PDA

View Full Version : 2FA Black Powder Storage

ETnepa
01-05-2021, 04:04 PM
I recently got my license and I also got my indoor magazine (a job box) approved for storage. I'm heading out to Indiana for my first purchase of 1.3 fireworks and have a question about the storage requirements for black powder. Since it is an indoor magazine I cannot exceed 50lbs of net explosive weight. The sales guy stated the black powder does not go towards my 50lb limit since I would only be buying a small amount. I read thru the ATF orange book and it sounds like black powder is subject to both being stored in my magazine and going towards my weight limit just like quickmatch and ematch would be. I called my local ATF guy and he stated that is correct - store it in my magazine and calculate its weight. Does anyone know if that is accurate? Just wanted to double check just in case I'm interpreting something in the orange book wrong along with the ATF guy. Thanks in advance.

Auto1918
01-05-2021, 04:32 PM
you are supose to store black powder in your Magazine if you are using it for fireworks. The atf dose have an exepction if you are using it for firearms sporting use.

"Black powder is an explosive material for purposes of federal explosives laws and regulations.
However, the law exempts from regulation commercially manufactured black powder in quantities not exceeding 50 pounds (as well as percussion caps, safety and pyrotechnic fuses, quills, quick and slow matches, and friction primers) intended to be used solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes in antique firearms as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16) or in antique devices exempted from the term "destructive device" in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(4)."

Arclight
01-05-2021, 05:45 PM
The above is correct. You could keep any black or smokeless powder used for small arms or other sporting uses in a separate, personal storage area. Anything you use for pyro, blasting, etc. must be kept in your magazine.

ETnepa
01-05-2021, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the clarification.