PDA

View Full Version : Florida Type 54 Magazine Questions

ONExLOSTxSOUL
01-11-2021, 11:33 PM
Hey guys if anyone in Florida with a type 54 and their own mag could chime in regarding if the ATF was concerned with local fire marshal regarding their magazines or if they only followed their guidelines. My first attempt was squashed by local city FM but I have sourced a friend with property in the county jurisdiction with a shed on the property so I think I can do a indoor job box type mag and be able to make this work now.

Any input would be appreciated.

displayfireworks1
01-15-2021, 10:51 AM
What reason did the FM give you and most importantly did he valadate what he told you with an establish document or regulation?

specialfxpyro
01-15-2021, 12:55 PM
In NJ the FM doesn't need to quote a regulation or a document to deny you a permit for a magazine. You might be able to take it to court and make a case there is no reg. But that doesn't mean after you drop $10k on a lawyer the corrupt judges would rule in your favor.

Ask Jeff at MJG how much time and money it cost him to get a mag in NJ and he's a manufacturer.

IMO no matter which state you live in, if the local FM says no it's battle not worth having.

ONExLOSTxSOUL
01-15-2021, 08:44 PM
What reason did the FM give you and most importantly did he validate what he told you with an establish document or regulation?

He said that they are not allowed inside the city limits and didn't give me any regulation, like I mentioned I do have an option somewhere further my only real concern is that I would be hard pressed to inspect it every week. someone does live on the property I just don't think they would want to have anything to do with my shed lol.

displayfireworks1
01-15-2021, 09:56 PM
In NJ the FM doesn't need to quote a regulation or a document to deny you a permit for a magazine. You might be able to take it to court and make a case there is no reg. But that doesn't mean after you drop $10k on a lawyer the corrupt judges would rule in your favor.

Ask Jeff at MJG how much time and money it cost him to get a mag in NJ and he's a manufacturer.

IMO no matter which state you live in, if the local FM says no it's battle not worth having.

Wow how did we go from Florida to New Jersey? After fighting the ATF Inspectors and Fire Marshals in various unfriendly states and regions , my experience has been they spew out a lot of verbal stuff that is unfounded in the regulations or statues. The training manual for the fire marshals and local city officials answering phones and giving verbal responses is : NO. Verbal communication with these entities is worthless. Don't assume the most knowledgeable person of any local government agency is answering the phones. They usually have a gatekeeper answering calls. The only real communication is written communication. The local "Fire Marshall" in Texas tried to stop a fireworks magazine with some verbal BS. I told that ATF Regional Supervisor "What is in it for FM for approve anything"? Of course he hung up on me shortly after that, however he got my point and the advanced fireworks enthusiast in Texas and Ohio , New York , Tennessee etc are now ATF licensed because they pushed past that BS.
I'm going to tell you "specialfxpyro" my main adversary in helping the advanced pyro-enthusiast get ATF licensed is not any government entity or even a major fireworks representative organization. Its mid-level people that work in the fireworks industry that feel threatened by the ever growing advanced fireworks enthusiast. The more this fireworks hobby grows , the more these enthusiast look and behave like display companies rather than our pyrotechnic roots of making fireworks. Some in the industry find that unsettling.

Arclight
01-15-2021, 10:15 PM
If someone on the property can visually tell that it hasn't been broken into once a week, that should be fine. You could also install a cellular or wireless camera that less you see the outside and probably get a variance from ATF.

specialfxpyro
01-15-2021, 11:06 PM
Wow how did we go from Florida to New Jersey? After fighting the ATF Inspectors and Fire Marshals in various unfriendly states and regions , my experience has been they spew out a lot of verbal stuff that is unfounded in the regulations or statues. The training manual for the fire marshals and local city officials answering phones and giving verbal responses is : NO. Verbal communication with these entities is worthless. Don't assume the most knowledgeable person of any local government agency is answering the phones. They usually have a gatekeeper answering calls. The only real communication is written communication. The local "Fire Marshall" in Texas tried to stop a fireworks magazine with some verbal BS. I told that ATF Regional Supervisor "What is in it for FM for approve anything"? Of course he hung up on me shortly after that, however he got my point and the advanced fireworks enthusiast in Texas and Ohio , New York , Tennessee etc are now ATF licensed because they pushed past that BS.
I'm going to tell you "specialfxpyro" my main adversary in helping the advanced pyro-enthusiast get ATF licensed is not any government entity or even a major fireworks representative organization. Its mid-level people that work in the fireworks industry that feel threatened by the ever growing advanced fireworks enthusiast. The more this fireworks hobby grows , the more these enthusiast look and behave like display companies rather than our pyrotechnic roots of making fireworks. Some in the industry find that unsettling.

State and local authorities have the final say on the use, manufacture and storage of explosives within there jurisdictions. My point was not so much about a particular state but rather if a FM says not in my city he or she is going to win.

I'm simply relaying an experience, the OP is free to take it or leave it. Wasn't intended to set you off.

I deal with people in the industry in Pa, NJ, NY, De, Md and Va., was member of 3 different fireworks clubs and none of them find a hobbyist obtaining type 54 unsettling. I'm guessing your experience is different.

One of the companies I work for Celebration Fireworks recent held an even in PA (Thunder in the Poconos) which included a seminar on obtaining an ATF type 54 on my recommendation. It was quite well attended I might add. Companies like Lynch and Celebration who sell 1.3 welcome it because it increases there customer base.

215less
01-16-2021, 10:37 PM
I wound agree with Specialfxpyro on this one. Why poke the bear with a stick? this is also the same group of officials that will find every little thing to ether shut you down, or even prevent other local potential issues from happening or becoming addressed. If anything, i'd be asking how or where can i donate some money or time to the local Fire Dept or TWP / County.

I was told a story once from a very unfriendly pyro state that a person who had recently obtained his user permit wanted to get his own storage magazine. The Twp and fire marshal said hell no, after afew years building a report, donating, helping with local food drives and even a free permit to shoot if he donated time and product, they after 3 years realized he was serious and gave him approval for his magazine. If he were to throw a stink in their face about codes and laws without an at attorney present. His chances would be non existent. Be careful what you say or in this day and age post on social media is what I've been taught, just my opinion.