PDA

View Full Version : Making Quick match

gmttnt13
01-16-2012, 08:47 PM
I am in the process of applying for my 54. In case I don't get it or not in time for the 4th, I was pondering this thought.

If I take 2 or 3 lengths of Bigs paper quick fuse and thread it into Pyro Directs leader pipe, would that act like quick match?

Pyro Nation
01-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Yes it would... not as fast though...QM = 60ft/sec this would be like 4 or 5 ft a sec
Here is a excellent video on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwTcJeohoiM

indianahx
01-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Yes...I've done it. You can also break up that same fuse or any other "paper" fuse and harvest the black match out of it. Either way, its not as instantaneous as quick match, but it is damn fast.

Having said that, I really didn't notice THAT big of a speed difference between the fast fuse or the fast fuse in the leader pipe. The biggest advantage to adding the leader pipe to your fast fuse is that the leaders will protect the paper fuse from stray sparks and/or embers.

If you get the leaders do a little test for yourself and see if you like the results and more importantly if its worth the cost and time.

Edit: pyroliffic beat me to it, but I followed the video instructions....I don't think you need to add two or three runs in the same leader (if that's what your asking originally)

gmttnt13
01-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks guys for your fast response and the video.

Minishow
01-17-2012, 01:43 PM
This remindes me of a failure I had last year. I quick fused a roman candle rack then tryed wraping the fuse in foil tape (for duct work) to protect from a jump and try to see if their was a speed diffrence. However when ignited the fuse lit the first 4 candles then shot like a rocket across the yard and pulled the fuses out of the other 8 candles with it. Needless to say I was unable to tell if it was faster or not but I did learn to tape the fuse tight to the rack next time or get ready to duck.

blown2bits
01-17-2012, 03:46 PM
I have a method that is a little more tedious but results are faster than the method posted above, all i do id get pyrodex that is used for shooting muzzle loaders, put some in a small pile and run some masking tape across it so it sticks to it, then you can either get pyrodirects pipe or make some with rolled up news paper on a dowel then just thread the tape through the pipe and your done, either way it pops just like quickmatch, only real problem is it is hard to make a long piece but 3 or 4 foot pieces are a breeze and it is real easy to fuse to. like minishow said, tape it down or it will go flailing around for sure.

indianahx
01-17-2012, 06:27 PM
I have a method that is a little more tedious but results are faster than the method posted above, all i do id get pyrodex that is used for shooting muzzle loaders, put some in a small pile and run some masking tape across it so it sticks to it, then you can either get pyrodirects pipe or make some with rolled up news paper on a dowel then just thread the tape through the pipe and your done, either way it pops just like quickmatch, only real problem is it is hard to make a long piece but 3 or 4 foot pieces are a breeze and it is real easy to fuse to. like minishow said, tape it down or it will go flailing around for sure.

I believe what you're describing is like sticky match. Dave has a video where he lights four cases of Roman candles this way. Am I in the ball park?? Basically sticky match can be bought with a 54...it is a long roll of tape with black powder coated on the sticky side.

blown2bits
01-17-2012, 06:41 PM
its kind of like sticky match but it kind of isn't at the same time, sticky match is two pieces of tape with a powder core running down the middle in between the two pieces. its more like not having black match strands but instead one long strand of narrow powder covered masking tape as the fuse inside the pipe, believe me it puts out a ton of fire and will light anything fused with it and it will pop if you do it right.

indianahx
01-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Makes sense.....