PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please share a picture of a 6 shot rack that had a 5" can CATO?

MortarRack
12-30-2020, 03:10 PM
I am wondering about what happens if you don't space the HDPE tubes, and one of them CATOs. I am building 6 shot racks out of treated 2x4s. 2x12 Bottom, 2x3 ends (stripped 2x4), 2x4 bottom sides, and 2x4 top sides. The bottom sides are secured to the bottom with huge angle brackets. I have heard some of y'all say 2x4 is worse than OSB/plywood, but I am wondering if this would be okay because I am only doing 1.4G not 1.3G.

pyroboom
12-30-2020, 05:06 PM
I would not build your racks using treated wood. Using a 2x4 (1.5" thick) wood is just fine for the frame. I actually recommend it.

There are no regulations/rules for consumer racks, but of course following 1.3 guidelines and common sense go a long way. When it comes to fireworks I think the #1 thing you can do is make sure your racks are at a safe distance. They say "distance is your friend" and 100% agree with that. In essence, nobody can build a rack that will withstand a cato. So hence the reason for distance.

Do you have a picture of your rack?

Also, when it comes to cans if you have 3" 4" 5" or 6" etc it still will have a max comp, so it really does not matter if it's 5" or not.

Spacing is a topic where some think having spacing is of utmost importance and mock those that don't do spacers. It's really up to you. If you feel it's safe to add spacers, then add spacers... if it gives you peace of mind, then that's a good thing. If you can sleep at night and not do spacers, then do that. Again, distance is your friend. Having spacers is NOT a requirement for consumer racks, but it's not a bad recommendation. Of course, adding spacers usually gives you a bit of added safety. It's a pretty much a requirement for the big 1.3 guns.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures ready to upload for you of a cato rack.

jamisonlm3
12-30-2020, 06:32 PM
You can space or not space your mortars. Pesonally, I'd space them with plywood as spacers. They and the whole rack would be glued and screw/nailed. I wouldn't say 2x4s are worse than osb/plywood, but neither of those are prone to splitting like a solid board. 1x boards are especially prone to splitting. I'd be fine with using 2x4s as a bottom and ripped 2x4s as sides. Just about every rack I've handled has 2x sides and bottoms.

MortarRack
12-30-2020, 07:38 PM
I would not build your racks using treated wood. Using a 2x4 (1.5" thick) wood is just fine for the frame. I actually recommend it.

There are no regulations/rules for consumer racks, but of course following 1.3 guidelines and common sense go a long way. When it comes to fireworks I think the #1 thing you can do is make sure your racks are at a safe distance. They say "distance is your friend" and 100% agree with that. In essence, nobody can build a rack that will withstand a cato. So hence the reason for distance.

Do you have a picture of your rack?

Also, when it comes to cans if you have 3" 4" 5" or 6" etc it still will have a max comp, so it really does not matter if it's 5" or not.

Spacing is a topic where some think having spacing is of utmost importance and mock those that don't do spacers. It's really up to you. If you feel it's safe to add spacers, then add spacers... if it gives you peace of mind, then that's a good thing. If you can sleep at night and not do spacers, then do that. Again, distance is your friend. Having spacers is NOT a requirement for consumer racks, but it's not a bad recommendation. Of course, adding spacers usually gives you a bit of added safety. It's a pretty much a requirement for the big 1.3 guns.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures ready to upload for you of a cato rack.

Do you have a picture of what happens to your inline 6 rack when a CATO happens?

ssmith512
12-30-2020, 07:46 PM
Not my video, but it may be useful to you......

https://youtu.be/87xU-UVnfE0

specialfxpyro
12-30-2020, 08:29 PM
5" color shell CATO

Not sure how much spacers matter once you go above 3"

displayfireworks1
12-30-2020, 08:43 PM
I have to ask some this 5 inch cans terms. Are you referring to 5 inch canister shells in the 1.3 category or what people now call 5 inch cans in the Consumer Fireworks category?

MortarRack
12-31-2020, 08:50 AM
I have to ask some this 5 inch cans terms. Are you referring to 5 inch canister shells in the 1.3 category or what people now call 5 inch cans in the Consumer Fireworks category?

