PDA

View Full Version : Can y'all judge my 6 shot mortar rack build?

MortarRack
01-07-2021, 06:13 PM
Here is my 6 shot mortar rack build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEIR_qICqAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEIR_qICqAA

Can y'all rate it for me? How safe is it? What are your thoughts?

Thanks, Jeremiah

jamisonlm3
01-07-2021, 07:36 PM
The only safe racks I can think of are the steel ones. Your's will work fine, but I think they're heavier than they need to be. The middle board isn't needed IMHO. Only the Two sides and bottom need to be made out of 2x stock. The rest can be 5/8" or even 1/2" plywood/osb. I also think the two sides should sit on the bottom board. Othewise, if not shooting on solid ground, you'll be stressing the screws and wood more then you have too. Are you using drywood screws? Watch out with those, they're known for breaking. I would've glued all the spacers in.

Greenville Pyro
01-07-2021, 08:00 PM
Here's a couple of thoughts: (beware of these, like opinions and assholes, everyone's got one) Yes, the rack will be too heavy. Don't need the middle board and cut the size of the rails. I like the pre-drilling to prevent splits. You could have listed sizes of wood and lengths for your audience. I like glue too, but that's just me. I also like to add a bottom flat board to add bricks, or feet if only shooting a single rack. Tip-over can be an issue. Now, if you're building these modular and connecting them, no need. Lastly, I know you're "down south" but put some shoes on. Especially if you're trying to teach on a YouTube channel. I want to know what I'm building is coming from someone who knows their stuff, not some barefooted redneck. Overall good job though.

d34d3ND
01-07-2021, 08:45 PM
I will stick with some of the other comments about it being too heavy and you don't need the middle board. If you insist on using 2x4 for the side rails, give your back a rest and remove the middle otherwise you will be hurting after lugging around a few dozen of these. Plus, it saves a little. 2nd, goes with the first, but I make all of my side rails out of 1/2'' plywood. You can buy a 4x8 sheet and rip it down with a circular saw. My first racks were all 2x4's like this and that was the last year I used them. I tore 'em all down the following year to make them lighter and put 10 in a rack (for 3''). I like the spacers as well. Depending on who you talk to, they are not needed, but I read a lot of different codes and took one of the most stringent codes (for California) and it basically states the spacer should be equal to the diameter of the mortar tube if you plan on shooting salutes. Any space is better than none, but there are no real regulations that I am aware of regarding proper spacing for rack building. I have seen enough racks with no spacing at all.

Rick_In_Tampa
01-07-2021, 08:50 PM
Jeremiah - I think you did an awesome job! It does look very heavy, but if you're a young buck, I guess that's not going to be an issue. You definitely want to determine how you're going to stabilize them before you use them.

As for the shoes... I couldn't have built that with steel toed Army boots on! So kuddo's to you!

MortarRack
01-07-2021, 09:18 PM
Here's a couple of thoughts: (beware of these, like opinions and assholes, everyone's got one) Yes, the rack will be too heavy. Don't need the middle board and cut the size of the rails. I like the pre-drilling to prevent splits. You could have listed sizes of wood and lengths for your audience. I like glue too, but that's just me. I also like to add a bottom flat board to add bricks, or feet if only shooting a single rack. Tip-over can be an issue. Now, if you're building these modular and connecting them, no need. Lastly, I know you're "down south" but put some shoes on. Especially if you're trying to teach on a YouTube channel. I want to know what I'm building is coming from someone who knows their stuff, not some barefooted redneck. Overall good job though.

Hey, I was in my garage, so shoes are not as necessary. These are connected together, so no worry about tipping. Do you think the middle board would help the stability in case of a CATO that took out the bottom?

jamisonlm3
01-07-2021, 11:12 PM
I think the middle board is in a pretty bad spot on the rack. It's most likely sitting right in front or very close to the comp in a shell.

specialfxpyro
01-08-2021, 01:51 AM
There is more than 1 way to build a rack. Dimensional lumber, OSB and plywood are acceptable materials. Personally I'm not fan of using drywall screws for anything other than drywall, there sheer strength sucks. However I don't think using drywall screws to assemble a rack is concerning.

Nice job

WithReport
01-08-2021, 02:38 AM
Hey, Nice Job

As others have pointed out, I'd suggest OSB or plywood for the sides. It is not only a weight saver, but also a cost saver and space saver. Here are some of mine stored. If I'd used 2x3s those nine 6-shot racks would take up an additional 18 inches.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5487&stc=1

I have my opinions on the 3 boards per side, other's will have different opinions, but you will notice that the upper two are actually ripped down narrower than the bottom one. The bottom one matches the plug in the tube - essentially 3" wide (1.5 for the base and 1.5 fort he plug)

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5488&stc=1

I'd also leave more of the tube protruding out of the top. This is again a personal preference. On some of my tubes, I've started drilling holes to tie off wires for when e-firing shells and canisters. I've not done that on all of them yet, but that was one of the reason for leaving additional tube length protruding out the top on my racks.

I'd also recommend deck screws and shoes ;).

You might find buying some 1x3 for spacers will be cheaper than chopping up 2x3s, too

Again, all personal preferences - even the shoes. What you've done will work fine.

The video is great, too. It does look somewhat familiar. :rolleyes: But good for you!!! Like I said, everyone will have their own tweaks and adjustments to their approach - sometimes based on time, resources, and available tools. You can see the difference in the racks I build many years ago and my most current standard. As for your build and video - nice job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1aYZbdoAMY

rfgonzo
01-08-2021, 04:39 PM
I'm not going to rate them as most have given you good feed back already. I would like to say good job in thinking about safety first and asking people's opinions. Your on the right track!

MortarRack
01-08-2021, 04:48 PM
Hey, Nice Job

As others have pointed out, I'd suggest OSB or plywood for the sides. It is not only a weight saver, but also a cost saver and space saver. Here are some of mine stored. If I'd used 2x3s those nine 6-shot racks would take up an additional 18 inches.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5487&stc=1

I have my opinions on the 3 boards per side, other's will have different opinions, but you will notice that the upper two are actually ripped down narrower than the bottom one. The bottom one matches the plug in the tube - essentially 3" wide (1.5 for the base and 1.5 fort he plug)

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5488&stc=1

I'd also leave more of the tube protruding out of the top. This is again a personal preference. On some of my tubes, I've started drilling holes to tie off wires for when e-firing shells and canisters. I've not done that on all of them yet, but that was one of the reason for leaving additional tube length protruding out the top on my racks.

I'd also recommend deck screws and shoes ;).

You might find buying some 1x3 for spacers will be cheaper than chopping up 2x3s, too

Again, all personal preferences - even the shoes. What you've done will work fine.

The video is great, too. It does look somewhat familiar. :rolleyes: But good for you!!! Like I said, everyone will have their own tweaks and adjustments to their approach - sometimes based on time, resources, and available tools. You can see the difference in the racks I build many years ago and my most current standard. As for your build and video - nice job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1aYZbdoAMY

I did use your style of racks, just used 2x3 instead of ply. Thanks for the video, it inspired my design.

I did not use drywall screw, I used 2 1/2" deck screws.

leftiluci
01-09-2021, 01:39 PM
Weight saving aside , using osb on your bottom slats will prevent a cato from blowing the whole piece off. Instead the chipboard will break out only near the tube, leaving the rest of the rack intact.

pyroboom
01-10-2021, 12:46 AM
Weight saving aside , using osb on your bottom slats will prevent a cato from blowing the whole piece off. Instead the chipboard will break out only near the tube, leaving the rest of the rack intact.

I agree. Well said. I appreciate your input.