far as liquid laundry starch. I'm curious what the evaporation rate would be.

belmec3825
01-18-2021, 06:54 AM
Well, for $2.97 @ walmart, i bought a 64 oz jug of purex sta-flo liquid starch in the laundry aisle. i wasn't sure how much to use at first or if any of my guesses would be right or wrong. either way, i went with 5% of the liquid starch to a 100g batch of bp. first i pumped out some stars and let them dry. they are rock hard now and burn the same as if i would've used dextrin. i tried the same formula for black match. this impressed me. the match is very stiff and burns perfect. i also repeated the formula and coated rice hulls. again, works like dextrin in my opinion. i don't know how many of you have a girlfriend who thinks fireworks are dumb, but mine does. so, if liquid starch keeps her from yelling at me for making dextrin in the kitchen, then this is it for me. just my thoughts. i obviously will test this a little more or if anyone has insight or has results from their own tests, i'd be willing to listen. i am still a novice with fireworks but learn fast. i would like to learn more and how can i get my licensing in wisconsin?

PyroJoeNEPA
01-18-2021, 11:09 AM
Interesting post. Did you dry the black match in a drying box--or just let it air dry? Also--is it pliable or brittle?
I'm intrigued with the rice hulls comment--I will be making some as soon as this PA weather gets warm enough for them to dry--I am going to try a batch like this and see how it works out. As they say, 'lots of ways to skin a cat".

belmec3825
01-18-2021, 07:15 PM
I have a board with screws in it that i wrap the black match around and let it air dry. the match is brittle and burns nice. the rice hulls burn nice too. i've also experimented with sawdust chips from chainsaws that i get from the local yard waste centers. oatmeal works really well too