PDA

View Full Version : Rough Draft Letter to Township for Fireworks Permit -- Thoughts?

Chad101
12-22-2020, 02:45 AM
The plan is to email both clerks and copy the township manager.

NOTE: There is absolutely nothing on the township website which pertains to fireworks or the need to pull such a permit. I even combed over the posted noise ordinance.

I'm not really asking for permission, I'm telling them.

To whom this may concern,

I will be conducting a display fireworks show on December 31st, on a private 3 acre plot between XXXXXX st and XXXXX rd, for friends and family only.

The show will start on December 31st at 11:59:50 PM and conclude on January 1st at 12:15 AM, with a hard stop set for 12:25 AM

As required by the ATF, the following items will be listed on my acquisition and disposition records for the dates listed above,

Item #: CP040-100
Manufacturer: Crown Pyro
Desc: 100 Shots Assorted Effects (40 Sec.)
Qty: 1
Video: https://youtu.be/_pRymAw75s8

Next Item Here? etc

I was unable to find an application for a display fireworks permit on the Township website. Could you please email me a copy or provide a link so I may print and return it to the township asap?

Thanks!

*My contact info here*

Chad101
12-22-2020, 03:20 AM
Revised copy below (I'm unable to edit my original post)

To whom this may concern,

I will be conducting a display fireworks show on December 31st, on a private 3 acre plot between XXXXXX st and XXXXX rd, for friends and family only.

The show will start on December 31st at 11:59:50 PM and conclude on January 1st at 12:15 AM, with a hard stop set for 12:25 AM

As required by the ATF, the following items will be listed on my acquisition and disposition records for the dates listed above.

Item #: CP040-100
Manufacturer: Crown Pyro
100 Shots Assorted Effects (40 Sec.)
Qty: 1
Video: https://youtu.be/_pRymAw75s8

Next Item Here? etc

If a permit is required, could you please email me a copy of the application or provide a link so I may print and return it to the township asap?
This is a necessary requirement for my disposition records if such an ordinance exist.

Thanks!

*My contact info here*

Crush630
12-22-2020, 04:41 PM
Why are you listing product used? This isn't required.

Arclight
12-22-2020, 04:55 PM
I would give as little information as possible. You don't want them line by line editing your show.

WithReport
12-22-2020, 06:02 PM
You may want to see what the county or state has. I went through something similar last year for a show in city limits. The city didn't have much information and pointed me to the county fire marshal. County fire marshal's office pointed me back to the city. When I called the fire station they said I needed to talk to the county fire chief. Finally the county chief provided clarified that he was actually on contract with the city to be the AHJ over firework shows. Since the show was only 1.4 and 1.4 Pro, he only required a simple state "exemption" permit. (Basically, the exemption form is for non-1.3, private, or religious displays that do not get charged a permit fee, and there is some debate as to whether that was even required). Your city, county, state may be different, but if the city doesn't have a process, it may default to the county and ultimately the state laws. As for my situation, since the show was on school property there was also various school district permissions and insurance needed.

displayfireworks1
12-22-2020, 07:13 PM
I added your location to your profile. Everyone should at least display what state they are from in your membership. If not then I need to look it up and then add it. Now that I see you are from Michigan and an ATF license holder, I have no idea why you are sending that letter. You shooting on a 3 acre property at midnight for 26 minutes and feel compelled to tell the local authority in a state where Consumer Fireworks are regularly used and sold. If you are looking to get a fireworks permit its probably too late considering NYE is less than 10 days from now.
I'm not telling you what to do. If it was me and 3 acres at midnight, I would cut the time to 10 minutes and just shoot it. I would also lock the gate on the road leading up to the shoot site. Further, I would not shoot one single item until midnight. I would also have a copy of my ATF license in my vehicle.

joewad
12-22-2020, 07:18 PM
I added your location to your profile. Everyone should at least display what state they are from in your membership. If not then I need to look it up and then add it. Now that I see you are from Michigan and an ATF license holder, I have no idea why you are sending that letter. You shooting on a 3 acre property at midnight for 26 minutes and feel compelled to tell the local authority in a state where Consumer Fireworks are regularly used and sold. If you are looking to get a fireworks permit its probably too late considering NYE is less than 10 days from now.
I'm not telling you what to do. If it was me and 3 acres at midnight, I would cut the time to 10 minutes and just shoot it. I would also lock the gate on the road leading up to the shoot site. Further, I would not shoot one single item until midnight. I would also have a copy of my ATF license in my vehicle.

And bingo was his name-o

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5449&stc=1

Chad101
12-23-2020, 01:18 PM

I just now had a chance to check back on this thread.

I spoke to someone at Ace Pyro yesterday about my situation and they pulled up the shoot site on Google earth and made a few recommendations (max shell size, crowd distance, etc).

I read him my letter and they pretty much said the exact same thing as you.

I was also told there’s zero chance I’ll receive my license in the mail before NYE due to the holidays and COVID.

I was invited to tour their facility next Monday @ 9am (which I accepted) and potentially help with a few of their shows this summer. I made it clear this is just a hobby, so if I’m given that opportunity, whatever proceeds I earn, will be donated to the March Of Dimes. The experience I’d gain is more valuable to a paycheck.

I’m reducing the show time to 5 minutes and sticking with consumer grade (1.4) product.