PDA

View Full Version : Rice Hulls

belmec3825
12-09-2020, 11:50 PM
So, I bought a 10 pound box of rice hulls and made some nice lift charge that resembles mouse poop. I was impressed on how well it worked. Save alot of money over granules. But, on my way home from testing those, I stopped at a local yard waste center and scooped up a bucket of wood chips from chainsaws that had cut logs. And wouldn't you know it, they work very well too! They cost me nothing! Just thought I'd share this.

PyroJoeNEPA
12-10-2020, 11:49 AM
Interesting. More than one way to skin a cat! In Italy the common media is cork pieces, over here cotton seeds and ground corn husks are also used as an alternate to rice hulls. I even remember a few posts about people using cereal as a medium.
I would wonder about the moisture absorption of the wood chips--I imagine it would differ with different varieties of wood?
Did you use a 4 to 1 or 7 to one ratio for your BP coating?
Great to see different innovations---and you can't argue with "free".

belmec3825
12-10-2020, 06:48 PM
I didn't really measure the first batch. but the second one i made early this morning was 5 layers. I used a mix of 70% isopropyl alcohol and water in a little spritz bottle and a small tub. I spray the chips until they are just a little shiny. then i add in 2 table spoons of 75-15-10 ball milled bp and 5% dextrin and shake when the chips seem to take on all the powder that they will, i repeat with 4 layers. the 5th layer is just bp, no dextrin. then i dry them in front of a small heater on a sheet pan. they dry fast and burn fast.