1.4G 60 gram Excalibur Platinum

WithReport
12-31-2020, 10:52 AM
Not my video, but it may be useful to you......

https://youtu.be/87xU-UVnfE0

Good little video: Do keep in mind that it was the 1st tube that CATO'd and was labeled "Really Loud" :)

WithReport
12-31-2020, 11:03 AM
I'm assuming we are talking 5" tall consumer cans. Regarding "consumer" cans, the height doesn't really matter. As for what happens when something catos, I think it is always the smaller "consumer" ball shells that are of a bigger concern. :confused:

To space or not to space - that is always the question.

For consumer racks, I don't give anyone grief about spacing. I think it is a personal choice. As for me, it is more than just safety. here is may list or reasons:

1) We've all seen pictures of bulged tubes after a cato - end spacers provide room for that tube to expand without putting load on the 2x3 end frame.
2) The gas and pressure has to go somewhere. Force = Pressure X Area. The less tightly you contain the tube, the less area you have for the pressure to work against and more room for the pressure to escape
3) If there is a local blow out of the side, I'd think with spacing it should be more likely that the remaining tubes stay pointing upwards rather than falling out of the rack.
4) Long screws or nails through the end frame when setting up racks don't go into the tube. Probably not a big issue with my DR11 racks for stuff that I setup, but I've seen people nail right into (and in some cases through) the wall on larger tubes (Yes, they probably used nails that were too long, too).
5) Gaps provide areas for running igniter wires or tucking them out of the way.
6) The extra spacing gives you some additional options for timing fuse on chains of shell you fuse up. Having all the tubes butted up against each other limits some timing options, if that is something you are after.

MortarRack
01-05-2021, 01:43 PM
5" color shell CATO

Not sure how much spacers matter once you go above 3"

That's crazy! I had one shell blow up right as it had left the tube this New Year's, but because I had everything fused up, we were all a safe distance ;)

Here was my show. Yes, I know it was small xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26W2v6x5tec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26W2v6x5tec

Birdman
01-05-2021, 02:55 PM
In that video of the rack it appeared to be fiberglass tubes and not HDPE. I'm not sure there would be the same damage done to the rack if it were HDPE. The problem shell was marked "?" and he seems to imply it was not an off the shelf 1.4 shell. I've had a few 60g cans flower pot on me now and never any damage to my HDPE tube or rack. This makes me wonder what they are shooting in some of these CATO videos. In my, albeit limited, experience there seems to be little worry about a standard can damaging a tube/rack. This is actually a conversation I've been thinking about starting to see what others have to say. Also, I'm wondering what the difference is between a flower pot and a CATO? Right now I say flower pot when there is no damage done to the tube and CATO when the tube/rack is damaged. I suspect they may be interchangeable terms....what says you?

MortarRack
01-05-2021, 04:50 PM
In that video of the rack it appeared to be fiberglass tubes and not HDPE. I'm not sure there would be the same damage done to the rack if it were HDPE. The problem shell was marked "?" and he seems to imply it was not an off the shelf 1.4 shell. I've had a few 60g cans flower pot on me now and never any damage to my HDPE tube or rack. This makes me wonder what they are shooting in some of these CATO videos. In my, albeit limited, experience there seems to be little worry about a standard can damaging a tube/rack. This is actually a conversation I've been thinking about starting to see what others have to say. Also, I'm wondering what the difference is between a flower pot and a CATO? Right now I say flower pot when there is no damage done to the tube and CATO when the tube/rack is damaged. I suspect they may be interchangeable terms....what says you?

I think they are the same. I am wondering what you call it when a shell breaks right as it leaves the tube (like less than a foot)

Birdman
01-05-2021, 05:11 PM
I think they are the same. I am wondering what you call it when a shell breaks right as it leaves the tube (like less than a foot)

I always just call it a low break but would be interested if there is another term. Could be caused by any number of things. Besides a manufacturing flaw it can happen when your tube is too big for the size shell you loaded into it.