PDA

View Full Version : What can I do SAFELY in advance

Bitzan
12-06-2020, 03:25 PM
My goal is to do as much in adavance of "show day" as I can while still being safe. Can I poke cakes insert MJG and glue to board and then store in garage? Can I insert MJG into 62mm preloads and store? Can I put the MJG quick plug into the Cobra module or is best not to? As insight into what I currently shoot / use:
Cobra Firing system
MJG Initiators
1.4 cakes
1.4 canister shells
1.4 pro single shots (Dominator pre-load 62 mm)

Shoot site is next door so everything gets loaded into a cart attached to lawnmower and towed over.

Thanks in advance for any and all insight. Want to make sure I am being safe.

WithReport
12-06-2020, 06:53 PM
Note: Many strobes, flames, bursts, and small fountains come pre matched from from the manufacture. A small stage fountain going off may not be the same as a 62mm single shot, but many transport cases of single shots and shells with the pre-matched items.

I will "pre-initiate" at home for shoots on our property. I leave the bay door and person door open to make sure there are exit paths. There are also 4 water cans hanging on the wall.

Delloman
04-12-2021, 01:48 AM
I did it last year if the wires on the mlg are crossed they are "safe" I poke everything i can before hand and fuse and zip the fuse on my milk crates and racks

Birdman
04-12-2021, 11:15 PM
Poking and inserting MJG's is one thing. I'll poke even if I need to transport my product. I tape the hole to make sure no lift charge falls out. I'll insert MJG's once the product is done being transported (i.e. is at the shoot site). I store my product in a shed or detached garage so that does add a level of safety that makes me more comfortable doing this.

Wiring them to mods is a different story. The MJG's should remain shunted until setup IMO. I label the end of each wire with the mod/channel and cue number to make things go faster when I setup. You can shunt slats if you're using them so that is another option to speed things up.

Arclight
04-13-2021, 12:33 PM
In blasting, electric caps are considered "safed" if the wires are shorted out (shunted) and there is no energy source attached. I would agree that you shouldn't store them installed unless the ends are shorted somehow.

Aljhone
05-18-2022, 02:04 AM