PDA

View Full Version : ID This Explosion

twentyeggs
12-26-2020, 03:38 PM
A few months now someone has been going around and setting off explosions around the Sacramento California area. It?s in the news now. The police are chasing their tails. I?ve heard them several times, convinced they were just some really big aerial shell, or homemade super salute. That is until one happened a about 3/4 mile down from me. It was no firework.

Fireworks have their signature bang. More of a sharp staccato in your chest chest, pow. This was full body slow mo clap. It rattled my windows and I could feel the pressure from the shock wave. It was like being near a pressure bomb. If you?ve ever exploded a 2 liter bottle, (real 2 liter, carbonated bottle ie coke, Pepsi) with dry ice. It was a deep kinda blast like that but much much bigger. Something you would get from a slow explosive I would assume.

I?m trying to rack my brain as to what can cause something like this. I initially though pressure cooker/large pipe bomb, but the explosions are not leaving anything behind, damage or shrapnel. So it?s gotta be some sort of firework right? It sounds exactly like a cannon. But I don?t think it would have the range it does if it weren?t coming from high up. Plus I don?t think anyone is driving around with a signal cannon sticking out of their car. That would get old real fast being sonically pummeled even if you were wearing 3 layers of hearing protection.

It?s not like there are bomb making forums out there so firework forums would be the closest community familiar with explosions. Anyone from the Sacramento area over here? Or anyone with an idea of what it could be based on my description of it?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Arclight
12-26-2020, 04:14 PM
Blasting agents and dynamite do that. You get a low-frequency "thump your chest" shockwave that is much less ear-splitting than a fireworks salute and feels like a lot mor energy is being released. They require no external container to detonate. What you've been hearing could also be Tannerite.